Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
HIlton Amex Aspire card

Am I reading this right, you can now get Diamond Status just by paying the $450 annual fee on this card. My Lifetime Diamond doesn't feel so great
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm hoping with the Ascend that Hyatt and SPG will follow and offer a higher fee credit card with their top status. I would be willing to pay a $450 a year AF for plat status with SPG and it would get them a lot more stays from me with the Delta crossover program.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hilton offers a new tier for people that stay all of nights in their hotels a lot giving them more benefits and priority for upgrades like SPG does for their guests that stay 50 or 75 nights a year. And as someone that used to qualify for diamonds on nights/stays and and spend in the past and is now relying on the credit card spend to maintain diamond (I got tired of the devaluations by Hilton and try to give my stays to Hyatt now but unfortunately Hilton is in some places I go to Hyatt isn't) I totally think that is fair. Hilton should be awarding their guests that spend 60+ nights a year over someone with a credit card.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
For someone that earns Diamond the hard way, this is totally unacceptable....sadly I don't have another better fallback hotel chain to go as the have limited properties or horrible "not worth it" effort to earn Elite which seems HHonors is falling into that category....sadly...
Could not agree more. What a joke. Makes the Lifetime Diamond card worth nothing more than a paper weight. Hilton really messed up here
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I just received an email from Hilton and Am Ex is officialy buying the citi portfolio on 1/18.

I was surprised. I wonder if Am Ex will close the accounts of previous Am Ex deadbeats who have a citi hilton card and defaulted in the past and are on their blacklist. I also wonder how they will treat people like me who have an existing Hilton Am Ex. I have a free Hilton am ex and citi reserve. Are they going to keep the Hilton free card open and give me a Surpass with the same credit line or will they convert the free card to a surpass and not increase the credit line.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by VA1379
The Aspire card devalues lifetime diamond status. I wonder if Hilton will come out with a higher level than diamond.
I have thought about that as well and actually brought it up when Lifetime Diamond was announced. The status is not worth much at this point. There will be so many Diamond members it won't even be funny
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by dave1013
Will there be opportunity/option for current Surpass cardholders to upgauge to the Aspire card? Or would we have to go through the normal application process?
From what I'm reading in Lauren's post, the Ascend card has no annual fee and comes with no Foreign Transaction Fees, the Surpass card charges FTE and $75. You should be able to contact AmEx and request they convert your existing Surpass account to a no annual fee Ascend card.

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Nov 1, 2017 at 9:59 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:04 am

Huge devaluation of Diamond status

Is Hilton going to be coming out with a higher level than Diamond?

This new Hilton Aspire Card devalues Diamond status a great deal. After you get the credits on the card they are essentially paying you to be a Diamond member.

Not sure what Hilton was thinking here unless they have plans for an even higher status

Lifetime Diamond feels like a joke at this point
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by VA1379
The current Citi cardholders will not be converted to Amex cards. Citibank will convert those cards to other Citi credit cards since they have not sold those accounts to American Express.
That is not true.

Originally Posted by loomis
I think that my best bet is to cancel my HH Visa before January 31, so that I don't get auto-enrolled in any HH AMEX, knowing that I may need to "buy" my status some time down the road, getting a sign-up bonus along the way.
If you don't mind giving up a credit facility and the associated possible FICO hit, makes sense. I expect I will do the same, as I don't really want to trade a Visa product for an Amex product and I feel slammed in this situation.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I wonder if Am Ex will close the accounts of previous Am Ex deadbeats who have a citi hilton card and defaulted in the past and are on their blacklist. I also wonder how they will treat people like me who have an existing Hilton Am Ex.
Amex logic / reason is pretty black-boxy. You never know what they're going to do to you unilaterally. My trust level is very low.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Yup. I've been waiting for a card like this. Now I suppose having this for 10 years will get me my 10 years required for Lifetime Diamond. After that, just need to hit 1000 nights
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Yup. I've been waiting for a card like this. Now I suppose having this for 10 years will get me my 10 years required for Lifetime Diamond. After that, just need to hit 1000 nights
Who cares about Lifetime Diamond now? Pay the $450 annual fee and get the $500 in credits and they are paying you to be a Diamond!!! What value is there in Lifetime now
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
From what I'm reading in Lauren's post, the Aspire card has no annual fee and comes with no Foreign Transaction Fees, the Surpass card charges FTE and $75. You should be able to contact AmEx and request they convert your existing Surpass account to a no annual fee Aspire card.
The Aspire Card is $450 annual, BUT, you get Diamond Status and $500 in credit so essentially they are paying you to become a Diamond member
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Hilton continues to devalue Diamond status, allows individual properties to water them down further, so this is just another step in the downward spiral.

From a customer service perspective, having a dedicated Diamond phone line is nice, but the more competent, service-oriented agents are slowly going away, management has removed some of their authority.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Believe me hotels can see if you are a cc diamond or a head in bed diamond member.

Chatted about this with several hotel staff and they confirmed they look at stay history and spendings to assign the best upgrades.

The most negative part is that the executive lounges are going to become even more crowded...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Can someone help me understand, in general, what the benefits of Diamond are over Gold? What are folks actually seeing on a day to day basis in practice vs. what Hilton is advertising?

I am US-based but often travel to Europe, Asia and S. America.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by diver858
Hilton continues to devalue Diamond status, allows individual properties to water them down further, so this is just another step in the downward spiral.

From a customer service perspective, having a dedicated Diamond phone line is nice, but the more competent, service-oriented agents are slowly going away, management has removed some of their authority.
I am literally just sitting here trying to figure out what the heck they are thinking.

There almost has to be a higher status than Diamond coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.