Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown {US-MA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown {US-MA}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown {US-MA}

I can't find an E-mail address for this property. Can someone help me out? Is there a way to get from BDL to the hotel? Are there any shuttles operating? We are driving cross country from the East Coast and the difference of renting a car out of Springfiled compared to BDL is $ 2,000.00.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I can't find an E-mail address for this property. Can someone help me out? Is there a way to get from BDL to the hotel? Are there any shuttles operating? We are driving cross country from the East Coast and the difference of renting a car out of Springfiled compared to BDL is $ 2,000.00.
I have a few suggestions:

1. Check the hotel website under Maps and Directions (it always give info about getting to the closest airport): http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...DHX/index.html

2. Why not call the hotel and get an immediate answer to your questions. They are usually happy to help and may have additional info not easily found anywhere else.

3. Why not check options under Ground Transportation on the BDL airport website? Generally, you will get a fairly complete list of various options.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:19 pm

Uber fare estimator says thirty bucks. That wasn't very difficult, now was it?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Uber fare estimator says thirty bucks. That wasn't very difficult, now was it?
Not for you. We don't even have a smartphone.. But thanks for the info. much obliged.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
I have a few suggestions:

1. Check the hotel website under Maps and Directions (it always give info about getting to the closest airport): http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...DHX/index.html

2. Why not call the hotel and get an immediate answer to your questions. They are usually happy to help and may have additional info not easily found anywhere else.

3. Why not check options under Ground Transportation on the BDL airport website? Generally, you will get a fairly complete list of various options.
Tried 3. but wasn't very successful. Good point to give them a call, will be an overseas call since I am in Japan ( and I don't have Skype ). So I would have liked to send e-mail. But I will do that. Thanks a million.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Tried 3. but wasn't very successful. Good point to give them a call, will be an overseas call since I am in Japan ( and I don't have Skype ). So I would have liked to send e-mail. But I will do that. Thanks a million.
Call toll free Hilton Reservations line and ask them to transfer you to the hotel directly for this question...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:11 am

Not for you. We don't even have a smartphone.. But thanks for the info. much obliged.
Well that's all I've got. I'm not in touch with the local horse and buggy operators. Best of luck to you.
lcohen999 and Cymro like this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'm wondering how we would have solved this problem before the internet.

1. Pay the $2k because you wouldn't think of booking from a nearby location;
2. Take a cab (because even an old-fashioned cab would do it for less than $2k) - maybe there are no cab operators at the airport, but it seems unlikley;
3. Book a one-way rental from BDL for a day;
4. Live in the same century as everyone else. No one "doesn't have" Skype for purposes like this - they either don't see the need, or are actively refusing to do so. It's free. Smartphones aren't literally free, but they are cheap enough that anyone who can afford to travel can afford to buy one, and can use services that are designed specifically to solve this kind of problem (and many more).

Last edited by Cymro; Oct 12, 2017 at 6:51 am
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:31 am

In all seriousness, since this thread is headed in the direction of being borderline ridiculous, I'll go ahead and throw this out there - you don't actually need a smart phone to use Uber. Once can simply utilize the mobile website from any PC.

But I would imagine OP would probably be wise to just call a cab; I agree that the difference in cost between that and Uber would be less than $2000.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Hi everybody. All your comments and suggestions have been well received. My apologies for living in the stone age. Give me a little slack, I am in my eighties. My problem is solved and yes, I could have done it all by myself, just thought I throw it out to to make it easier on me. I am retreating, tail between my legs and promise to do better in the future. Thanks again.

Mods, please close thread.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
LOL...you ran into something wonky with the way rental agencies price long-haul one-way rentals. I've had that happen before. Price to ITH = insane. Price to SYR = semi-sane...

Look at all your fine print on the rental - make sure your lower BDL rate doesn't include mileage charges or drop off fees. Those still occasionally exist in the one-way world, even though they no longer do on "normal" (local) rentals.

The hotel front desk can phone a taxi for you. There may be a Super Shuttle type service as well. (I hate those in major cities, but it's possible that to a smaller airport, your hotel might know of a local one that is close to a nonstop shot to BDL.) It's about a 20 mile ride... Uber/Lyft would of course be cheaper, but for a one-time use it's probably not worth worrying about it.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Hi everybody. All your comments and suggestions have been well received. My apologies for living in the stone age. Give me a little slack, I am in my eighties. My problem is solved and yes, I could have done it all by myself, just thought I throw it out to to make it easier on me. I am retreating, tail between my legs and promise to do better in the future. Thanks again.

Mods, please close thread.
You ran into some rather snarky responses here which were really uncalled for. Safe travels on your drive, but I would check the rental quote for mileage charges, especially for such a large price difference and obviously long drive. I live in the Syracuse/Rochester NY area and if your drive takes you through here, there are some beautiful areas to see. If you've never been to Niagara Falls it is worth stopping to see and one of my favorite places to just walk around and enjoy the beauty, especially early in the day. Best of luck and get that tail out from between your legs
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
LOL...you ran into something wonky with the way rental agencies price long-haul one-way rentals. I've had that happen before. Price to ITH = insane. Price to SYR = semi-sane...

Look at all your fine print on the rental - make sure your lower BDL rate doesn't include mileage charges or drop off fees. Those still occasionally exist in the one-way world, even though they no longer do on "normal" (local) rentals.

The hotel front desk can phone a taxi for you. There may be a Super Shuttle type service as well. (I hate those in major cities, but it's possible that to a smaller airport, your hotel might know of a local one that is close to a nonstop shot to BDL.) It's about a 20 mile ride... Uber/Lyft would of course be cheaper, but for a one-time use it's probably not worth worrying about it.
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
You ran into some rather snarky responses here which were really uncalled for. Safe travels on your drive, but I would check the rental quote for mileage charges, especially for such a large price difference and obviously long drive. I live in the Syracuse/Rochester NY area and if your drive takes you through here, there are some beautiful areas to see. If you've never been to Niagara Falls it is worth stopping to see and one of my favorite places to just walk around and enjoy the beauty, especially early in the day. Best of luck and get that tail out from between your legs
Thanks for the tips, very helpful. This is a trip celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. We have been to so many cities and airports in the U.S. but never really seen the countryside. So we are looking forward to a two week trip from the East Coast to California before we fly home to Japan. Does take a little bit of planning, though. Thanks again.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Lots of snark flowing through here. Show some kindness, decency and respect!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks for the tips, very helpful. This is a trip celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. We have been to so many cities and airports in the U.S. but never really seen the countryside. So we are looking forward to a two week trip from the East Coast to California before we fly home to Japan. Does take a little bit of planning, though. Thanks again.
That's awesome! Congratulations! Once you plan the route (or if you have questions about the route), there are lots of people here who can provide tips along the way. Hopefully sans snark...

If it's not really about Hiltons along the way, the various USA boards have a lot of good roadtripping info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.