Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jbeckett
Wiki Link
The resort benefit on the Aspire card only works at the ~200 hotels on the list at this link:
http://www3.hilton.com/en/resorts/index.html#
For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

For the Aspire card, the Annual Weekend Night Reward will be issued in the form of a redeemable code and sent in an email from Hilton Honors to the email address listed on your Hilton Honors account. You will receive the reward email within 8-14 weeks after opening your Card Account and each year within 8-14 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date. E-mail for Hilton providing the free night certificate has been received by several people..

HonorsRepresentative (Lauren) has provided answers in the following posts to some of the questions that have been raised in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29118905-post491.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29082769-post468.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29068815-post452.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29068259-post449.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29064439-post446.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29037200-post430.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29032382-post420.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29027525-post401.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29014945-post312.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29009198-post227.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29005693-post161.html
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 19, 19, 4:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Yeah, the statement doesn't show anything in regard to the points, but I'm not worried, because it has been checked thrice
Old Feb 19, 19, 6:33 pm

Programs: Handcuffed to Delta and IHG by Concur
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader View Post
Yeah, the statement doesn't show anything in regard to the points, but I'm not worried, because it has been checked thrice
So THAT explains why Santa never brought me all the toys that I was entitled to -- Santa only checks his list twice.
Old Feb 20, 19, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody knows when upgrade to Ascend, the spend put on the card AFTER upgrade approval, but BEFORE the new card arrives, would count to the $3000 minimum spend or not?

Just got yet another email invitation to upgrade that we have been putting it off, but since we have a few expenses coming up, specifically a car insurance of $650 due on March 15, thinking may be we would bite this time. But if the new card takes its time to arrive we want to know if the spend AFTER upgrade approval would still be counted even using the old card.

Thanks for info.
Old Feb 21, 19, 5:08 am

Can you do the trick with the aspire card to lower your CL to 1500 to avoid the annual fee like with the ritz card or does it not work with amex?
Old Feb 21, 19, 6:28 am

just upgraded to the Ascend card. The 150,000 point bonus is good, upgrade in status to Gold will open up Hilton Garden Inn and Hilton to me, previously I wouldn’t stay there because breakfast wasn’t free, and the Lounge access, 10 per year, will be welcome. However with Hilton points worth less than $0.40 it is hard to see how I will spend much money on the card after the $3000 initial spend. Sapphire preferred is better for travel and dining, particularly when converted to Hyatt points, Venture is better for general spending. Spending $15000 to get a free night isn’t of value to me, that is $300 and I never stay at hotels costing that much. Compare that to $49/$89 for an IHG night, $75 for a Hyatt night, $95 for Marriott and SPG nights.
So this seems to be a card with great first year benefits so no reason not to get it but not quite enough to justify keeping. Why do companies do that?
Old Feb 21, 19, 7:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hornetcoach View Post
just upgraded to the Ascend card. The 150,000 point bonus is good, upgrade in status to Gold will open up Hilton Garden Inn and Hilton to me, previously I wouldn’t stay there because breakfast wasn’t free, and the Lounge access, 10 per year, will be welcome. However with Hilton points worth less than $0.40 it is hard to see how I will spend much money on the card after the $3000 initial spend. Sapphire preferred is better for travel and dining, particularly when converted to Hyatt points, Venture is better for general spending. Spending $15000 to get a free night isn’t of value to me, that is $300 and I never stay at hotels costing that much. Compare that to $49/$89 for an IHG night, $75 for a Hyatt night, $95 for Marriott and SPG nights.
So this seems to be a card with great first year benefits so no reason not to get it but not quite enough to justify keeping. Why do companies do that?
I think that the reason to keep this card is the Gold status (and the airport lounge access, if you don't otherwise have it). If the free breakfast is worth $95 a year to you, then keep it.

Last edited by jbeckett; Feb 21, 19 at 9:59 am
Old Feb 21, 19, 9:22 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Because I value the points more around $.005. Because I value the gold status. Because I will spend over $15,000 and use the certificate somewhere expensive. Because I value 6x's points on groceries and see 6x's points at restaurants as similar to 2x's with CSP. Because, while I am not a heavy traveler, the 10 PP visits per year are nice when I do travel.
Old Feb 21, 19, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the point calculations and totals have disappeared from their Amex statements? Mine did last month and I figured it was a fluke. Now my Feb statement is the same, no totals. Anyone else having this issue? I have the Aspire.

Points are still posting to the account, just no visibility to the totals/calculation.
You can click on the individual transactions online and see how many points you got (although it is kind of a slow process if you want to check many).
Old Feb 21, 19, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
Because I value the points more around $.005. Because I value the gold status. Because I will spend over $15,000 and use the certificate somewhere expensive. Because I value 6x's points on groceries and see 6x's points at restaurants as similar to 2x's with CSP. Because, while I am not a heavy traveler, the 10 PP visits per year are nice when I do travel.
I have the card too, but IMHO you would be better off putting grocery and restaurant spending on the Amex Gold card. Here is my maths:

$1 on HH Ascend at grocery / restaurant = 6HH
$1 on Amex Gold at grocery / restaurant = 4MR, with Schwab cash out = 5c, 5c purchasing points on periodic Hilton buy points with 100% bonus promo = 10HH. Without Schwab you could still convert 4MR to 8HH (without bonus) and as high as 12HH (if targeted for transfer bonus)

Not saying the Ascend isn't worth it, only that MSing HH on it might not be the most productive use of your $ :-)
Old Feb 21, 19, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
I have the card too, but IMHO you would be better off putting grocery and restaurant spending on the Amex Gold card. Here is my maths:

$1 on HH Ascend at grocery / restaurant = 6HH
$1 on Amex Gold at grocery / restaurant = 4MR, with Schwab cash out = 5c, 5c purchasing points on periodic Hilton buy points with 100% bonus promo = 10HH. Without Schwab you could still convert 4MR to 8HH (without bonus) and as high as 12HH (if targeted for transfer bonus)

Not saying the Ascend isn't worth it, only that MSing HH on it might not be the most productive use of your $ :-)
All my spending is organic, no MS. I don't have AmEx Gold and don't really want another card with a $250 AF. I could make the $100 airline credit work (although not thrilled with the gift card game I would probably use), but the dining credit looks worthless to me.
Old Feb 21, 19, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Anybody knows when upgrade to Ascend, the spend put on the card AFTER upgrade approval, but BEFORE the new card arrives, would count to the $3000 minimum spend or not?

Just got yet another email invitation to upgrade that we have been putting it off, but since we have a few expenses coming up, specifically a car insurance of $650 due on March 15, thinking may be we would bite this time. But if the new card takes its time to arrive we want to know if the spend AFTER upgrade approval would still be counted even using the old card.
It takes a day or two after upgrade for charges to start counting toward the upgrade bonus, but you absolutely do not have to wait for the new physical card. I just received my 150K bonus; certainly didn't make the required spend if you count only charges with the new card/CVV.
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
Yes, if I could value Hilton points at $0.005 I would see myself using the card more, but that value seems too high. Most of the places I have looked at come in at about 0.0029-0.0035, so even my estimate of 0.004 looks too high. By contrast yesterday I looked at a Hyatt that had a points value of better than 0.03. It was a $777 hotel in central Paris for 25,000 points. Also in the places I typically stay I can get a Hyatt Place or Hyatt House for as low as 5000 points compared to a Hampton at 25,000 points. Anyway I am very happy with the upgrade and hopefully I will come to see the breakfast and lounge access being worth the $95 fee.
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:05 pm

Yes, if I could value Hilton points at $0.005 I would see myself using the card more, but that value seems too high. Most of the places I have looked at come in at about 0.0029-0.0035, so even my estimate of 0.004 looks too high. By contrast yesterday I looked at a Hyatt that had a points value of better than 0.03. It was a $777 hotel in central Paris for 25,000 points. Also in the places I typically stay I can get a Hyatt Place or Hyatt House for as low as 5000 points compared to a Hampton at 25,000 points. Anyway I am very happy with the upgrade and hopefully I will come to see the breakfast and lounge access being worth the $95 fee.
I was just looking at some of mine today and they ranged from $.0039-$.0057 with most around $.0047. Heck, I am considering a Maui trip that would be over $.01 with fifth night free. I guess it all depends on when and where. I agree Hyatt looks like a good value, I just have trouble finding them where I need to be. Anyway, hope it works out for you and happy travels.
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway View Post
It takes a day or two after upgrade for charges to start counting toward the upgrade bonus, but you absolutely do not have to wait for the new physical card. I just received my 150K bonus; certainly didn't make the required spend if you count only charges with the new card/CVV.
Thank you beltway to confirm that, esp the buffer of the 2 days window.
Old Feb 21, 19, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Thank you beltway to confirm that, esp the buffer of the 2 days window.
You can tell when charges start counting toward the Ascend bonus by looking at the Weekend Night Reward running total. (This resets to $0 on Jan. 1, please note.)

Search this Thread