Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

West Hotel Sydney, Curio Collection by Hilton {AUS}

West Hotel Sydney, Curio Collection by Hilton {AUS}

Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shillard
Not sure, I've stayed here 3-4 times and never had a connecting room. Email them directly?

Unless you're redeeming points at a really good rate, you're better off elsewhere. Seriously, this place should be branded DoubleTree.
i know. It's sad neither the Hilton nor this place can accommodate a family of four in a normal, single room. Just odd. Suites at these two places are outrageous for both cash and pts redemption. Which leaves me with the option of booking two connecting rooms. And right now std redemptions at this Curio are a much better rate than the Hilton, hence I am considering.
not2017 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
i know. It's sad neither the Hilton nor this place can accommodate a family of four in a normal, single room. Just odd. Suites at these two places are outrageous for both cash and pts redemption. Which leaves me with the option of booking two connecting rooms. And right now std redemptions at this Curio are a much better rate than the Hilton, hence I am considering.
I've used interconnecting rooms @ The Hilton many times for my family of four. They organise that pretty well - they may try to hit you up for a $50 charge but just tell them that is outrageous and they'll drop it.

Sometimes redemption rates are a lot lower closer to the date of travel - but sometimes they are not...
not2017 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by elleana
Have stayed a couple of times since the beginning of the year. 0 for 3 on upgrades (unless you count higher floor / supposedly nicer view as upgrades, which I don't). Rooms are decent, if a bit on the small side and as others have commented there is a tiny rail with a few hangers which doubles up as a wardrobe. Lack of bathtub does not bother me, but minibar is bizarrely tiny as well - its empty (which is great unlike at the Hilton Sydney with its error-prone "we'll charge you as soon as we detect any movement" minibar) but fits only about 4 small bottles and isn't all that cold either. Continental breakfast is good enough for me - yoghurt, a couple of small pastries, maybe some fruit and coffee (I only partake of the giant buffet breakfasts whilst on holiday) so haven't tried the a la carte options yet.

Great thing though about this property is that it is a 1 minute walk away from the office (2 if the light isn't in my favor) so I guess I will be returning more..
If you email or ask SYD Hilton @ the desk they will put on your profile to have the minibar emptied before you arrive.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
i know. It's sad neither the Hilton nor this place can accommodate a family of four in a normal, single room. Just odd.
I think you'll find this is pretty much the norm in any hotel outside of North America, so you'd better plan accordingly.
not2017 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Stayed the night, upgraded to top floor room, free mini bar ( Water , Beer , Coke , Diet Coke and two snacks ). No free drink vouchers ( which I’m guessing the mini bar covered ) , breakfast was an 10AUD up charge for hot. Location ok, nothing special. Someone above brought up why west is in the name. The hotel is actually called West Hotel. Rooms aren’t that large but ok, props to the hotel for allowing a very check in at 9.00 am without an issues.
not2017 likes this.

Last edited by ozstock; Feb 4, 2021 at 4:09 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:17 am

The drinks vouchers given to Diamonds in lieu of lounge access, it it per stay or for every night of stay?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:55 am

Per stay ....
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
When I stayed here pre-covid I got drinks vouchers for every day of my stay. Cut backs again, shame.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:10 pm

Does anyone have the email to contact reservation department from the hotel?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Staying here currently. Good location close to Darling Harbour and walkable distance from The Rocks/Circular Quay. Surrounding streets are quite hilly. Nice albeit small rooms. No drinks vouchers! Buffet breakfast. Additional $10pp for cooked breakfast. Rather disappointing tbh
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
That $10 upcharge is all across Australia/NZ (with the exception of Brisbane). It was basically (from what I'm told) a get together of all the Hilton owners and was agreed to do.

Apparently Hilton Brisbane is owned by corporate so it doesn't apply
moa999, not2017 and MM00LL2 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by lcohen999
That $10 upcharge is all across Australia/NZ (with the exception of Brisbane). It was basically (from what I'm told) a get together of all the Hilton owners and was agreed to do.

Apparently Hilton Brisbane is owned by corporate so it doesn't apply
No upcharge at Hilton Sydney.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am going to Sydney in January. I am using my points. When I looked a few weeks ago, this hotel was a lot less than the Hilton. Now, it looks like the difference for 5 nights is only about 30,000 points. It seems the Hilton is a better choice - bigger room, better breakfast, better location, better chance for upgrade, better view... and for 30,000 more, I should book the Hilton?

Thoughts? Thanks.
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 3:48 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
For 7500 extra points a night (5th being free) I would go for the Hilton
username, shillard, RafKa and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:34 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Originally Posted by username
better location?
Check the map. The Hilton is much farther away from the harbor. Many prime tourist spots are closer to the West Sydney Hotel versus the Hilton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.