Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The current Citi cardholders will not be converted to Amex cards. Citibank will convert those cards to other Citi credit cards since they have not sold those accounts to American Express. When Amex lost their Costco account, they sold the accounts associated with the Amex Costco card to Citibank, which is why Costco credit card holders were converted to a Citibank card from an Amex card. I’m assuming the airline credit is just like it is for the other Amex cards where people have used them for fees, upgrades and gift cards.

I have no idea how the resort credit will work, but I assume you can use it with the free weekend night for an award stay at a resort. Since Hilton resorts don’t always provide a free breakfast for diamond members, I’m sure some of the credit could be used to cover the cost of food, parking and other expenditures.

I’m going to have to consider the Aspire card for a backup status after I lose my top status with Hyatt next year. I’m currently silver with Hilton after losing diamond in April 2017, but I got a fast track offer of two stays to get gold for 2018.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Disgrace by Hilton Honors. Handing out free Diamond status to US customers, while all others have to earn it hard way... now HH Diamond is officially worthless.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by VA1379
The current Citi cardholders will not be converted to Amex cards. Citibank will convert those cards to other Citi credit cards since they have not sold those accounts to American Express.
They announced at the same time as these new cards the opposite of what you're saying. Citi Hilton cards will become Amex cards.

from DoC:
No fee -> No fee
Reserve -> Ascend

There's a FAQ site up for it: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by mirror74
Disgrace by Hilton Honors. Handing out free Diamond status to US customers, while all others have to earn it hard way... now HH Diamond is officially worthless.
Agree, Hilton need a long hard look at themselves. Whats the point of loyalty if you give it away
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gav0106

Agree, Hilton need a long hard look at themselves. Whats the point of loyalty if you give it away
Well technically, they are paying $450 a year for the Diamond status. So its not given away. $450 is a lot of hard earned money and work LOL.

Really excited about this card, could cancel Centurion for this and get the Japan Amex Delta for Delta Medallion status.

Hilton Diamond has been great to me this year, of the roughly 15 or so stays (between 3-5 nights each) booked in the absolute cheapest room, 11 of them were upgraded to a suite. Even excluded properties like Waldorf Astoria Dubai, Conrad Tokyo, Conrad HK, Conrad Bora Bora (Overwater Bungalow upgrade of 3 categories) all gained suite upgrade automatically usually shortly after booking. Hopefully that doesn't change with the influx of new members.

Last edited by cce5858; Nov 1, 2017 at 3:45 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by cce5858
Well technically, they are paying $450 a year for the Diamond status. So its not given away. $450 is a lot of hard earned money and work LOL.

Really excited about this card, could cancel Centurion for this and get the Japan Amex Delta for Delta Medallion status.

Hilton Diamond has been great to me this year, of the roughly 15 or so stays (between 3-5 nights each) booked in the absolute cheapest room, 11 of them were upgraded to a suite. Even excluded properties like Waldorf Astoria Dubai, Conrad Tokyo, Conrad HK, Conrad Bora Bora (Overwater Bungalow upgrade of 3 categories) all gained suite upgrade automatically usually shortly after booking. Hopefully that doesn't change with the influx of new members.
Yeah, I guess will depend how many people take up the offer It is worth noting, from my work previous, the Hotels do know who is actually a Diamond from staying V one who has a credit card with status. It might pan out, priority is given to those who stay v those who have a status from elsewhere
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gav0106
Yeah, I guess will depend how many people take up the offer It is worth noting, from my work previous, the Hotels do know who is actually a Diamond from staying V one who has a credit card with status. It might pan out, priority is given to those who stay v those who have a status from elsewhere
Really? Based on my experience they only see a designation code for the status, and info like my address, birthday, etc. They don't know how many points I have, or when my status expires, or my previous stays. That being said, I also have my Diamond status through AMEX, I think my actual stays would only qualify me for Silver or Gold. But DEFINITELY enjoying the many "unpublished" suite upgrades of Diamond for sure.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by cce5858
Really? Based on my experience they only see a designation code for the status, and info like my address, birthday, etc. They don't know how many points I have, or when my status expires, or my previous stays.
I'm pretty sure front desks can see your previous stays (particularly your previous stays with them), but they don't often bother in many US properties. It is a minor annoyance when a hotel where you've stayed 10 times asks you whether it is your first visit.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:46 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hilton and American Express Offer Four New Hilton Honors Co-Branded Credit Cards

Hi all,

Excited to share the details of the upgraded Hilton Honors American Express co-branded credit card portfolio, featuring four new cards: the no-annual-fee Hilton Honors American Express Card, the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card, the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card and the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card. The benefits and services for each of the four new Cards were designed based on extensive consumer and small business research.

More details on the benefits of each card are included below. You can also visit here to sign up for updates about the new Hilton Honors American Express Cards launching January 2018.

Hilton Honors American Express Card
• 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
• 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. grocery stores, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
• 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on all other eligible purchases
• Complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status; Earn Gold status after spending $20,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
• No foreign transaction fees
• No annual fee
Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
• 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
• 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. grocery stores, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
• Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status; Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
• One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
• 10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience
• $95 annual fee
Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
• 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
• 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on U.S. gas stations, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service producers and U.S. purchases for shipping
• 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on U.S. restaurants, flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, and car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies
• Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status; Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
• One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15, 000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
• A second Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $60,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
• 10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience and get work done more easily and comfortably while waiting for a flight
• $95 annual fee
Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
• 14X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
• 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies and at U.S. restaurants
• 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on other purchases
• Complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status
• One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio with your new Card and each year of Card Membership
• A second Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $60,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
• Unlimited Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience
• $250 Airline incidental fee statement credit
• $250 Hilton resort statement credit
• $100 on-property credit at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts when booking the exclusive Aspire Card package
• Access to 24/7 American Express concierge
• $450 annual fee
For those with Citi cards - on January 30, 2018, all open and eligible no-fee Citi Hilton Honors Cards will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Card. All open and eligible Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Cards will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Until then, cardmembers should continue to make purchases on their Citi Hilton Honors Card. Please click here for more information.

Feel free to send over any other questions you might have.

Thanks!
Lauren

Last edited by Hilton Honors Ambassador; Nov 1, 2017 at 11:22 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Hmmm.. is the first time you could "buy" Diamond status for the lowish price of $450?

Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card

• Complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status

• $450 annual fee
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
Not happy that my diamond status with 111 nights this year can just be gotten with a credit card next year, but honestly I've pretty much stopped staying at hiltons in the US. While I've been treated *very* well overseas as a diamond, even at full Hilton's here it's completely hit or miss that they even acknowledge status.

That said, I'll get the card next year. I had planned on doing 30 stays next year anyway to get diamond with the least amount of time spent on property. SPG has treated me FAR better, and for where I've been staying I like it better.

Of course this week I'm staying at a soulless Courtyard, which just reinforces that for me that Marriott is bottom of my list. I hope SPG continues in some form or fashion, or that since Hyatt is evidently hiring all former SPG people that they become what SPG is now. I'll keep pushing for the 10 years of diamond to get lifetime, but I'm not a fan of this move by them.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by bcosinteno

The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card ($450 annual fee)

14X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies and at U.S. restaurants
3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on other purchases
14x is great at Hilton properties. I have to wonder what AMEX was thinking when they decided to exclude grocery and gas station purchases from their 7x category? Those are major purchase categories for most people. I guess you could combine this card with the no AF Hilton Honors card, but I'd rather just have one card instead of two.

They should've raised the categories to 14x/10x/5x with two free nights a year without a spending requirement, plus the $250 credits and I would've been on board with this card...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:07 am

Well, I guess Diamond just became even more devalued...hopefully the HH lounges don't start becoming super crowded like Centurion airport lounges.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:26 am

So in January I'll end up with three Ascend cards. Yikes! I wonder if I'll also receive three anniversary free weekend night certificates after the year is up.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:31 am

I'm usually not quick to get worked up about these things, but I don't see a scenario here that bodes well for Diamonds who actually earn through staying at properties.

I liked the analogy that someone else used recently - Honors has become the Southwest Rapid Rewards of hotel programs. Not going to be any real perks for loyalty, just a kickback in terms of points.

I guess they're just betting that that those few marginal points per dollar will be worth something to someone, moreso than the value of the devalued perks they'll be losing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.