Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jbeckett
Wiki Link
The resort benefit on the Aspire card only works at the ~200 hotels on the list at this link:
http://www3.hilton.com/en/resorts/index.html#
For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

For the Aspire card, the Annual Weekend Night Reward will be issued in the form of a redeemable code and sent in an email from Hilton Honors to the email address listed on your Hilton Honors account. You will receive the reward email within 8-14 weeks after opening your Card Account and each year within 8-14 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date. E-mail for Hilton providing the free night certificate has been received by several people..

HonorsRepresentative (Lauren) has provided answers in the following posts to some of the questions that have been raised in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29118905-post491.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29082769-post468.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29068815-post452.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29068259-post449.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29064439-post446.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29037200-post430.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29032382-post420.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29027525-post401.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29014945-post312.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29009198-post227.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29005693-post161.html
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 28, 18, 10:30 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP 75k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh View Post
So now that a number of people have received the Aspire card, are there any datapoints on how the Airline Incidetal credit works? As many already know, with the Amex Platinum card people have been able to get $50 (and sometimes even $100) gift card purchases to trigger the credit. For example, I just puchased 2 x $100 American Airlines Gift Cards earlier in January and withing 72 hours the charge posted to my Amex account and then Amex automatically issued a credit against each charge with in 1-2 business days.

So do we have any confirmation this works with the credit on the Aspire?
Also looking for insight on how the travel credit works with the Aspire
Old Jan 28, 18, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ View Post
Also looking for insight on how the travel credit works with the Aspire
I ended up selecting WN as my airline and purchased and online Southwest GC for $200 and it was credited to my account a few days later. I decided against doing the whole $250 in one transaction only because no one had reported doing any amount over $200 and I did not want to be the guinea pig for that one lol.
Old Jan 28, 18, 10:39 am

My aspire card came in the mail yesterday (Saturday). I have to admit I was a little disappointed to see it was not a metal card. Not sure what I was expecting but it was a little underwhelming. The box it came in was pretty fancy though lol!
ckiggins likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PLT; HH DM; SPG Gold; National Exec
went for AA for the travel credits carrier and bought 2x $200 and 1x$50 Jan 25th. Hasn't posted as of Jan 28th. Will update when credit posts (or not)
Old Jan 28, 18, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post

mine renews end of July. I think the opportunity cost, when charging $15k to the Surpass instead of other cards, likely makes this a bad deal for me. Have to do some back of envelope math...
Ditto on the spend calculus. It was much easier with the $10k threshold on the Citi card. Now with 2.5% back on one of my credit cards, the opportunity cost (i.e. breakeven hotel rate) is less favorable.
Old Jan 28, 18, 11:13 am

mine renews end of July. I think the opportunity cost, when charging $15k to the Surpass instead of other cards, likely makes this a bad deal for me. Have to do some back of envelope math...
Ditto on the spend calculus. It was much easier with the $10k threshold on the Citi card. Now with 2.5% back on one of my credit cards, the opportunity cost (i.e. breakeven hotel rate) is less favorable.
Old Jan 28, 18, 11:52 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Surpass card holders have not received new Ascend cards yet

Wife and I both have separate Surpass accounts, which online / paper statements now show as Ascend, but we have yet to receive new cards, was under the impression that would have already taken place.

Anyone else? Reason to be concerned?
Old Jan 28, 18, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
Wife and I both have separate Surpass accounts, which online / paper statements now show as Ascend, but we have yet to receive new cards, was under the impression that would have already taken place.

Anyone else? Reason to be concerned?
i haven’t received mine either. Think that is what everyone’s seeing. I suspect they are not rushing to replace functional cards.
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
We have received 4/5 cards to replace our 5 Citi Hilton cards, but have not received either of our replacements for AMEX cards. I think their priority was to get the Citi ones out first, but not so early that people would start trying to use the wrong one.
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

i haven’t received mine either. Think that is what everyone’s seeing. I suspect they are not rushing to replace functional cards.
Thank you for the confirmation. My card is used for business stays, already received my new Honors Biz Card, so the Surpass will collect dust, waiting for an Aspire upgrade offer. Wife's card is primarily for leisure stays.
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
Thank you for the confirmation. My card is used for business stays, already received my new Honors Biz Card, so the Surpass will collect dust, waiting for an Aspire upgrade offer. Wife's card is primarily for leisure stays.
I'm very confused why many of you are waiting for an Aspire upgrade offer. Why not just apply as a new card and get the 100,000 pt bonus? Do you think an upgrade offer down the line will be more than 100,000 pts?
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Per the other FT-er just call Amex. When I applied the Amex site required me to create another online account. A quick call to Amex deleted the new account and added it to my old one. I also had to have the Amex rep fix the associated HH# on it.

Yep they cancelled the first card but the replacement card came a day later.

So does that mean the original card is no good and you still have to wait? Well, good news I supposed. I got the email on Thursday and just need it by Wed next week. Already have a stay at a Hilton resort and would love the credit in my first week.

Good to hear. So for those that had the Ascend via Surpass and also signed up for the Aspire, are folks hitting the 15K on the Ascend before cancelling it for the FN?
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I'm very confused why many of you are waiting for an Aspire upgrade offer. Why not just apply as a new card and get the 100,000 pt bonus? Do you think an upgrade offer down the line will be more than 100,000 pts?
I don't think there will be myself but I'm not applying yet for an Aspire. The fine print says if you change your card type you lose the citi free night and I have my $10K spend already in on my card (I am still debating ondoing the $15K or not for the other free night since I need to get some serous spend in on my delta am ex cards due to them really chaning the rules for Delta diamonds). I don't have any resort stays planned and am diamond for this year so not like the benefits will help me out. Once the free night from citi posts this summer I'll just apply for a new aspire card (unless there is some nice upgrade bonus) and cancel the ascend.

I can see why people would rather have the card upgraded than apply for a new card. In my case I already have a few Am Ex cards and don't want to risk getting declined or having it trigger a FR with Am Ex since I depend on my Am Ex cards to keep my status with Delta. For some people who are heavy credit card churners they also have to deal with the 5/24 rule with chase and having another hard pull on their credit (IME Am Ex never does a hard pull when upgrading or downgrading the same card number but will when applying for a new account)
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP 75k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Just to add a datapoint about upgrading vs applying for a new card. I was given the opportunity to upgrade my Ascend card on the website, but chose the apply for a new Aspire for the 100,000 points. Was approved instantly and have not seen any signs of a hard pull either.
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
I thought I was going to apply (new) when I first heard about the Aspire card, but I realized a couple of things...We are Diamond with Hilton until 3/2019, plus we are Gold with our Airline of choice until 2019, so those 2 benefits are irrelevant. (no change/cancel fees on our airline).

Plus, I came to the realization that if everything is a wash (you pay $450 and get that much in benefits) you are not gaining anything. I will easily hit $15,000 with the Ascend (formerly Surpass) so I'll get a free night (and there is NO WAY I'd hit $60,000). If our ONE resort stay gets cancelled, I will lose the resort benefit, and if we don't book a W-A (at a questionable advantage) no benefit there, either.

Maybe next year when we're no longer Diamond with Hilton, and no longer have Gold no-fee with our airline, the Aspire will make sense.

I might regret not capitalizing on the 100,000 bonus points now, but if everyone thinks a better offer will be in the future, what would be great...

Search this Thread