Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Yes I know exactly how"cheaply one could get Diamond".....EXACTLY...qualify for the card and they will PAY YOU $50
Not exactly. You have to bother with credits and stays and think Diamond is worthwhile.

In the US, it is of marginal value. For those who think it is of real value, it is easily achievable anyway.

I suspect you are not being realistic about the population. The people who would think this is a great deal are likely diamonds already.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Questions:

- Is it $250 credit on any airline expense, as with the Citi Thank You card, or is Amex using a tighter definition of "incidental"? If so, what is that definition? (e.g. Kiosk upgrades, baggage fees, paid upgrades to Economy Plus type seats, ticket change fees, etc.)

- Honors hasn't typically called out "resorts" in the past like Marriott has. Is the $250 Hilton credit only at some subset of the properties in the portfolio? Hilton brand only, with "resort" in the title? It's a rather loose term that some brands slap on all sorts of hotels that the naked eye wouldn't really think of as a "resort".

- Priority Pass guests? Citi Prestige allows 2 additional adults in their T's & C's, and they can be on different PNRs or flying to different cities than the cardholder. CSR technically doesn't impose a guest limit, although the lounges can. Other products charge for guests or allow just you + family on a single PNR.

- Which rental car agencies and can I book any rate via any channel with those agencies?

Looks like a solid product. I'm *probably* in, unless the restrictions on the credits are too tight.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:56 am
Suspended

The only thing I treasure in the US is the Hampton diamond parking space so I can make jokes about what a big shot I am. Conversely, I can make ridiculous tongue in cheek rants about how they are diluting Diamond when the space is full.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
Questions:

- Is it $250 credit on any airline expense, as with the Citi Thank You card, or is Amex using a tighter definition of "incidental"? If so, what is that definition? (e.g. Kiosk upgrades, baggage fees, paid upgrades to Economy Plus type seats, ticket change fees, etc.)

- Honors hasn't typically called out "resorts" in the past like Marriott has. Is the $250 Hilton credit only at some subset of the properties in the portfolio? Hilton brand only, with "resort" in the title? It's a rather loose term that some brands slap on all sorts of hotels that the naked eye wouldn't really think of as a "resort".
My best guesses:

* The $250 airline incidentals credit will work the same was it does for the AMEX Platinum or Gold. You'll have a to pick an airline each year and can only get reimbursed for non-airfare-ticket expenses like: baggage fees, in-flight dining, ticket change fees club/lounge memberships. Upgrades would be excluded; gifts cards, too (at least by the T&Cs, even if there are workarounds).

* I imagine resorts would be these properties: http://www3.hilton.com/en/resorts/index.html. And it's a beach-heavy/hot-weather-heavy collection
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by cce5858
Sucks for the non-Americans who do not have access to the Aspire card LOL and have to earn Diamond status through actual stays (who actually does this?)
*Raises hand*

In any event, this doesn't really bother me too much as Hilton has been stealthily doing small devaluations the past few months (Properties increasing in category level overnight). I don't look for/need upgrades when travelling alone and when with family, I gravitate towards Homewood because the full size fridge is a necessity.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended

Hell hath no fury like a lifetime diamond scorned, apparently.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by mia
A credit card thread is probably not the best place to find this information. I would look for threads with both words in the Title, such as:

DIAMOND vs. GOLD?
Thanks for the link. I ask here independently in the context of these new cards which will surely drive a slew of new Diamonds to the program (does the incremental value of Diamond status benefits make this card attractive to Golds? Will Golds be disappointed with the product/service they ultimately receive?)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Pure speculation, but they are setting the stage for a higher tier than Diamond (Diamond Plus, etc).

I'm guessing it'll be achieved by pure nights/stays or through spend on the new Aspire Credit Card (60,000 in a year - similar to Marriott).

If this is the case, hopefully Diamond Plus or whatever the new tier is comes with guaranteed suite upgrades, guarantee late check out, waived resort fees, etc.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by dave1013
Will there be opportunity/option for current Surpass cardholders to upgauge to the Aspire card? Or would we have to go through the normal application process?
Based on earlier AMEX upgauge offers, I believe it is reasonable to expect. From this perspective, it may be useful to hold more than 1 Surpass, as the Aspire card is essentially a moneymaker.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmrisko
Well, I guess Diamond just became even more devalued...hopefully the HH lounges don't start becoming super crowded like Centurion airport lounges.
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'm usually not quick to get worked up about these things, but I don't see a scenario here that bodes well for Diamonds who actually earn through staying at properties.

I liked the analogy that someone else used recently - Honors has become the Southwest Rapid Rewards of hotel programs. Not going to be any real perks for loyalty, just a kickback in terms of points.

I guess they're just betting that that those few marginal points per dollar will be worth something to someone, moreso than the value of the devalued perks they'll be losing.
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
The Aspire Card is $450 annual, BUT, you get Diamond Status and $500 in credit so essentially they are paying you to become a Diamond member

Wow - just wow. I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Why bother to stretch to reach Diamond next year? I can stay where I want and still know I'll always be Diamond.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Need
You mean you get paid $50 and a weekend Cert to become a Diamond? I could easily spend the $250 Resort credit and $250 incidental, and the weekend cert is worth at least $200.
Like when Citi rolled out its Prestige Card, there were several bennies to help make a big splash, draw customers away from AMEX and Chase, eventually rolled back. Based on prior AMEX devaluation history, I would expect the same for the new Aspire, my plan is to jump on any up-gauge offers or new application bonuses, take full advantage in the first year.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by IcHot
How many of those people are there who value it like you do?

I would think most of them are already Diamond.

Most people cannot be bothered with complications.
You could be right. I am thinking of how it makes it easier (cheaper) for my "fake" diamond to continue. Before I had to spend $40K now it is just $450 and I get all of them back. I guess I would become "fake fake" diamond LOL.

I guess if you are spending $40K on the Surpass or Citi Reserve to get Diamond, it would make sense to switch to the Aspire.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:25 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Need
I think she just missed it. $95 would make sense as the folks converting from Citi Reserve to Ascend would have the exact same annual fee. That way there is no partial refund or partial charge needed.
Sorry - got cut out during the copy/paste process. You're correct, the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card has a $95 annual fee.

Just updated the original post.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
IMHO, the massive devaluation was in status matching all top tier elites from any other program. This card is simply the cherry on that sundae here. I don't see it creating lots more crowding and competition; these folks are more likely to rack up points via non-Hilton spending.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:43 am

Location: CO Plat (former), US Gold (former), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver (former)
For those of us who already have the Surpass Card do we get
• 10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience
If so, when can we start using this perk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.