Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Darcy Washington DC, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-DC} (no longer Honors)

The Darcy Washington DC, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-DC} (no longer Honors)

Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:07 pm

If anyone has stayed at this place when it was a Doubletree, I'd be interested to hear a comparison before and after the rebranding.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thank you very much for the review CWS! I am sending my hubby off to D.C. in two weeks, and I was very tempted to book a room at The Darcy for him. Your review helped me decide not to do that.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Thank you very much for the review CWS! I am sending my hubby off to D.C. in two weeks, and I was very tempted to book a room at The Darcy for him. Your review helped me decide not to do that.
Well, it was just the breakfast really, plus the lack of immediately local alternatives (well, short of going to the Holiday Inn next door!). So if the location is good and you want a well appointed room then a case can be made for it. But at this stage the HGI by McPherson metro seems a better bet, if DCA is also part of your plans.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Smile 🔒🔒🔒

This thread should be lockedas the property has been re-branded a Curio.

I've started receiving emails about the new property, now know as The Darcy Washington DC - Curio Collection by Hilton
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Wow, not a good first impression.

When I stayed in the past, Diamonds, were given breakfast vouchers in the restaurant. Which was good restaurant.

I wonder what kind of concept the new restaurant will be?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I wonder what kind of concept the new restaurant will be?
It's an upscale bakery, with light bites. Menu is here:
http://www.thedarcyhotel.com/content...lil-b-menu.pdf
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's an upscale bakery, with light bites. Menu is here:
http://www.thedarcyhotel.com/content...lil-b-menu.pdf
I'm sorry, I meant the actual execution. This hotel deserves better.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - September 9 - 10

Location: The hotel is located on Rhode Island Avenue NW between 15th and 16th Streets in an area between Du Pont and Logan Circles. The Farragut North Metro Station is a 10 minute walk away and Union Station is an $8 Uber ride. There isn't much in the immediate vicinity, but walking to 14th Street brings one to a vibrant neighborhood with a number of local bars and restaurants.

Hotel: This was my first Curio so I wasn't sure what to expect. The hotel has a nice boutique feel to it. The lobby has a large bar and restaurant, though the staff was kind of vague on closing times ("depends how busy it is" I was told). The common areas and floors have gotten some recent renovations and look really inviting. I was quite impressed by the look and feel of the hotel.

Check In: Not the best. When I arrived only one agent was on duty and she was trying to sign a guest up for HHonors which took a while. Finally someone came out of the back and they were harried and not overly friendly. I asked about any Diamond suite upgrades and it took a few minutes for the agent to figure out her system to realize that the answer was no.

Room: Definitely a high point. While small, the room is really nice with a giant comfortable bed and impressive, though small, bathroom. I liked the upgraded beddings and toiletries.

Breakfast: A major weak point. The Diamond Breakfast is a $10 coupon for room service or at Lil B Coffee Shop and Bakery next door. I got a vanilla latte and a breakfast sandwich which came to $11. There isn't much seating at the restaurant but they'll make the food to go.

My rate was $125 with the AAA rate and my feelings are mixed. The location is not the best for touring DC (I was in for a Nats game) and the Diamond breakfast amenity is pitiful but the rooms are really nice.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
My rate was $125 with the AAA rate and my feelings are mixed. The location is not the best for touring DC (I was in for a Nats game) and the Diamond breakfast amenity is pitiful but the rooms are really nice.
An interesting report and I more or less agree, though the location was OK for me given it isn't so far from two Metro stations. My room was similar to yours, but it had a high backed easy chair on the opposite side of the room from the connecting door by the freestanding lamp. The breakfast options at least are greater with Lil'B, so my concerns there are partly assuaged. I tend to rationalise this as $125 plus small breakfast or (e.g.) $135 and large breakfast. However what I think we can say is that this hotel isn't particularly focused on getting repeat business from Diamonds, and perhaps finds the loyalty aspect something that gets in the way of their particular business model.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
Stay Report - September 9 - 10

Location: The hotel is located on Rhode Island Avenue NW between 15th and 16th Streets in an area between Du Pont and Logan Circles. The Farragut North Metro Station is a 10 minute walk away and Union Station is an $8 Uber ride. There isn't much in the immediate vicinity, but walking to 14th Street brings one to a vibrant neighborhood with a number of local bars and restaurants.

I disagree that this location is not good for a tourist in DC. I travel to DC frequently for pleasure and work. The property is a short walk to the White House and Mall.

There are a number of restaurants I've been to on 14 between N and U Street. Barcelona is one of my favorite places in DC. Ive eaten at 10 or so restaurants along the strip. And I'm someone that is very familiar with this area prior to its revitalization.

This property is a good base to get to Dupont, G-Town, U Street, or the Mall.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:06 pm

Lol, always hilarious to hear people who don't know a town review properties. 14th Street; what could possibly be going on there?

Darcy is probably the best-located Hilton property in D.C. and that's not actually subjective - take a look at the map, it's literally on the central axis of the design layout, and equidistant from the hottest neighborhoods.

Just to be clear though - I'm definitely not forgiving them for their poor breakfast. But as someone who has lived in D.C. for close to 10 years, for $125/night, take it!
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I disagree that this location is not good for a tourist in DC. I travel to DC frequently for pleasure and work. The property is a short walk to the White House and Mall.

There are a number of restaurants I've been to on 14 between N and U Street. Barcelona is one of my favorite places in DC. Ive eaten at 10 or so restaurants along the strip. And I'm someone that is very familiar with this area prior to its revitalization.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Lol, always hilarious to hear people who don't know a town review properties. 14th Street; what could possibly be going on there?

Darcy is probably the best-located Hilton property in D.C. and that's not actually subjective - take a look at the map, it's literally on the central axis of the design layout, and equidistant from the hottest neighborhoods.

Just to be clear though - I'm definitely not forgiving them for their poor breakfast. But as someone who has lived in D.C. for close to 10 years, for $125/night, take it!
Meh - for some one who's walked those neighborhoods in what goes for crummy weather in DC, the hotel's not close to any Metro stop nor is it near the primary tourist places - unless you like walking blocks and blocks.

David
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Originally Posted by arlflyer

My actual phrase was "not the best" for touring DC, I didn't say it was a bad location. I think the Grand Hyatt, located literally on top of a major Metro station and a far shorter walk to the Mall, is a superiorly located hotel.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DELee
Meh - for some one who's walked those neighborhoods in what goes for crummy weather in DC, the hotel's not close to any Metro stop nor is it near the primary tourist places - unless you like walking blocks and blocks.

David
I'm a NYer. We

What one determines what is "too close or too far" from X thing is going to be subjective. I'm not sure how a 5/10 min walk to tourist sites is not "near"?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:30 pm

I'm a NYer. We

What one determines what is "too close or too far" from X thing is going to be subjective. I'm not sure how a 5/10 min walk to tourist sites is not "near"?
For the record, the hotel is a 2.0 mile (40 minute walk) from the Air and Space Museum, 1.4 miles (28 minute walk) from the Washington Monument, 1.6 mile (33 minute walk) to the Newseum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.