Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I think I'm Discoverist now. Is Explorist the old Hyatt Diamond?

Their new names are stupid and confusing.
No, Hyatt has 4 tiers now.

Globalist - the equivalent of their old Diamond tier.
Explorist - a little better than their Gold tier
Discoverist - a little worst than their God tier

I was Hyatt Diamond, then Hyatt Globalist, now Hyatt Explorist. Simply not enough of them around for me to keep up. I'll just pay the $450 and enjoy my Hilton DM on East Asian Hilton properties.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
No, Hyatt has 4 tiers now.

Globalist - the equivalent of their old Diamond tier.
Explorist - a little better than their Gold tier
I think you mean Platinum, not Gold. Plat and Diamond were their two elite levels.

Discoverist - a little worst than their God tier
Never heard that they had that one. Sounds... inspirational. Or aspirational?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
A ticket over $100 requires using certs or credit to bring down the price. An actual ticket under $100 should be reimbursed (as it stands now); basically, the system assumed you bought $99 worth of "incidentals".
That's weird. Why doesn't it think it's a $99 ticket? If I get the Aspire and buy a ticket, I guess I'll see what happens. Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That's weird. Why doesn't it think it's a $99 ticket? If I get the Aspire and buy a ticket, I guess I'll see what happens. Thanks.
Long thread about AS reimbursements in the Amex forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...orts-only.html

(Read the wiki post at the top if you are interested in equivalent threads for other airlines)

Start here for AS low-$$ value ticket reimbursement reports.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Long thread about AS reimbursements in the Amex forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...orts-only.html

(Read the wiki post at the top if you are interested in equivalent threads for other airlines)

Start here for AS low-$$ value ticket reimbursement reports.
Thanks nqa, I didn't read all 37 pages just this year - it was enough to give me the info, as I said our flights to west cities are often under $100 so I'll give that a try.

We're taking our family on a trip in April and we're all flying together - if we buy drinks and food for all of us on the plane it will ALL be credited, right? The grandkids will love their own bags of M&Ms, and Mom and Dad will appreciate free cocktails. And this will be the same trip we hope to use the Hilton Resort credit.

Just hope we can get this card.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
Yeah, I think the executive lounge is going to get a little more crowded.
While I think it's possible that the lounges may become more crowded, I've stayed in Hilton properties all over the world for many years as a Diamond and have rarely experienced any crowding. The CDG lounge has been quite crowded a couple of times, but always there are people who will share a table or area so I could enjoy a nice glass of champers and some wonderful French food.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Need
I wonder if the Aspire card would be metal like the other Amex $450+ cards?
You made me laugh out loud, Need. I was wondering the same thing but decided that only a person with a small mind would wonder. I get a real kick out of people noticing the fatter CSR card ... I tell 'em that I'm a serious big shot and have a special card.

I'm just glad that AmEx has FINALLY stepped up to the plate with the new HH Aspire card. I love HH and was recently lamenting losing my Diamond status for 2018, so come January 18 I'll be a happy camper with Aspire.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:12 pm

Do we have any informed speculation on whether the Ascend will officially be a separate Amex product from Surpass (thus making current/recent Surpass cardholders eligible for the signup bonus) or just a refresh?

Last edited by beltway; Nov 3, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
OMG, the lounges are going to be flooded with people who never stay in the hotels paying $450/year for this card!

It's so hard to have intelligent discourse on this topic when so many people resort to complete hyperbole ...
Really? There's no measurable benefit to earning 50% more Honors points on each stay? I don't disagree that Honors points have been devalued over time, but I'm pretty sure they're not literally completely worthless despite some of the hyperbole here on FT.

Hilton should see some lesson from hypothetical products that have never existed and their hypothetical impacts that have never occurred?
Two things Beckles: FlyerTalk seems to attract negative people and they love to ramble on about the negative aspects of nearly anything. These guys' posts I just ignore. Two, Hilton will add a super-top tier to HH, not to worry. They'll look at the new AmEx cards for a bit, esp the Aspire, then they'll figure out how to keep their very top people happy. Chase has been eating AmEx's lunch for years and I'm personally thrilled that AmEx has finally noticed.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Do we have any informed speculation on whether the Aspire will officially be a separate Amex product from Surpass (thus making current/recent Surpass cardholders eligible for the signup bonus) or just a refresh?
redacted

Last edited by Eujeanie; Nov 4, 2017 at 4:37 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cce5858
Sucks for the non-Americans who do not have access to the Aspire card LOL and have to earn Diamond status through actual stays (who actually does this?)
i earn status through stays...i dont fly much and I certainly cannot justify a $450 credit card.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by jsn55
Two things Beckles: FlyerTalk seems to attract negative people and they love to ramble on about the negative aspects of nearly anything. These guys' posts I just ignore. Two, Hilton will add a super-top tier to HH, not to worry. They'll look at the new AmEx cards for a bit, esp the Aspire, then they'll figure out how to keep their very top people happy. Chase has been eating AmEx's lunch for years and I'm personally thrilled that AmEx has finally noticed.
Really? And you know this how exactly or are you just repeating rumors started on other travel sites that are also baseless?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by jsn55
While I think it's possible that the lounges may become more crowded, I've stayed in Hilton properties all over the world for many years as a Diamond and have rarely experienced any crowding. The CDG lounge has been quite crowded a couple of times, but always there are people who will share a table or area so I could enjoy a nice glass of champers and some wonderful French food.
Go the the LAX Hilton on a Wednesday night at 7:00. Floor seating only. Miserable.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
With the Citibank Hilton Reserve, the free weekend night for spending $10,000 was based on cardmember years and the $40,000 in spending to obtain diamond status was based on a calendar year. So, by spending at least $10,000 in one membership year and the remainder of the $40,000 in the next membership year but same calendar year, the cardholder would have diamond membership for the current and the following calendar year plus two free weekend nights for two $95 annual fees and the opportunity cost of spending the money on the Hilton credit card.

Since many people have better options for spending $40,000 than with the Hilton card, I assumed a 1% loss on Hilton Reserve charges which would make the cost for almost two years of diamond status and two free nights 2*$95 + .01*$40,000 = $580. With the Aspire card, the cardholder would pay 2*$450 = $900 minus the amount of credits utilized and still receive two free nights and diamond status. While the Aspire will make the process simpler and more rewarding for those who take advantage of the $250 credits each year and other benefits, it’s not as if there wasn’t a relatively inexpensive option of obtaining diamond status previously.
I look at it the same way as far as the free night. It used to be the breakeven for a free night on the Reserve Visa was 1% on the $10k plus the $95 AF, or $195. Now, with the $15k threshold, the room has to be at least $245 for it to be worthwhile. If you go to NYC, you'll likely get that. Otherwise, it might be more difficult to come out ahead. I think I'll go back to using USAA Limitless for non-category spending.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by timfountain
Go the the LAX Hilton on a Wednesday night at 7:00. Floor seating only. Miserable.
It's the same way at breakfast at the LAX Hilton and it isn't open between lunch and happy hours.

A lot of the problem with the LAX Hilton is ALL gold's get access. The Palmer House in Chicago used to have the same issue and after enough complaints they finally start giving gold's a different breakfast option and only give diamond's and exec level guests access and that has cut down on the congestion considerably. The thing to do as a diamond at a property with a crowded lounge that gives everyone access is to complain and also ask for a breakfast voucher in the restaurant if you can't find a seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.