Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'm usually not quick to get worked up about these things, but I don't see a scenario here that bodes well for Diamonds who actually earn through staying at properties.

I liked the analogy that someone else used recently - Honors has become the Southwest Rapid Rewards of hotel programs. Not going to be any real perks for loyalty, just a kickback in terms of points.

I guess they're just betting that that those few marginal points per dollar will be worth something to someone, moreso than the value of the devalued perks they'll be losing.
Yup...my wife has been hitting Diamond through stays alone for the past few years and we have a glut of points built up. I think once we burn them on a nice vacation it may be worth time to think of a shift in where she stays while on the road. She has already mentioned to me that upgrades seem to be less common and Exec lounges are feeling a bit more crowded.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I currently have the Citi Hilton Reserve, anniversary date 8/1 and I have already earned a free night with over $10K spending since my anniversary date. If I spend $15K on my new Amex card between 2/1 and 8/1 will I earn another free night?

If the answer is no the first free night certificate I would receive from Amex would be in August 2020 (since I would earn it by spending $15K between 8/18 and 8/19) and by then I would have paid Amex $285 in annual fees.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I have had the Hilton card through Citi since 2001, and the Reserve Card from Citi for 3 or 4 years. Now, this card is going to switch to the Ascend Card. While I am pleased there is no Foreign Transaction Fee, there is a reduction in benefits. Under the Reserve Card, there was a free weekend certificate for $10,000 spend. Under the Ascend Card, the spend is $15,000 for the same benefit. This represents a significant deterioration of benefit due to Hilton moving their business from Citi to exclusively Amex.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I have had the Hilton card through Citi since 2001, and the Reserve Card from Citi for 3 or 4 years. Now, this card is going to switch to the Ascend Card. While I am pleased there is no Foreign Transaction Fee, there is a reduction in benefits. Under the Reserve Card, there was a free weekend certificate for $10,000 spend. Under the Ascend Card, the spend is $15,000 for the same benefit. This represents a significant deterioration of benefit due to Hilton moving their business from Citi to exclusively Amex.
Agreed. The higher spend threshold definitely changes the math as to which card I use for my regular spend. I'll keep the card for Gold status and category spend, but that's about it.

Also, would have liked to see free Boingo like on the SPG card.

Last edited by MASTERNC; Nov 1, 2017 at 6:57 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TTT103
So in January I'll end up with three Ascend cards. .
Not necessarily. American Express is not buying all of the account from Citi:

American Express and Citi are evaluating which Citi Hilton Honors Card accounts are eligible to automatically transfer to American Express on January 30, 2018
...the evaluation will certainly include creditworthiness, but they may also exclude card accounts that would result in duplicates. American Express might also decline to purchase accounts that would put an individual over the five credit card limit. If a specific card account is not transferred I would expect Citi to convert it to a ThankYou or cashback product.

Originally Posted by cce5858
1. Will these new products including the Ascend and Hilton Honors be considered "New Products" as sign up bonuses go?

2. Will Citi Hilton cardholders be able to keep their Citi accounts?

3. If Citi cardholders will be converted, will the best course of action be to cancel existing cards so that they do not miss out on the sign up bonus?

4. Existing Amex Surpass and Honors cardholders, would the best course of action be to cancel these cards to be able to get the new sign up bonuses (Brings back to question 1) ?
1. In recent years American Express has not treated refreshed cards as new products for application bonus purposes. The Business Card and Aspire are certainly new. Ascend could go either way, because of the name change. The free card is not new.

2. Most Citi Honors card accounts will be sold to American Express.

3 & 4. The best course will depend on your specific circumstances and objectives. Bear in mind that American Express (USA) limits most individuals to a maximum of four or five credit cards, plus charge cards. All of the Delta, Hilton, and Starwood products (personal and business) are credit cards.

Last edited by mia; Nov 1, 2017 at 7:03 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Yup...my wife has been hitting Diamond through stays alone for the past few years and we have a glut of points built up. I think once we burn them on a nice vacation it may be worth time to think of a shift in where she stays while on the road. She has already mentioned to me that upgrades seem to be less common and Exec lounges are feeling a bit more crowded.
Yeah, I've recently gone over to SPG/Marriott after years as a Hilton purist and have been extremely impressed by the level and delivery of the non-points benefits.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
I have given up on Hilton and switched most of my stays to SPG, at least they try to give you a upgrade + free breaky at most places I go anyway. I never got upgraded in the US as a diamond.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Finally, a business card!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Hmmm.. is the first time you could "buy" Diamond status for the lowish price of $450?

Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card

• Complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status

• $450 annual fee
You mean you get paid $50 and a weekend Cert to become a Diamond? I could easily spend the $250 Resort credit and $250 incidental, and the weekend cert is worth at least $200. I would probably have kept the conversion to the Ascent card from my Citi Reserve, but now I am going to cancel the Reserve card and apply for the Aspire card.

Last edited by Need; Nov 1, 2017 at 7:40 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Does the unlimited Priority Pass include any guests?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
...the evaluation will certainly include creditworthiness,
Someone posted a link with FAQ's about the conversion and in it there was literature about AMEX not checking the cardholder's credit.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cce5858
Sucks for the non-Americans who do not have access to the Aspire card LOL and have to earn Diamond status through actual stays (who actually does this?)
But non-US countries generally have fewer diamond and better lounges. There is always some tradeoff.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Well for me this is great as I wouldn't normally earn Diamond but do stay enough to justify getting a card and enjoying the benefits.

If I were Diamond I'd be pretty hacked off though. Given the annual fee and other benefits it really didn't need to include perpetual Diamond, even just the one year gratis would have been enough, or perhaps after spending a much lesser amount than on the Surpass card ($20k).

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Could someone clarify. The $250 airline incidental fee credit - can this be used to pay an airline ticket, or just a baggage fee or a snack on the plane?
Originally Posted by lmwong1977
Isn't the "incidental airline" thing not easy to use on the Amex end? I think I read on one of the blogs it runs on the same "rails" as heir other cards.
It depends on the airline.

I have no problems buying $100 AA gift cards on my Platinum Card and using those towards tickets. On the AMEX forum there is a thread for each of the participating airlines with the data points for each.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:59 am

I wonder if the Aspire card would be metal like the other Amex $450+ cards?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
...AMEX not checking the cardholder's credit.
There will be no hard pull, but that doesn't mean that American Express will not use information that it already holds about existing American Express cardholders who happen to hold Hilton co-branded cards issued by Citi, nor that American Express will buy delinquent accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.