Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Evo40
For the other AMEX cards with this benefit, you can have multiple incidental charges under the threshold with your selected airline...and should get reimbursed shortly after each charge is posted, up to the maximum $250 benefit.

See also: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...redit/platinum
Oh thank you, that's great. Will make it an easy decision just to buy food on board rather than the terminal. And while we probably will never hit $250, it's still a nice perk.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:33 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
For those of us who already have the Surpass Card do we get 10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience? If so, when can we start using this perk?
Yes, those will begin on January 18, 2018.

Any word on when we would receive the free night certs for $10,000 spend if we have already completed that spend? Are we still going to be waiting for our cardholder anniversary date?

Citi Reserve cardmembers who have already spent the $10,000 should receive the email with the reward code in it on the anniversary date.

What happens if I have a Citi Reserve and AMEX Surpass? Am I really going to have two AMEX Hilton cards?
Yes, you will end up with two Amex Ascend cards - recommend calling Amex to discuss your options.

Will the statement credit apply to points/certificate bookings that have the Aspire card tied to the booking, or only certain paid rates?
The resort statement credit is used on a hotel charge made at one of the resorts using the Aspire card. If you book a resort and use only Points, there would be no expense to credit on your Aspire. Any paid rate for a resort listed on Hilton.com/resorts made through a Hilton booking channel will see the credit

What happens if you have an open Citi NAF Signature Visa and also have an open NAF Hilton Amex? What card will you be given?
As mentioned above, you will end up with two NAF Hilton Amex cards. Best advice is to call Amex to discuss your options

Thank you,
Lauren
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SacTownDogLover
...will we have two of the same no-fee Hilton American Express cards?
Not all Citi card accounts will be purchased by American Express. You will receive a letter telling you if your accounts are to be purchased. Hilton addresses the duplicate account possibility is this FAQ:

Q: What if I already have the Hilton Honors Card from American Express and/or the Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express?

A: If you already have a Hilton Honors American Express Card, you will still receive an additional Hilton Honors American Express Card if your Citi Hilton Honors Card transfers to American Express. Please contact American Express after your account transfers to discuss options for your accounts.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Still not clear whether you need to let the Reserve card morph into an Ascend card in order to get the weekend cert.

I have both a Reserve and Surpass, so don't really need two Ascend cards, but may have to keep it open to get the weekend cert.

They're handling this very poorly given that many of us will end up with two identical cards at Amex.

Last edited by stanj; Nov 2, 2017 at 10:46 am
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
^ to no Forex fees.

to ability to have more fake diamond members who simply shell out $450.

I guess short cuts to status for $$ is the new name of the game.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:29 am

I have two Surpass Cards--one for personal and one for business expenses. I also have a back-up Citi Reserve card that I use for international travel and locations that don't accept AmEx. With the foreign transaction fees being eliminated by AmEx once the new cards are released in February, I really would be in no need of the third card so I will cancel it; however, if I continue with my two Surpass/Ascend cards (one for business and one for personal), will I be entitled to an annual free night on each card if I meet the spending requirements, or will there be some sort of limit?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
From the way I interpret this, the resort credit will cover incidental charges at resorts.

"Eligible Hilton Resort purchases must be made directly with the participating Hilton Resort and charged to your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card at checkout in order for them to be recognized as Hilton Resort purchases."
In Lauren's thread, she mentioned that the credit can be used to pay for the room rate.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Never have researched Priority Pass much but once I receive my Ascend card I'll have to give it a try. It appears the 10 free passes are for me and guests would have to pay $27 each. However, what about Authorized Users on my Ascend? Will they also get 10 passes?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by mnredfox

I guess short cuts to status for $$ is the new name of the game.
Hilton must believe they can get more out of this Diamond give-away than they can tying status to stays.

Originally Posted by tgboger
Never have researched Priority Pass much but once I receive my Ascend card I'll have to give it a try. It appears the 10 free passes are for me and guests would have to pay $27 each. However, what about Authorized Users on my Ascend? Will they also get 10 passes?
I saw something to the effect that you can bring in 2 guests for free.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by stanj
Hilton must believe they can get more out of this Diamond give-away than they can tying status to stays.

I saw something to the effect that you can bring in 2 guests for free.
I think the two guests for free was tied to the unlimited visits for Aspire cardholders, not to the 10 free visits for Ascend cardholders. I don't think we have seen anything about how the 10 free visits will work (whether they will be only for the cardholder or if the cardholder could go once with 9 of her closest friends)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by tgboger

Mixed bag:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...=priority-pass
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Will food and beverage purchases in an airline lounge count towards the credit?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I think the two guests for free was tied to the unlimited visits for Aspire cardholders, not to the 10 free visits for Ascend cardholders. I don't think we have seen anything about how the 10 free visits will work (whether they will be only for the cardholder or if the cardholder could go once with 9 of her closest friends)
You're right. Guess we'll have to wait and see on the Ascend card.

Since I rarely go in to a lounge alone, that would be another reason for me to go for the Aspire.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
This is a great move by Hilton. Yes purist will be disappointed by the $450/Diamond, but for someone like me it is a great incentive. I usually split my hotel stays 80/20 SPG/Hyatt. Simply because Hyatt Explorist is better than Hilton Gold. Now, I will likely abandon Hyatt and jump to Hilton. For those that claims Hilton Gold and Diamond are treated the same in USA, that's completely true, but not elsewhere in the world. I had a Diamond challenge year and spend nights in China's Hilton properties, and I was treated like royalty with 100% upgrade rate to Suites.

Hilton will be winning at least 15-20 nights from me annually, with spending at hotel properties. That might seem small, but if massive number of us jump ship, it's a big gain for Hilton.

Will enough purist be upset by this and move to SPG/Hyat/IHG? Some will, but I really think the gains will outweight the loss, which is what Hilton's banking on.

As soon as this is launch count me in as a "Fake" Hilton Diamond. $450 is a very small price to pay for this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Will food and beverage purchases in an airline lounge count towards the credit?
I don't think I've ever been in a lounge that charged for F&B?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.