Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Seeing the Tropicana in Vegas and a couple of the HGVC's in Vegas charge resort fees is the resort credits can be used there.

This credit card really is devaluing diamond status though. A $450 annual fee on a credit card that give you $250 in airline credits plus a free night that is easily worth more than $200 a night, they are literally saying it's worth nothing.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Seeing the Tropicana in Vegas and a couple of the HGVC's in Vegas charge resort fees is the resort credits can be used there.

This credit card really is devaluing diamond status though. A $450 annual fee on a credit card that give you $250 in airline credits plus a free night that is easily worth more than $200 a night, they are literally saying it's worth nothing.
Well, can you quantify what it is worth?

I have done mattress runs to make diamond, but the only value I can place on diamond itself is if I know I'm traveling to the UK and staying in a hotel with a lounge. I value the lounge at $60 per night because that is what it usually costs to upgrade to executive level per night. If I can at least break even on that calculation, I do it because we enjoy it.

For my US based travel, there is no measurable benefit to diamond over gold.

I don't feel particularly enticed or threatened by the diamond via CC. I don't see the general US population rushing to get diamond via this method. Diamond isn't otherwise impossible or overwhelmingly beneficial.

We all recognize the mind games being played with "status" and being told that any of us are a special customer. That seems to be the main point here. People want to feel rewarded rather than manipulated.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by IcHot
Well, can you quantify what it is worth?

I have done mattress runs to make diamond, but the only value I can place on diamond itself is if I know I'm traveling to the UK and staying in a hotel with a lounge. I value the lounge at $60 per night because that is what it usually costs to upgrade to executive level per night. If I can at least break even on that calculation, I do it because we enjoy it.

For my US based travel, there is no measurable benefit to diamond over gold.

I don't feel particularly enticed or threatened by the diamond via CC. I don't see the general US population rushing to get diamond via this method. Diamond isn't otherwise impossible or overwhelmingly beneficial.

We all recognize the mind games being played with "status" and being told that any of us are a special customer. That seems to be the main point here. People want to feel rewarded rather than manipulated.
Diamond is nice to have outside North American at a lot of properties. But some of them are starting to devalue diamond benefits like the Trafalgar in London.

I was gold back in 2001 and was treated a lot better back then than as a diamond in recent years. I think it's because there are so many gold's and diamonds now.

I am also a diamond at Hyatt where diamond status can't be earned by just a simple credit card spend (they will give a stay/night credit after $40K spend but you still have to have quite a few stays to qualify as diamond) and the treatment at Hyatt is amazing compared to Hilton.

By devaluing the benefits so much they are losing a lot of their road warriors. Most of my business stays go to Hyatt now and those are weekday stays usually on high rates. I'd think a hotel chain would rather have a business traveller who has 60+ nights a year at higher rates (and a lot of times using services like laundry and room service that are real cash cows) over a credit card holder who books cheaper leisure rates but maybe Hilton is making enough off of Am Ex that it doesn't matter.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative

Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
• Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status; Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
I'm unclear about obtaining Diamond status if one gets the Ascend Card.

If you have the card, do you get Diamond status only if you spend at least $40,000 using the card?

Or do you get Diamond status if you have the card and stay an additional 10 nights at Hilton family hotels (being the 30 stays required for Diamond less, I suppose, the 20 stays that are typically required to have Gold status but which are credited to you via the card)?

Or do you get Diamond status if you have the card, but don't spend $40K using it, but do stay the usual 30 nights at Hilton family hotels?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
The biggest perk for regular travelers who used the Citi Hilton Reserve card to collect points, was to get 5x points for travel related charges. This seems to be missing from ALL the new Citi Hilton Amex card benefits...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
The biggest perk for regular travelers who used the Citi Hilton Reserve card to collect points, was to get 5x points for travel related charges. This seems to be missing from ALL the new Citi Hilton Amex card benefits...
Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
• 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on U.S. restaurants, flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, and car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies

Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
• 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies and at U.S. restaurants
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I'm unclear about obtaining Diamond status if one gets the Ascend Card.

If you have the card, do you get Diamond status only if you spend at least $40,000 using the card?

Or do you get Diamond status if you have the card and stay an additional 10 nights at Hilton family hotels (being the 30 stays required for Diamond less, I suppose, the 20 stays that are typically required to have Gold status but which are credited to you via the card)?

Or do you get Diamond status if you have the card, but don't spend $40K using it, but do stay the usual 30 nights at Hilton family hotels?
The terms to me don't look ambiguous at all. The bolded is how this ought to work. You have automatic Gold status, and spend $40k+, you get upgraded to Diamond.

This will probably work the same way the SPG Gold via the Platinum card works. You're granted gold status, but if you want to earn Platinum, you start at the bottom. 0 elite nights and stays. It doesn't start you off as if you had earned Gold.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm hoping with the Ascend that Hyatt and SPG will follow and offer a higher fee credit card with their top status. I would be willing to pay a $450 a year AF for plat status with SPG and it would get them a lot more stays from me with the Delta crossover program.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hilton offers a new tier for people that stay all of nights in their hotels a lot giving them more benefits and priority for upgrades like SPG does for their guests that stay 50 or 75 nights a year. And as someone that used to qualify for diamonds on nights/stays and and spend in the past and is now relying on the credit card spend to maintain diamond (I got tired of the devaluations by Hilton and try to give my stays to Hyatt now but unfortunately Hilton is in some places I go to Hyatt isn't) I totally think that is fair. Hilton should be awarding their guests that spend 60+ nights a year over someone with a credit card.
Hyatt and Marriott will never offer top status with a credit card like Hilton. Hyatt prefers to give fast track offers to targeted customers, and Marriott will extend platinum status for long term customers who fall short for a given year. Marriott also allows customers who do not get a courtesy status extension to buy back their gold or platinum status for another year with award points.

The Ritz Carlton Visa from Chase gives gold status for one year, and you keep gold if you spend 10k/year on the card. Marriott already gives gold to United gold and higher elites.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VA1379
The Ritz Carlton Visa from Chase gives gold status for one year, and you keep gold if you spend 10k/year on the card.
You can also obtain Platinum if you spend $75k/yr, so measurably higher than the Hilton spend level to earn Diamond and one that I doubt many people would hit anyway. But hey it is an option that's available!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:35 am

Lauren,

In regards to the Aspire One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio with your new Card and each year of Card Membership:

Is that a particular certificate (I think there was a "be our guest" or some other certificate)?

Or is that a *reward* stay (standard room)?

Also, are there any other restrictions on that? Like some of the certificates could only be used at an actual Hilton (not Conrad, or Waldorf Astoria, etc.) hotel.

I'm assuming if it's a *reward* stay then it'll be capacity-controlled and other restrictions ?

thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:58 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SacTownDogLover
What happens if we currently/already have both the no-fee Hilton American Express card and the no-fee Hilton Citi Card? Will the cards be merged? If so, will they add up the credit limits? What does that mean for the age of the accounts? If they won’t merge, will we have two of the same no-fee Hilton American Express cards? if so, what happens if we already have four personal American Express cards?

Or, since I already have the no-fee Hilton American Express card, can the no fee Citi card be converted to one of the other three Hilton American Express cards (Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card, Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, or Hilton Honors American Express Business Card) instead of a second no-fee Hilton American Express card?

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I can't answer knowledgeably, but my guess is that the cards will not merge. Rather you will have several AMEX cards. I do not believe a no fee card can be converted unilaterally by AMEX into a fee card.

I know I am going to need to do some purging of my cards. Not only will I have dupe Hilton AMEX cards once the changeover occurs, but the number of AMEX cards I will end up having will prevent me from being able to apply for any other non Hilton AMEX cards that I want. AMEX puts a cap on the maximum number of cards we are able to have.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I know some of you have had other cards that give the airline credit, so can you please explain some things to me...

Is it cumulative? Say I'm in Y and I want an extra cocktail (already get one free with AS) and something to eat, so a $15 charge. Do that several times throughout the year. Is it at the end of the year that they cover all these charges I have made? (say they add up to $100 or so). Or do they cancel them out every month until I reach $250?

Or does it have to be a one-time charge, say two $125 change fees? (which I don't have since with AS Gold status you have no change fees).

I'm really trying to see if the numbers work for this Aspire card.

Another factor would be the one that was just asked a few posts ago regarding the Free Hilton night - a fabulous $500/nt hotel ok? Or is it restricted to a certain dollar amount, etc.?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
One more question, Lauren...will an AU be free on the Aspire card?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I know some of you have had other cards that give the airline credit, so can you please explain some things to me...

Is it cumulative? Say I'm in Y and I want an extra cocktail (already get one free with AS) and something to eat, so a $15 charge. Do that several times throughout the year. Is it at the end of the year that they cover all these charges I have made? (say they add up to $100 or so). Or do they cancel them out every month until I reach $250?

Or does it have to be a one-time charge, say two $125 change fees? (which I don't have since with AS Gold status you have no change fees).

I'm really trying to see if the numbers work for this Aspire card.
For the other AMEX cards with this benefit, you can have multiple incidental charges under the threshold with your selected airline...and should get reimbursed shortly after each charge is posted, up to the maximum $250 benefit.

See also: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...redit/platinum
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
The terms to me don't look ambiguous at all. The bolded is how this ought to work. You have automatic Gold status, and spend $40k+, you get upgraded to Diamond.

This will probably work the same way the SPG Gold via the Platinum card works. You're granted gold status, but if you want to earn Platinum, you start at the bottom. 0 elite nights and stays. It doesn't start you off as if you had earned Gold.
Under the current system with AMEX Surpass, you get automatic Gold, but no elite night/stay credits. If you want to earn Diamond (outside of Aspire, status-matching, etc.), you'll have to meet the full requirements.

This is NOT like the Marriott card which gives you 15 elite nights (and more with spending) or the SPG card which gives you a few elite nights/stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.