Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The day I was Blue... or Gold ... or Diamond???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses

Although I signed up for a Gold accelerator a couple of weeks ago I was pretty sure I was still Blue this morning.

Checked into hotel a little earlier then they perhaps expected, and was surprised to get a knock on the door a little later to present me with 750ml bottle of house red plus (2 ) fresh strawberries and chocolate nibbles. Plus a letter reminding me of the Diamond privileges I was entitled to . Upon checking HH a/c it still says I'm Blue, have to stay three more times to get Silver, but zero more times to be Gold .

Went out for the day, and on return thought I'd pop into the promised Exec Lounge . Key card denied ! Upon asking at reception what was happening I was told I was the Blue member the property had chosen to promote to Diamond for the day. Key card updated so enjoyed a stiff G+T, few glasses of white plus polite quantities of pork dish and cheese plates ^^^.

So I think I'm still Blue , but the Gold accelerator is in play .

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Oct 24, 2017 at 2:12 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
I read a posters comment on TA the other day and was unsure what they meant by Diamond for the day when they had been given extra perks for 1 night in a multi night stay. They did get an upgrade for the first night then back to the original for the rest.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozztraveller
I read a posters comment on TA the other day and was unsure what they meant by Diamond for the day when they had been given extra perks for 1 night in a multi night stay. They did get an upgrade for the first night then back to the original for the rest.
I've been offered the perks for my whole stay ... of one night .
DiverDave likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Interesting how "diamond for a day" perks far, far, FAR outweigh the actual perks of being diamond.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Interesting how "diamond for a day" perks far, far, FAR outweigh the actual perks of being diamond.
Isn't that property dependent? The room refreshments offered are about the same as I got at other UK properties when I was Diamond a few years ago (although that was often a half-bottle of wine). Access to the Lounge with it's evening meal, bar and breakfast (very nice hot and cold buffet BTW ) would be there for "proper" Diamonds as well since Lounge access is a level privilege isn't it ?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would be awkward and very inconvenient to be given an upgrade and later told to change rooms. What would happen if someone then refuses to move?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be awkward and very inconvenient to be given an upgrade and later told to change rooms. What would happen if someone then refuses to move?
How would they get into that situation ?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Interesting story, thanks for sharing it. ^ Glad to hear you had a good experience and hope that this whets the appetite to remain with the Hilton chain program.

I imagine this is a common 'baiting' tactic for loyalty programs to try and get people to aspire to higher levels than they currently have with that program. Offer an upgrade, or allow the person to sample the benefits and then withdraw them so that the person then either says 'not for me' and enjoys the one off experience or they do indeed try to obtain the benefits through the program.

Certainly better than matching anyone over a prolonged duration as has been done in the past (and is still active IIRC).

To the OP...did the 'bait' work? (will you be working to get Diamond now or will you stay at Gold?)

Safe travels
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BotB
To the OP...did the 'bait' work? (will you be working to get Diamond now or will you stay at Gold?)
Hilton is useful in the UK as it's pretty much the only programme that has a good smattering of properties. I also find the HH account a very useful way of checking what bookings have been made - far easier than trawling corporate TA emails to see what I need to cancel if a business trip changes. So most of my new spurt of travel is likely to land in Hilton properties.

I was Diamond for 2-3 years through to 2013/2014, and thought about asking for a Diamond accelerator to get back there but even though I'd probably comfortably cross the required challenge it just didn't seem worth the it compared with an getting an easier, web sign-up Gold challenge completed sooner without yet another phone call to a call centre. Gold seems to give me most of what I'd value during a stay, and I think that says something about my general view of HH as a "downstream" benefits programme via Points accrue / burn. I've struggled to use my HH Points in a way that looks like value, so earning more to see the next round of devaluation doesn't really excite me .

Having said that, if my expected travel keeps up I will probably tip from Gold to Diamond at some point, and no doubt I'll make use of the little extra perks when it does.

Safe travels
And you ^^ .
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:41 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Hilton is useful in the UK as it's pretty much the only programme that has a good smattering of properties. I also find the HH account a very useful way of checking what bookings have been made - far easier than trawling corporate TA emails to see what I need to cancel if a business trip changes. So most of my new spurt of travel is likely to land in Hilton properties.

I was Diamond for 2-3 years through to 2013/2014, and thought about asking for a Diamond accelerator to get back there but even though I'd probably comfortably cross the required challenge it just didn't seem worth the it compared with an getting an easier, web sign-up Gold challenge completed sooner without yet another phone call to a call centre. Gold seems to give me most of what I'd value during a stay, and I think that says something about my general view of HH as a "downstream" benefits programme via Points accrue / burn. I've struggled to use my HH Points in a way that looks like value, so earning more to see the next round of devaluation doesn't really excite me .

Having said that, if my expected travel keeps up I will probably tip from Gold to Diamond at some point, and no doubt I'll make use of the little extra perks when it does.
Agreed, Hilton coverage is good in the UK and the latest properties are quite good, hopefully a sign of change to come for the older hotels as well. For the same reason I'm also with Hilton as my primary chain (about 45 stays/nights a year out of 100 or so these days). Devaluation is a concern to be sure and for that reason I never let my points go over 150k (my wife takes care of that without management most times! ) I also find the app useful for checking bookings at a glance and to organise myself. Another aspect is that I've never had Hilton charge me for a stay I've cancelled online. With other chains, I've cancelled the stay and had to send in the cancellation confirmation as they did not receive the cancellation and tried to charge me for the no show...It is one aspect that Hilton seems to get right (for the seldom time I need this), maybe just luck and anecdotal but my experience in any case.

In some ways, having the level below top tier can be good as I find that sometimes comes across to veteran staff at hotels as someone that actually travels and didn't get a status match...(from a first glance at the screens as most don't look to see the detail on how many stays, nights in that hotel, etc..) . For example, with Accor, I've had distinctly better upgrades as a Gold than Plat. and that is the only thing I can put it down to...

In any case, hope business is good and Hilton works for you, maybe catch up with you sometime on your travels. (or wizla...check the meet up thread sticky if that is of interest).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

...maybe catch up with you sometime on your travels. (or wizla...check the meet up thread sticky if that is of interest).
I'll see if I can organise myself to do that ^^^.

Had a quick peek at the sticky-wiki, hope you enjoy Algarve. I really did in ~March when we were lucky with an early start to the warm season, and it'd be interesting to hear what it's like heading out of season at the other end.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

9So I cracked and called in to request a totally cheeky upgrade to Diamond based on previously being Diamond . Granted .

And subsequent stays at same property have resulted in nice upgrades and high-quality nibbles in room, but no "personal" bottle of wine in room - had to go to lounge for that .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.