Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Sorry - got cut out during the copy/paste process. You're correct, the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card has a $95 annual fee.

Just updated the original post.

Thanks!
Lauren
My wife and dad downgraded their Surpass cards back to the NAF Hilton AMex card months ago and received and email today saying they will be receiving the new Ascend card

How can they be sure that the new Ascend card will not be issued ?

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 1, 2017 at 3:30 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Lets be real here. Yes this sucks, but what does Diamond offer in the US over gold other than guaranteed lounge access? Domestic lounges kinda suck anyway. I think the kind of people that will sign up for this card aren't likely to stay at Hilton all that much anyway (otherwise they would be diamond) and likely wont impact the (meager) upgrade opportunities we get as Diamonds. Overall a devaluation of Diamond, but not as much as I think it is being made out to be.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by skunker
What happens if I have a Citi Reserve and AMEX Surpass? Am I really going to have two AMEX Hilton cards?
Yes, you will. This is answered in the FAQ (http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:03 pm

I think I know my plan, assuming my Citi card does convert to AMEX. Note I already have the Surpass AMEX card, which offered me a free weekend night at my 1-year anniversary.

1. I am over 70% to my $10k anniversary night spend (which comes up in February). I think I can get there in the next three months, so I might as well keep the card until I get the certificate. Even with the second AF, it's like getting a room for $95 (regardless of the actual rate). I will have a total of two weekend nights in 2018 across both cards.

2. I will cancel the converted Citi card once it transfers to AMEX and find out what "options" they are offering to those with multiple cards.

3. I do think something will happen to HH benefits now that people can buy into Diamond. If things are diluted enough for Gold members, I will likely apply for Aspire, even though I have a high-AF card already in CSR.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:10 pm

What happens if you have an open Citi NAF Signature Visa and also have an open NAF Hilton Amex ?

What card will you be given ?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Sorry - got cut out during the copy/paste process. You're correct, the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card has a $95 annual fee.

Just updated the original post.

Thanks!
Lauren
Lauren,
Why did you choose this post to reply to. There a tons of comments about concerns to Diamond devaluation and you have not addressed a single one of them that I can find.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I predict this card will have a statistically negligible impact on the ratio of Diamond room-nights to total room-nights systemwide on any given night.

Diamond, Gold, and the points themselves have been hugely devalued over the years. Hilton has obviously decided to pursue a very simple transactional strategy with us - pay X get Y free stays - as opposed to a real loyalty/recognition approach. But this has been in the making for years, and this credit card announcement is of relatively little consequence to that.

I for one think the card offerings are pretty good. ^ The people who should be most excited are those who wanted a lounge-access card but didn't want to jump into a $450 card. For the medium-frequency traveler, 10 lounge passes probably covers your biggest international trips with the greatest need for a lounge.

I'm torn myself on whether to take the Ascend that I'll automatically get or bump up to the Aspire. $250 in airline incidentals is weak because I know how to avoid the strict definition of incidentals that Amex uses. And I don't want to feel obligated to go to resort-y properties every year just to claim my "free" $250. I may sit back in Year 1 and see if an attractive up-gauge promotion hits my inbox. Otherwise, I'll take Gold and move on.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain
Meh, I think this is the last year for me being even vaguely loyal to Hilton. I've recently been staying at Marriotts and even as a lowly gold, they treat me a lot better than Hilton does as a Diamond. I am head on pillow Diamond - 55 stays, 79 nights, 192k base points.

I'll go for a status match to Marriott Platinum in Dec and see what next year brings.....

Adios Hilton.
I have Lifetime Diamond so no reason to stick around.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Did you not read the benefits of the Aspire card? Or you are so math-challenged that you cannot see the "rebates"?

The card gives $250 credit on airline incidentals pretty much the same way as the AMEX Plat card.

The card also gives $250 credit on stays at Hilton hotels and Resort.

These 2 alone, already is $50 MORE than the $450 fee charged.

Not to mention you also get the complementary Priority Pass for airport lounge access.

Oh, there is also a $100 credit for staying at W-A brand.

And the 14pts per $ earning at Hilton properties....

It remains to be seen HOW the $250 stay credit is defined. From the surface of what are known so far, you are PAID $50 to become a fake Diamond plus other benefits.

Pretty sure AMEX does not eat all the costs of the benefits associated with the Aspire card. Though your comment sounds like you think Hilton corp does not bear any of those costs...
Amex Platinum {(gold Status) Cost 600 Euros per year} and Amex Centurion{( Diamond Status) cost 2500 Euros per year offer a wide array of benefits [ from insurance to concierge service] as this Amex Hilton card and still they made money. Since Amex collect 1.9% for each transaction and I believe that the Hilton corporation will be taking a percentange of each transaction made with this cards.

Maybe you don't see the business value for Amex and Hilton but let me assure this a contract is worth hundred of millions of dollars for the duration of the contract.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by RolfD
I find you statement ludicrous. the Hilton corporations is not given anything for free. what difference that makes if you have a Diamond status via Amex centurion or you have the new Hilton honors Aspire card ($450.00)
What is the ratio of people who are offered or qualify to Amex Centurion vs these cards. It is like comparing apples to bowling balls.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:34 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Saw a handful of questions come through today - see responses below. Following up on some others and will share an update in the AM.

I currently have the Citi Hilton Reserve, anniversary date 8/1 and I have already earned a free night with over $10K spending since my anniversary date. If I spend $15K on my new Amex card between 2/1 and 8/1 will I earn another free night? If the answer is no the first free night certificate I would receive from Amex would be in August 2020 (since I would earn it by spending $15K between 8/18 and 8/19) and by then I would have paid Amex $285 in annual fees.
Yes, you will receive another weekend night if you spend $15K between 2/1 and 8/1/18.

Does the unlimited Priority Pass include any guests?

You can bring in up to 2 guests per visit at no additional charge.

Will there be opportunity/option for current Surpass cardholders to upgrade to the Aspire card? Or would we have to go through the normal application process?
Yes, upgrading your account will be available after January 18, 2018.

$250 Airline incidental fee statement credit - How does this work on the Amex side? Does it use the same "engine" as the Platinum/Centurion American Express cards? I've read that those cards requires you select an airline before you use your card to get it credited. And you can only change it once a year. Is this how it works with this card? Incidentals means not airline award taxes, upgrade fees?
Correct, it uses the same engine as the Platinum/Centurion cards and follows the same terms and conditions as to what is defined as an incidental.

$250 Hilton resort statement credit - Is this only for resort hotels - is there a list of which ones are eligible for this credit?

Yes, www.hilton.com/resorts lists out all of our resort hotels. You need to use your Aspire card to pay for the resort stay at one of these hotels in order to earn the $250 statement credit.

$100 on-property credit at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts when booking the exclusive Aspire Card package - What is the exclusive Aspire Card package?
On January 18 we will have an online booking portal where Aspire card members will have to verify their card account. That will provide you access to our booking portal and you will be able to book the $100 property credit package. It requires a 2 night minimum stay.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG

$250 Hilton resort statement credit - Is this only for resort hotels - is there a list of which ones are eligible for this credit?

Yes, www.hilton.com/resorts lists out all of our resort hotels. You need to use your Aspire card to pay for the resort stay at one of these hotels in order to earn the $250 statement credit.
Will the statement credit apply to points/certificate bookings that have the Aspire card tied to the booking, or only certain paid rates? Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Lauren,
Why did you choose this post to reply to. There a tons of comments about concerns to Diamond devaluation and you have not addressed a single one of them that I can find.
Possibly because there is no rational response to people complaining about something that did not happen. There has been no change to the benefits of Diamond status.
If you are instead talking about the jealousy that is being written about that some others might get some benefits that apparently should be reserved for a chosen few, then I don't think that Lauren is in a position to reverse a decision made during negotiations between AMEX and Hilton.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
What is the ratio of people who are offered or qualify to Amex Centurion vs these cards. It is like comparing apples to bowling balls.

A centurion card is an invitation only card, if you manage to spend few hundred thousand Euros per year and want to pay a fee of 5000 Euros plus an annual fee of 2500 Euros the card will be yours.

If you travel a lot on business or first class and stay at 5 stars hotels a lot you can spend more than few hundred thousand dollars per year

Clearly this card Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card is not market to everybody .

Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card compare to other Amex Cards e.g Amex platinum ( elite status with sixt, hertz, avis, spg, melia, rezzidor, hilton, marriott, travel insurance, global entry fee, etc.... etc.... for 600 Euros);the benefits are minimal for the high annual fee

Last edited by RolfD; Nov 1, 2017 at 4:29 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I have Lifetime Diamond so no reason to stick around.
Now that you have LTD you can pick and choose where you stay; Hilton knows this and they know of the many hundreds/thousands of other members in your exact same situation who can pick and choose now that "earning" status is not even a consideration. They need new or existing members who are handed out (apart from paying $450) status so they can (maybe blindly) choose to stay at their hotels more often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.