Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 14, 18, 6:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jbeckett
Wiki Link
The resort benefit on the Aspire card only works at the ~200 hotels on the list at this link:
http://www3.hilton.com/en/resorts/index.html#
For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

For the Aspire card, the Annual Weekend Night Reward will be issued in the form of a redeemable code and sent in an email from Hilton Honors to the email address listed on your Hilton Honors account. You will receive the reward email within 8-14 weeks after opening your Card Account and each year within 8-14 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date. E-mail for Hilton providing the free night certificate has been received by several people..

HonorsRepresentative (Lauren) has provided answers in the following posts to some of the questions that have been raised in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29118905-post491.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29082769-post468.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29068815-post452.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29068259-post449.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29064439-post446.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29037200-post430.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29032382-post420.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29027525-post401.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29014945-post312.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29009198-post227.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29005693-post161.html
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 23, 19, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post

Are the last two bonus categories supposed to be the full 7x and 14x points or just the category bonuses (4x and 11x) on top of the 3x regular spend? I did the math both ways and it doesnít add up either way, but there is also the complicating/confusing statement from Amex chat that the bonus points post a month later.
My experience is with Surpass. The bonus points are 3x and 9x on top of the 3x regular spend, so I would expect you to see 4x and 11x on top of regular spend.

With one exception, the bonus points have always posted on the same monthly statement as the spend. This "post a month later" is just nonsense from a customer point of view, and I have never heard that from Amex as a routine procedure. The one exception was a Hilton property that posted as regular spend, and getting the bonus points was a major ordeal, lasting over three months and taking many phone calls. Good luck.

My opinion is that each charge should have an indicator of its bonus category, so the customer can check that each charge was credited to the correct category. The attitude, not just of Amex but many organizations, seems to be that the computer cannot make a mistake so there is no need for the customer to verify anything. Again, my opinion.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 23, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
My Delta Am Ex statement just closed and I noticed the mile summary is no longer showing on the statement nor is the MQM spend tracker. Hopefully this isn't a permanent change since I want to track the spend for the diamond MQD waiver. Maybe Am Ex is removing the reward summary from all it's reward cards?
Annoying. What's the best way to complain to Amex?
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by serpens View Post
This "post a month later" is just nonsense from a customer point of view, and I have never heard that from Amex as a routine procedure. The one exception was a Hilton property that posted as regular spend, and getting the bonus points was a major ordeal, lasting over three months and taking many phone calls. Good luck.
Right, I just wasted another 10 minutes of my life chasing after those 9000 points from November via chat. This time the excuse was that the merchant (a Hilton Resort) allegedly "submitted these purchases using a mobile or wireless card reader (e.g. Square, Intuit Go Payment)."

And then...

"Had they claimed it by using the merchant number that they have registered with American Express as participating property within the Hilton portfolio merchant code, you would have got the extra points. "

That's nice, but not really my responsibility to fix. The agent agreed to open a case and also look for the missing $250 resort credit. My bet is I will never hear back from them and will have to go over it again with another agent in a few weeks.
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: Handcuffed to Delta and IHG by Concur
Originally Posted by serpens View Post
My opinion is that each charge should have an indicator of its bonus category, so the customer can check that each charge was credited to the correct category. The attitude, not just of Amex but many organizations, seems to be that the computer cannot make a mistake so there is no need for the customer to verify anything. Again, my opinion.
I think Hilton believes just the opposite, that there are so many points of failure for the computers to correctly credit points (such as how the hotels code their charges) that they do not want to make auditing easy for the account holders. Because calls to customer service and then staff time to research and fix the account balances cost Hilton a lot relative to the good will lost by having the calculations be a mysterious black box.
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by amanuensis View Post
I think Hilton believes [...] that there are so many points of failure for the computers to correctly credit points (such as how the hotels code their charges) that they do not want to make auditing easy for the account holders.
You have a good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.
Old Jan 23, 19, 4:23 pm

Sorry if this have been answered before. With the recent changes to AMEX Hilton's welcome bonus, I'm just wondering what is the best strategy to get all 3 Hilton AMEX cards and get all of the welcome bonuses? I know I can still get the entry level Hilton Honors Card with 100k points. I want to get it while it last. Can I get the card now and then product transfer get 150k with the Ascent 3 months down the line?

Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 19, 5:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Sorry if this have been answered before. With the recent changes to AMEX Hilton's welcome bonus, I'm just wondering what is the best strategy to get all 3 Hilton AMEX cards and get all of the welcome bonuses? I know I can still get the entry level Hilton Honors Card with 100k points. I want to get it while it last. Can I get the card now and then product transfer get 150k with the Ascent 3 months down the line?

Thanks!
The best way to get each sign up bonus is to go one at a time. It doesn't matter the order, but if you start with the No Fee (NF) Amex, and meet elthe minimum spend for the bonus. After the NF, apply for the Ascend (do not upgrade, apply) and meet the minimum spend for this card. Then, apply for the Aspire (again, do NOT upgrade) and meet the minimum spend.

If you do this, you will get all three cards, which are each individual products, and get the bonus points after meeting the minimum spend for each card.
Old Jan 23, 19, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by George M View Post
The best way to get each sign up bonus is to go one at a time. It doesn't matter the order, but if you start with the No Fee (NF) Amex, and meet elthe minimum spend for the bonus. After the NF, apply for the Ascend (do not upgrade, apply) and meet the minimum spend for this card. Then, apply for the Aspire (again, do NOT upgrade) and meet the minimum spend.

If you do this, you will get all three cards, which are each individual products, and get the bonus points after meeting the minimum spend for each card.
I thought there was a limit to the number of AMEX credit cards one can have?
Old Jan 24, 19, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
I think the max number of Am Ex credit cards one can have is five (The Am Ex Platinum card is a charge card and I'm told doesn't count towards the five). FWIW I currently have three Am Ex cards (the Aspire and a personal and business Delta card that I have as a Plat and then upgrade to a reserve and then downgrade to a Plat every year to max the MQM's) and at one time I had five card (both personal and business Delta Plats and reserves and the SPG Am Ex).

I'd be concerned about the hit on the FICO score more than anything by opening all those cards at once. There's also chases 5/24 rule to keep in mind if someone tries applying for too many credit cards and then wants a chase card
Old Jan 24, 19, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post

Another month, and other bunch of points posted that donít seem to reconcile with the charges to my Amex statement.

I have three separate postings:

- Amex Aspire Card Pts on Eligible Spend
- Aspire Card Bonus Pts on Airfare Spend
- Aspire Card Bonus Pts on Hilton Spend

Are the last two bonus categories supposed to be the full 7x and 14x points or just the category bonuses (4x and 11x) on top of the 3x regular spend? I did the math both ways and it doesnít add up either way, but there is also the complicating/confusing statement from Amex chat that the bonus points post a month later.

I am also having ongoing issues with getting my full points for my Hiltons stays. I did not check the restaurant totals as I did not want to confuse the CSRs who have no idea what they are talking about. I am told over and over again the proper number of points are credited even though I am reading back the numbers printed on the statements and multiplying the Hilton charge so they can see the differences. Then I was told the missing points would be credited on the next statement. New statement, still no points. New CSR who insisted I was seeing the numbers printed on my statement incorrectly!! Honestly, where do they get these ppl?! I spoke to a manager who started to tell me it take another billing cycle to show up. When I pointed out the second cycle had already closed with no points credited, she told me she will credit the missing points. I'm just wondering if I will have to make another call next month for the same missing points. Once the Hilton points get resolved, I will go after the restaurant points.

BTW, I noticed on the Aspire Jan statement that the points breakdown is no longer there, too. The total overall points is there but no categories breakdown. I wonder if this is because so many ppl are calling to complain about missing points. It makes it harder to figure out where the missing points should be coming from if they are all lumped together.
Old Jan 24, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
I understand that limit to be five (total).
Old Jan 25, 19, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
I am also having ongoing issues with getting my full points for my Hiltons stays. I did not check the restaurant totals as I did not want to confuse the CSRs who have no idea what they are talking about. I am told over and over again the proper number of points are credited even though I am reading back the numbers printed on the statements and multiplying the Hilton charge so they can see the differences. Then I was told the missing points would be credited on the next statement. New statement, still no points. New CSR who insisted I was seeing the numbers printed on my statement incorrectly!! Honestly, where do they get these ppl?! I spoke to a manager who started to tell me it take another billing cycle to show up. When I pointed out the second cycle had already closed with no points credited, she told me she will credit the missing points. I'm just wondering if I will have to make another call next month for the same missing points. Once the Hilton points get resolved, I will go after the restaurant points.

BTW, I noticed on the Aspire Jan statement that the points breakdown is no longer there, too. The total overall points is there but no categories breakdown. I wonder if this is because so many ppl are calling to complain about missing points. It makes it harder to figure out where the missing points should be coming from if they are all lumped together.
The January points were still broken into three individual buckets when posted to my Honors account.

I think going forward i will only use my Aspire for Hilton stays. Keep it simple. Every dollar should be 14x.

Old Jan 26, 19, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Does the $250 resort credit count toward room cost? Or only incidentals?
Old Jan 26, 19, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapooncha View Post
Does the $250 resort credit count toward room cost? Or only incidentals?
It counts toward whatever you want it to count towards.

But if you meant the opposite, ie, do you get the $250 resort credit for room costs, yes, you do, as long as it's directly billed by the hotel (ie, not an advance purchase for a property in the USA) and it's a hotel on the $250 credit resort list (not any other HH resort list). And even, if you read the resort credit thread, you'll see that there are few hotels which are on that list which don't seem to be giving the credit, at least not automatically.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Jan 26, 19, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
It counts toward whatever you want it to count towards.

But if you meant the opposite, ie, do you get the $250 resort credit for room costs, yes, you do, as long as it's directly billed by the hotel (ie, not an advance purchase for a property in the USA) and it's a hotel on the $250 credit resort list (not any other HH resort list).
Does an advance purchase count for a property in Japan? It's, 6000 JPY/night cheaper by doing the advance purchase so obviously I have a strong preference for doing that.

UPDATE: I googled my own question and found a data point on another FT thread. Advanced purchases at Hilton Tokyo Bay do get reimbursed, and rather quickly. So great news there!!

Last edited by kapooncha; Jan 26, 19 at 2:36 pm

Search this Thread