Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton please stop using motion controlled thermostats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K

I've encounter two different hiltons in hot destinations (Utah, La Quinta Ca) that use the verdant thermostats. These are designed to activate based upon motion and heat detection. Good in theory but don't work in practice. The first hotel never got below 80 degrees all night. The second was going to be the same situation but maintenance has agreed to switch to an older thermostat to maintain a constant temperature. I can understand cost savings but these devices don't work.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I've encounter two different hiltons in hot destinations (Utah, La Quinta Ca) that use the verdant thermostats. These are designed to activate based upon motion and heat detection. Good in theory but don't work in practice. The first hotel never got below 80 degrees all night. The second was going to be the same situation but maintenance has agreed to switch to an older thermostat to maintain a constant temperature. I can understand cost savings but these devices don't work.
I've been there many times. As someone who prefers 68 degrees for sleeping at night, these things are useless.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I was just in the same boat at a Hampton Inn in Bakersfield a few weeks ago. Completely frustrating.

Having spoken to management about it, let me inform you that motion sensing is a setting that can be easily disabled. Just ask at the front desk and they will tell you the buttons to hold down to turn off the motion sensor.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jn in ca
I was just in the same boat at a Hampton Inn in Bakersfield a few weeks ago. Completely frustrating.

Having spoken to management about it, let me inform you that motion sensing is a setting that can be easily disabled. Just ask at the front desk and they will tell you the buttons to hold down to turn off the motion sensor.

Still a problem if you arrive late and want to get right to sleep.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hilton Garden Inn New York Midtown Park Av also had motion-sensing thermostat. The room temperature shot up when I went to bed.

It's good to know that it can be disabled. Thanks for that information, jn in ca.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:22 am
aih

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
If the thermostat looks like the one in the video at

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....hot-youd-like/

I can say the procedure described there works.

For what it's worth I typically don't see this. I've only encountered this once that I recall, and it was the type described at the link. It was the Hampton Inn downtown Birmingham AL.
jn in ca and ibbitsc like this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
There are videos on YouTube that tell you how to enable "VIP mode" (which overrides the motion sensors and temperature limits for 48-72 hours) for particular models of thermostats. Note there might be a couple of ways to try for each (if one doesn't work).
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
An overheated hotel room is my worst nightmare (and I hate it when the windows don't open at all) and it is a reason for me not to return to a certain hotel, even if all the rest is fabulous...
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
I'm wondering what type of sensor the hotels use to detect occupancy. I've thought that if it's an IR an IR strobe might trick the sensor into thinking somebody is moving around the room. They're about $16 on eBay. I might buy one to throw in my carry-on and try it out next time I'm in a place that has their A/C set up like that
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
There must have been a good Verdant salesman in the California area. I've had 4 properties that use these - Hampton x 2, HGI, HS. The last two they have worked as designed. The only problem is the fan can't be set to constant which I prefer.

There are hacks to be found and I tried one but the configuration was managed centrally and wouldn't allow adjustment. Technology making our lives better ....
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by smc333
I'm wondering what type of sensor the hotels use to detect occupancy. I've thought that if it's an IR an IR strobe might trick the sensor into thinking somebody is moving around the room. They're about $16 on eBay. I might buy one to throw in my carry-on and try it out next time I'm in a place that has their A/C set up like that
That's interesting. I'd be curious to see the results of this.

Nothing worse than setting the thermostat nice and cold and waking up a few hours later in a pool of sweat.
hurnik likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'd invoke the Hampton guarantee if the HVAC didn't work.

But "working HVAC" I mean the thing keeps the room at 66 degrees the entire time I'm there, including while I'm sleeping.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:39 pm

If they are truly looking to save on energy, then go the way if many non-US hotels and used the card in slot electricity activation thing. But motion detection in a place where people go primarily to sleep is beyond dumb.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MissJ
If they are truly looking to save on energy, then go the way if many non-US hotels and used the card in slot electricity activation thing.
At least with that thing, you can put any card you like in there. So none of the room's occupants actually have to give up their room key...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MissJ
But motion detection in a place where people go primarily to sleep is beyond dumb.
Hear, hear!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.