Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
From what I'm reading in Lauren's post, the Ascend card has no annual fee and comes with no Foreign Transaction Fees, the Surpass card charges FTE and $75. You should be able to contact AmEx and request they convert your existing Surpass account to a no annual fee Ascend card.
Lauren did not indicate an annual fee of $95 on the Ascend card, but all other communications indicate that there is a $95 annual fee on the Ascend card.

Maybe she can clarify. Thats a big deal
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't kid yourself. Corporate sees the two of equal value and may well see Aspire as having less overhead.

These complaints arise with air carriers too. You aren't a "real" elite. But, you are.

Bottom line is that there are more people with a claim to the same number of upgrades and square footage in a lounge.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by lmwong1977
Hi Lauren,

Thanks for posting. Could you clarify some things on the new Aspire card? Specifically:

• $250 Airline incidental fee statement credit

How does this work on the Amex side? Does it use the same "engine" as the Platinum/Centurion American Express cards? I've read that those cards requires you select an airline before you use your card to get it credited. And you can only change it once a year. Is this how it works with this card? Incidentals means not airline award taxes, upgrade fees?

• $250 Hilton resort statement credit

Is this only for resort hotels - is there a list of which ones are eligible for this credit?

• $100 on-property credit at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts when booking the exclusive Aspire Card package

What is the exclusive Aspire Card package?
While just the messenger, HonorsRepresentative picked a bad day to stop drinking
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Lauren did not indicate an annual fee of $95 on the Ascend card, but all other communications indicate that there is a $95 annual fee on the Ascend card.

Maybe she can clarify. Thats a big deal
I think she just missed it. $95 would make sense as the folks converting from Citi Reserve to Ascend would have the exact same annual fee. That way there is no partial refund or partial charge needed.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Not a full joke... yet... as you still need 10 years of Diamond level AND 1,000 nights. You can pay the $450 to get the years, but still have to stay at the properties to get the nights threshold.

Hopefully they will make existing "Lifetime Diamonds" a new, higher level (or some scheme like others have mentioned)
It is all the same though. If each year a person can simply pay $450 annual fee and then have that offset in credits, there is no need to worry about Lifetime status. You will have it all of the time anyway
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:19 am

Bottom line is that there are more people with a claim to the same number of upgrades and square footage in a lounge.[/QUOTE]

Exactly and the clearly devalues the worth of Diamond Status

It is essentially free now for anyone who can qualify for the card
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Hmmm.. is the first time you could "buy" Diamond status for the lowish price of $450?

Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card

• Complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status

• $450 annual fee
Factor in the $500 in credits and Hilton/Amex are PAYING YOU $50 to become a Diamond member. What a joke
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by woodford02A
Can someone help me understand, in general, what the benefits of Diamond are over Gold? What are folks actually seeing on a day to day basis in practice vs. what Hilton is advertising?

I am US-based but often travel to Europe, Asia and S. America.
Honestly, I'd say the biggest benefit of Diamond over Gold is that you are guaranteed lounge access at most properties, even if you aren't upgraded to an Executive-level room.

You get a 50% points bonus as Diamond versus 25% bonus as a Gold. But you have to spend a ton to have this be worth something substantial. You also have a 48-hour availability guarantee as a Diamond, although there are exceptions and you can still be faced with a very high room rate.

For MyWay benefits at full-service properties, Diamonds don't have to choose between food/amenity or points. They get both, unlike Golds. But at places like Hampton Inn or HGI, Diamond benefits are identical to Gold.

Theoretically, you're prioritized for room/suite upgrades as a Diamond over Gold.

I am told Diamonds often get markedly better treatment outside of the US (I won't be doing my first international stay until later this month).
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Yes, Diamond recognition/service is markedly better abroad, especially in Asia.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:34 am
Suspended

I guess it is fun to overreact.

Diamond status is not worth much as an American customer in the US. Not sure many people will think this is some great deal that can't be passed by.

How many people who are not already Diamond or capable of achieving Diamond anyway will be tempted by a $450 fee? How many will do the math?

Seriously, Diamond probably means more to people that already have it than people that want it.

Do you know how cheaply one could get Diamond if they wanted it? If they aren't staying at hotels, they aren't using up your upgrades. I don't think they give many upgrades anyway, so who wants it?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by BearX220
Me too, and I do NOT want to deal with American Express -- ever again.

I resent being slammed without my consent into an American Express relationship I do not want. I cannot believe Hilton's "extensive consumer and small business research" elicited a bunch of people saying, yes, hijack my account, switch my card provider, and change all the terms without consulting me.
Costco did the same thing in reverse - went from Amex to Citi. I was just as upset as you are right now (I love Amex).
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by IcHot

Diamond status is not worth much as an American customer in the US. Not sure many people will think this is some great deal that can't be passed by.

How many people who are not already Diamond or capable of achieving Diamond anyway will be tempted by a $450 fee? How many will do the math?

Seriously, Diamond probably means more to people that already have it than people that want it.

Do you know how cheaply one could get Diamond if they wanted it? If they aren't staying at hotels, they aren't using up your upgrades. I don't think they give many upgrades anyway, so who wants it?
I kind of did the math. Anyone who has no Hilton status and want to stay a week in a Hilton Resort wants it. Because it will save them over $400 even after paying the $450 annual fee. And that's not including the value of the HH points they will get from the stay as a Diamond and using the Aspire x14 to pay for it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by IcHot

Yes I know exactly how"cheaply one could get Diamond".....EXACTLY...qualify for the card and they will PAY YOU $50
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Need
I kind of did the math. Anyone who has no Hilton status and want to stay a week in a Hilton Resort wants it. Because it will save them over $400 even after paying the $450 annual fee. And that's not including the value of the HH points they will get from the stay as a Diamond and using the Aspire x14 to pay for it.
How many of those people are there who value it like you do?

I would think most of them are already Diamond.

Most people cannot be bothered with complications.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Meh, I think this is the last year for me being even vaguely loyal to Hilton. I've recently been staying at Marriotts and even as a lowly gold, they treat me a lot better than Hilton does as a Diamond. I am head on pillow Diamond - 55 stays, 79 nights, 192k base points.

I'll go for a status match to Marriott Platinum in Dec and see what next year brings.....

Adios Hilton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.