Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Tried to cancel 4th night - total stay price went UP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tried to cancel 4th night - total stay price went UP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I've never had a problem tell the hotel on check in that my requirements have changed and I will be checking out on such-and-such date. As long as I am 48 hours out, I can't see that they have a leg to stand on.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
If the hotel is so full that they can justify 185,000 points per night, they should be jump at the chance to get another room night to sell. But, no, they want to penalize me for making the room available.
Sometimes the hotel's desired outcome is to get you to cancel. Any outrageous price (in money or points) is a way to discourage new bookings without setting the hotel to "sold out" status with the chain. In both (non-Hilton) chains in which I worked as a Revenue Manager, once you invoke "sold out" status, there are financial penalities if you end up not selling out.

Without access to data, it's impossible to know exactly why this hotel is asking for that many points per night. My educated guess is that they are oversold and they are not going to turn around and resell the night you wanted to give back.

Originally Posted by timfountain
I've never had a problem tell the hotel on check in that my requirements have changed and I will be checking out on such-and-such date. As long as I am 48 hours out, I can't see that they have a leg to stand on.
Check the fine print on your Hilton reservations. You should see this text:
"At check in, the front desk will verify your check-out date. Rates quoted are based on check-in date and length of stay. Should you choose to depart early, price is subject to change."
That's a pretty strong leg, to me. Although, I'd bet most Front Desk agents aren't trained to re-price the booking based on current prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.