Wiki Posts
Search

Points & Money v Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Points & Money v Points

Can someone please explain to me why trying to change how you're paying for a booking is harder than swimming from Ireland to America?

I have a points & money booking at a Hilton on this coming Saturday. I want to change it to a pure money booking but because the hotel no longer have a double room available they are not able to change it?!?!?!?!?!

Even though I have a double room booked already, surely it can't be that difficult to just change a booking rather than having to cancel it and book me in a room which is (conveniently) about £60 more expensive than the room I'm already in.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
Can someone please explain to me why trying to change how you're paying for a booking is harder than swimming from Ireland to America?

I have a points & money booking at a Hilton on this coming Saturday. I want to change it to a pure money booking but because the hotel no longer have a double room available they are not able to change it?!?!?!?!?!

Even though I have a double room booked already, surely it can't be that difficult to just change a booking rather than having to cancel it and book me in a room which is (conveniently) about £60 more expensive than the room I'm already in.
Why change it? If they no longer have it, certainly they’ll have to find you something appropriate when you show up.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Why change it? If they no longer have it, certainly they’ll have to find you something appropriate when you show up.
The OP wants to keep the room and change the method of pay, same as they would change the credit card on the reservation.

However since that type of room is at full occupancy there is no guarantee it would be the same price as when the OP booked.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
How can you know that it's £60 more expensive if it's not available?

Isn't it more a question that the underlying rate has changed, and that they're not willing to rebook you into any kind of room at the original rate?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
How can you know that it's £60 more expensive if it's not available?

Isn't it more a question that the underlying rate has changed, and that they're not willing to rebook you into any kind of room at the original rate?
Because the price hasn't changed from when I booked it, even so all I want to do is pay using no points but full cash.

I am struggling to see why this is so difficult, it benefits the hotel better.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:52 am

Because the price hasn't changed from when I booked it, even so all I want to do is pay using no points but full cash.

I am struggling to see why this is so difficult, it benefits the hotel better.
How do you know the price hasn't changed? Again, the room is no longer available for booking, so you can't see what the current rate is.

It doesn't necessarily benefit the hotel, and they're not going to go bonkers over the few dollar difference.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
How do you know the price hasn't changed? Again, the room is no longer available for booking, so you can't see what the current rate is.

It doesn't necessarily benefit the hotel, and they're not going to go bonkers over the few dollar difference.
Because the price being quoted for a King Deluxe Room is the same as the price as a King Deluxe room as when I booked it. Therefore would indicate that the rates probably haven't changed.

And if they're not bothered by the difference why not keep the customer happy?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Because the price being quoted for a King Deluxe Room is the same as the price as a King Deluxe room as when I booked it. Therefore would indicate that the rates probably haven't changed.

And if they're not bothered by the difference why not keep the customer happy?
Just because a one bed room is the same price does not mean that a double room (2 dbl beds) is the same price. All that means is the hotel is still charging the same price for a one bed room -- probably because they have a lot more of those rooms and they are in less demand.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Just because a one bed room is the same price does not mean that a double room (2 dbl beds) is the same price. All that means is the hotel is still charging the same price for a one bed room -- probably because they have a lot more of those rooms and they are in less demand.
I only want a one bed room.

I don't know why people think a one person on a reservation would require two beds in a room.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat

I don't know why people think a one person on a reservation would require two beds in a room.
Well you picked the room didn't you?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I get where the OP is coming from: he's willing to live with his existing rate and room type, but simply wants to change form of payment. Since the new points slider directly equates points to cash, it seems like you should be able to go in at any time before your stay and move it around, choosing more points or more cash, without having to cancel and rebook. If you had started all cash, you *could* change the credit card used without a rebooking. But once you're into the points world, it changes a bit.

It's clear that the website doesn't support this. Perhaps phone the front desk?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I get where the OP is coming from: he's willing to live with his existing rate and room type, but simply wants to change form of payment. Since the new points slider directly equates points to cash, it seems like you should be able to go in at any time before your stay and move it around, choosing more points or more cash, without having to cancel and rebook. If you had started all cash, you *could* change the credit card used without a rebooking. But once you're into the points world, it changes a bit.

It's clear that the website doesn't support this. Perhaps phone the front desk?
No one can help. I'm now at the point where I'll cancel the reservation and go elsewhere.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I don't know why people think a one person on a reservation would require two beds in a room...
Just FYI one benefit of Hilton Honors is that the 2nd guest in the room is free. So at hotels that normally charge extra for a 2nd person you book for one even though there may be two in the room. If those two want separate beds then you book doubles/queens. So it does happen.

Also, when you book a points and money award there is wording to the effect that once you book it you can't change it (i.e. the payment amount). So the hotel is within its rights to say no. You can of course cancel if you're within the cancellation period. It sounds like cancellation is your choice so good luck with finding a better deal for yourself.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I love getting a 2-bed room when I travel alone...I'd spread my clothes out for the next day, have room to spread out any work stuff, got to choose which bed was better (one might be too close to the a/c, noise, too hard, too soft, whatever).

I love having options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.