FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Pay with points and money?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1863768-pay-points-money.html)

acarney Aug 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Pay with points and money??

Do they only show you points options if you have enough points in your Hilton account at the time?

I'm trying to see what my points and money options would be to stay at the Universal Hilton in Universal City, CA on Oct 26th to Oct 30th. The ONLY quotes I'm seeing online is for money only, $219/night best rate.

I don't currently have any points in my Hilton account, but I have enough to transfer from my Amex Plat into my Hilton to net ~66k Hilton points. I know it's not a huge amount and maybe there are better redemption options with Amex... but I don't really use my Amex all that much so my points certainly don't build up very fast, in fact most of them are still from my signup bonus. Redeeming for a statement credit looks like it works out to HALF a cent with Amex so that doesn't really seem like a very good option. I'm curious if I can save some cash on the hotel booking or redeem for a single free night and pay for the rest or something... but I can't figure out how to do that on Hilton's app or web site.

Anyone know what the points rates are for that hotel and how much each 1000 pts discounts the cost when used as the points and money option?

jbeckett Aug 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Sign out from the Hilton web site, then search. It will just show you options that you have enough points for if signed in, but will show you everything if signed out.

birdiedouble Aug 28, 2017 2:46 pm

The total cash+tax price for those 4 nights would be $1017.86. Applying the 66,000 points to the stay would be a total of $682.46. The savings would be $335, so the points would work out to just over 1/2 cent per point. This would be my floor for a points redemption. The individual nights are 50,000 points and the nice thing with the points and cash is that you could use you whole balance. Maybe someone else has some better redemption ideas.

acarney Aug 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble (Post 28747024)
The total cash+tax price for those 4 nights would be $1017.86. Applying the 66,000 points to the stay would be a total of $682.46. The savings would be $335, so the points would work out to just over 1/2 cent per point. This would be my floor for a points redemption. The individual nights are 50,000 points and the nice thing with the points and cash is that you could use you whole balance. Maybe someone else has some better redemption ideas.

Hmmm, that's better then I thought it would be. I had kinda switched gears when I found out I could do round trip F on Delta for this little get away for 50k miles and Amex is 1:1 transfer to Delta. I would have to buy about 1000 miles and a little tax... or quickly buy all my theme park tickets on the Amex and wait for them to post :P

Then I was going to use the $300 Chase travel credit for the hotel... BUT, maybe I'll just use the points and travel credit for the hotel and fly Alaska coach down for cheap and make use of the Cent lounge in SEA... (Delta's connections are too tight to make use of any lounge in SEA, and my flights aren't all that long... PSC to SEA to LAX)

acarney Sep 5, 2017 6:32 pm

Hey guys, I hate having to ask you this again but apparently Hilton's chat reps are useless and couldn't give me a quote. I only see the slider if I'm logged into my account and have at least 5,000 points. I have 66,000 worth of Hilton Honors points if I transfer from my Amex Plat... but I don't want to transfer them until I can get a price quote and figure out which way is best for me to use them on this upcoming trip...

I'm now looking at checking into the Universal Hilton Oct 28th and checking out Oct 30th (so a two night stay). I can see that 50,000 points would give me one night free and the second night would be ~$220 + whatever tax. That leaves 16,000 points unused though so I'm wondering what the cost would be if I used all 66,000 with pay with points for that stay. Right now it's pricing out as $217.55 for the 28th and $222.13 for the 29th for a total of $508.93 after tax. I'm sorry for having to ask for someone to go price it for me but I did contact Hilton and they couldn't tell me crap...

Also, I assume I get my gold benefits even if I pay with points and money, right? (Boy I'm really and SPG guy.... lol)

krazykanuck Sep 5, 2017 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 28781095)
I'm now looking at checking into the Universal Hilton Oct 28th and checking out Oct 30th (so a two night stay). I can see that 50,000 points would give me one night free and the second night would be ~$220 + whatever tax. That leaves 16,000 points unused though so I'm wondering what the cost would be if I used all 66,000 with pay with points for that stay. Right now it's pricing out as $217.55 for the 28th and $222.13 for the 29th for a total of $508.93 after tax. I'm sorry for having to ask for someone to go price it for me but I did contact Hilton and they couldn't tell me crap...

Also, I assume I get my gold benefits even if I pay with points and money, right? (Boy I'm really and SPG guy.... lol)

I just priced this for you and using 66k points, would take it to 66k points + $173. In the new Hilton points + cash option, the points are used at a fixed value of 0.5 cents each.

I would really advise against transferring Amex points to Hilton and doing this redemption, as it's a pretty terrible value of Amex points, but hey, they're your points. I would recommend checking your Amex Offers on your Platinum card and looking for the current Hilton Spend $250+, get $$ back. And yes you get your gold benefits regardless of cash, points, or cash + points.

acarney Sep 5, 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 28781167)
I just priced this for you and using 66k points, would take it to 66k points + $173. In the new Hilton points + cash option, the points are used at a fixed value of 0.5 cents each.

I would really advise against transferring Amex points to Hilton and doing this redemption, as it's a pretty terrible value of Amex points, but hey, they're your points. I would recommend checking your Amex Offers on your Platinum card and looking for the current Hilton Spend $250+, get $$ back. And yes you get your gold benefits regardless of cash, points, or cash + points.

Thanks for reminding me about that! I just activated that today and then promptly forgot about it while trying to figure out what I'm spending these points on. Speaking of which, I could have sworn Chase had those same kind of offers for their sapphire reserve card but I can't find them now...

I also am at a loss to how to use these Amex points. I don't do a lot of spend on the Amex so they aren't going to build up very fast... I'm using the $200 travel perk toward F on Delta, round trip is ~$600... so transferring them to Delta and burning ~50k for ~$400 worth of F doesn't seem worth it...

kctigers Sep 6, 2017 9:29 am

i will say from my own point of view that this new cash and points deal is terrible for the consumer, the points user, the amount of points to me, it seems has gone up and the amount of dollars has also gone up, i wish they would go back to the old system.

i am tired of these " enhancements."

just my .02 cents or points worth

birdiedouble Sep 6, 2017 9:45 am

Originally Posted by kctigers (Post 28783468)
i will say from my own point of view that this new cash and points deal is terrible for the consumer, the points user, the amount of points to me, it seems has gone up and the amount of dollars has also gone up, i wish they would go back to the old system.

i am tired of these " enhancements."

just my .02 cents or points worth

I consider myself pretty skilled at finding good cash only rates, so I'm generally only using points for 5th Night Free stays, mostly in season in FL. That's about the only time it makes sense for me. I did use some points before the "enhancement" for a couple of rooms in Orlando for a guys golf trip. Decent redemption and trip was fun.

AleEat Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

Whether I'm signed in or out doesn't seem to matter - I cannot see this "slider". I'm able to a points only rate. I see rates that have a logo beside it saying "Pay with Points and Money". No slider anywhere. Am I doing something wrong?

aww3583 Feb 12, 2018 9:11 am

Originally Posted by AleEat (Post 29408233)
Whether I'm signed in or out doesn't seem to matter - I cannot see this "slider". I'm able to a points only rate. I see rates that have a logo beside it saying "Pay with Points and Money". No slider anywhere. Am I doing something wrong?

You have to click all the way through the reservation to the final payment confirmation page. The slider is located there.

Do you have a ScriptBlocker active on your browser? You may need to turn it off.

https://1v7mh43xejam2hi9m11cptux-wpe...nd-Money-3.png