Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jbeckett
Wiki Link
The resort benefit on the Aspire card only works at the ~200 hotels on the list at this link:
http://www3.hilton.com/en/resorts/index.html#
For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

For the Aspire card, the Annual Weekend Night Reward will be issued in the form of a redeemable code and sent in an email from Hilton Honors to the email address listed on your Hilton Honors account. You will receive the reward email within 8-14 weeks after opening your Card Account and each year within 8-14 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date. E-mail for Hilton providing the free night certificate has been received by several people..

HonorsRepresentative (Lauren) has provided answers in the following posts to some of the questions that have been raised in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29118905-post491.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29082769-post468.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29068815-post452.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29068259-post449.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29064439-post446.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29037200-post430.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29032382-post420.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29027525-post401.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29014945-post312.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29009198-post227.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29005693-post161.html
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 31, 19, 8:59 pm
  #1696  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 44
Got this email today, while that is a ton of points, I don't like that the Aspire doesn't give 6x points on gas or Groceries which I primarily use it on. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve for dining and travel.


howie411 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 19, 9:32 pm
  #1697  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,704
Originally Posted by howie411 View Post
Got this email today, while that is a ton of points, I don't like that the Aspire doesn't give 6x points on gas or Groceries which I primarily use it on. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve for dining and travel.
Don't overvalue that so-called "6x". It's really only 2x of the normal earning rate (which is 3 points per dollar on everything). If you're not treating the card as a 3x on everything card (which doesn't make sense, since the reason it's 3x is because one Hilton point has such little value, compared to, say, an airline mile), then why should you be treating it as 6x instead of 2x on gas and groceries?

And it's easy to find cards that give true 3x on gas and even 4x on groceries (cards which earn 1 transferable-1:1-to-airlines point per dollar "everywhere").

So I would never consider a Hilton card giving 6 points per dollar to be higher value than a card that gives 3x of something convertible 1:1 to miles on gas or 2.2x, 3.5x, or 4x of something convertible 1:1 to miles on groceries. And since I have cards in the latter two categories (Citi TYP Premier for 3x on gas, Amex Gold for 4x on groceries, when Chase Freedom doesn't have a quarter like is starting tomorrow with 5x on groceries), I never bothered with the 2x of normal earnings on those categories when I had the lower Hilton card.
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 5:45 am
  #1698  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR)
Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Posts: 1,127
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Don't overvalue that so-called "6x". It's really only 2x of the normal earning rate (which is 3 points per dollar on everything). If you're not treating the card as a 3x on everything card (which doesn't make sense, since the reason it's 3x is because one Hilton point has such little value, compared to, say, an airline mile), then why should you be treating it as 6x instead of 2x on gas and groceries?

And it's easy to find cards that give true 3x on gas and even 4x on groceries (cards which earn 1 transferable-1:1-to-airlines point per dollar "everywhere").

So I would never consider a Hilton card giving 6 points per dollar to be higher value than a card that gives 3x of something convertible 1:1 to miles on gas or 2.2x, 3.5x, or 4x of something convertible 1:1 to miles on groceries. And since I have cards in the latter two categories (Citi TYP Premier for 3x on gas, Amex Gold for 4x on groceries, when Chase Freedom doesn't have a quarter like is starting tomorrow with 5x on groceries), I never bothered with the 2x of normal earnings on those categories when I had the lower Hilton card.
I somewhat disagree - the Ascend was the best card for earning Hilton points with grocery and dining spend (two big categories), especially as 15,000 in spending in these categories (along with any Hilton spending) also got you a free weekend night. Many people maximized this while also spending on other cards with transferable points. The issue now is that the Amex Gold earns 8x Hilton points on grocery and dining, beating both the Aspire and Ascend, making those cards less relevant for those categories...
Adelphos is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 6:26 am
  #1699  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Don't overvalue that so-called "6x". It's really only 2x of the normal earning rate (which is 3 points per dollar on everything). If you're not treating the card as a 3x on everything card (which doesn't make sense, since the reason it's 3x is because one Hilton point has such little value, compared to, say, an airline mile), then why should you be treating it as 6x instead of 2x on gas and groceries?

And it's easy to find cards that give true 3x on gas and even 4x on groceries (cards which earn 1 transferable-1:1-to-airlines point per dollar "everywhere").
So I would never consider a Hilton card giving 6 points per dollar to be higher value than a card that gives 3x of something convertible 1:1 to miles on gas or 2.2x, 3.5x, or 4x of something convertible 1:1 to miles on groceries. And since I have cards in the latter two categories (Citi TYP Premier for 3x on gas, Amex Gold for 4x on groceries, when Chase Freedom doesn't have a quarter like is starting tomorrow with 5x on groceries), I never bothered with the 2x of normal earnings on those categories when I had the lower Hilton card.
The way I have it broken down now is:

Hilton Ascend - 6X Gas 6X Groceries, 12x Hilton Stays
Chase Sapphire Reserve - 3X Dining, Travel (except Hilton Stays)
Chase Freedom Unlimited - 1.5x on everything not above

So in my case, I don't see the Aspire worth it even for 150k points because I'm losing the bonus on gas and groceries, I rarely stay at hotels and then it would also make my Reserve a waste. Now if the Aspire included Groceries/Gas that may be different.
howie411 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 10:28 am
  #1700  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DEN/SFO/PVG
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 17,094
So the Aspire card earns 7 HH pts for "flights" booked with airlines. What about payments for club membership (United Club, DL Sky Club, AA Admirals Club)?
mnredfox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 10:40 am
  #1701  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,965
Originally Posted by howie411 View Post
The way I have it broken down now is:

Hilton Ascend - 6X Gas 6X Groceries, 12x Hilton Stays
Chase Sapphire Reserve - 3X Dining, Travel (except Hilton Stays)
Chase Freedom Unlimited - 1.5x on everything not above

So in my case, I don't see the Aspire worth it even for 150k points because I'm losing the bonus on gas and groceries, I rarely stay at hotels and then it would also make my Reserve a waste. Now if the Aspire included Groceries/Gas that may be different.
Why would someone want a hotel branded credit card if they rarely stay at hotels? What is the point of any Hilton card for you? (besides the 6x on g&g with the Ascend you can get 5x with the no-fee).
Eujeanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 12:14 pm
  #1702  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
Why would someone want a hotel branded credit card if they rarely stay at hotels? What is the point of any Hilton card for you? (besides the 6x on g&g with the Ascend you can get 5x with the no-fee).
Good question, I stay at hotels more then Fly even though its not often, So for the $90 I pay for the Ascend, and the free hotel night plus the gold and diamond status, it easily paid for itself 3x over for me.
howie411 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 12:22 pm
  #1703  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,965
Originally Posted by howie411 View Post
Good question, I stay at hotels more then Fly even though its not often, So for the $90 I pay for the Ascend, and the free hotel night plus the gold and diamond status, it easily paid for itself 3x over for me.
Understood. I was going to cancel my Ascend once I got the Aspire, but I do put $15,000 on the Ascend so get the free night (which more than covers the annual fee - I'd never put 60K on the Aspire to get the second free one), plus the g&g points. But we do stay mostly at Hiltons so I like the Aspire for that, and that $450 annual fee goes away very quickly, too.
Eujeanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 19, 8:46 pm
  #1704  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,719
I cancelled my Aspire card at the end of my first year because it didn't seem worth paying the $450 out-of-pocket. Will I immediately lose my Diamond status?
iahphx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 19, 8:59 pm
  #1705  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: HH Diamond
Posts: 2,293
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I cancelled my Aspire card at the end of my first year because it didn't seem worth paying the $450 out-of-pocket. Will I immediately lose my Diamond status?
Yes. From the terms and conditions =-
You will receive complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card. Complimentary Diamond status benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member. If your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card is cancelled for any reason, your complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status provided with the Card will be cancelled.
jbeckett is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 19, 10:27 am
  #1706  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,719
Originally Posted by jbeckett View Post
Yes. From the terms and conditions =-
You will receive complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card. Complimentary Diamond status benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member. If your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card is cancelled for any reason, your complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status provided with the Card will be cancelled.
Thanks. We'll see how long it takes. Twenty-four hours later, I'm still Diamond.

I did go to AMEX's website to sign up for Honors Gold on my AMEX Platinum yesterday. Hopefully, if they take away my Diamond status, it will now default to Gold.
iahphx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 19, 12:46 pm
  #1707  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 61,613
I downgraded from Ascend to the no-fee Hilton Amex in February and I am still gold.
beltway likes this.
Dovster is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 19, 12:45 pm
  #1708  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,719
Just as a heads up, doctorofcredit has the lowdown on getting a Honors biz card with 125,000 points and a $100 statement credit (basically paying for the first year's annual fee). The card has a lot of benefits similar to the Ascend card. Not a bad offer at all if you don't qualify for the Ascend bonus or want some additional Honors points. The card also awards a free weekend night at $15,000 in spend if those are useful to you. If you happen to live in a place where supermarkets award gas points, you may have enough supermarket spend to make it worth holding both the Ascend and the biz card.
iahphx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 19, 4:28 am
  #1709  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Just as a heads up, doctorofcredit has the lowdown on getting a Honors biz card with 125,000 points and a $100 statement credit (basically paying for the first year's annual fee). The card has a lot of benefits similar to the Ascend card. Not a bad offer at all if you don't qualify for the Ascend bonus or want some additional Honors points. The card also awards a free weekend night at $15,000 in spend if those are useful to you. If you happen to live in a place where supermarkets award gas points, you may have enough supermarket spend to make it worth holding both the Ascend and the biz card.

I met the spend on the Hilton business card 3 days back and have not received the bonus. Any recent data points on how long its taking?
bobby21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:12 pm
  #1710  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2


If I spend 15k this year on the ascend card to earn the free night, then take upgrade bonus to the aspire card at end of year 1, do I retain my free night from the ascend card and get one from the aspire card?

Any insight is much appreciated.
MHB380 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread