Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do Hilton Golds still get upgrades?

Old Aug 28, 17, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Do Hilton Gold members still get a room upgrade if it's available? I haven't stayed in a Hilton for a long time (but am gold via my Amex Plat) and am wondering if a free upgrade is still one of the perks. The travel blogs all seem to say yes, but I don't see it mentioned on Hilton's web site for ANY status level...

Also, any recent recommendations for the Universal City Hilton? :P
Old Aug 28, 17, 3:26 pm

but I don't see it mentioned on Hilton's web site for ANY status level...
http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/t...mbership_tiers

Gold Hilton Honors Members may be upgraded to preferred rooms up to Executive Floor room types. Preferred rooms may also include those not on the Executive Floor but conferring Executive Lounge access, the next-best available room types, rooms with desirable views or amenities or other rooms identified as “preferred” by the hotel and may vary within each brand.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Aug 28, 17, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I promise I actually checked out Hilton's site and looked for it... didn't think to look in the terms though

http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...its/index.html

If you click Gold from that page it isn't mentioned anywhere... odd they just hide it in the terms. Do you know if you have to verbally ask for an upgrade when checking in?
Old Aug 28, 17, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by acarney View Post
Also, any recent recommendations for the Universal City Hilton?
Our esteemed moderator Kiwi Flyer spent a lot of time creating links to all Hiltons. In the future, you can find them in the stickied "LINKS for Hilton Honors Hotels worldwide" thread.

The Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City does have a dedicated thread here at FlyerTalk. The last post was in November of last year.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-us-ca-14.html
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Aug 28, 17, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
In the page you've linked to it's listed under "My Way..." benefits - essentially, under specific hotel chains rather than the general benefits. Just need to scroll down a little more.

Originally Posted by acarney View Post
Thank you so much! I promise I actually checked out Hilton's site and looked for it... didn't think to look in the terms though

http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...its/index.html

If you click Gold from that page it isn't mentioned anywhere... odd they just hide it in the terms. Do you know if you have to verbally ask for an upgrade when checking in?
Old Aug 28, 17, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG / Marriott Gold.
Before you get your hopes up, I wouldn't count on upgrades. Even as a diamond I'm lucky to get an "upgrade" to the executive floor (same exact room just same floor as the lounge).
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 17, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by David Ocamb View Post
Even as a diamond I'm lucky to get an "upgrade" to the executive floor.
Ditto. Earlier this month my wife and I were at an HI in a quiet corner of Michigan paying stiff in-season rates, and as a Diamond was given indubitably the worst room in the house (first floor, facing parking lot, by stairwell) with a mumbled, "We're pretty full tonight." Lot never more than 70% full. They couldn't have cared less about status. Don't know why I bother sometimes.
jacobguo, jn in ca and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 28, 17, 9:54 pm

Programs: USair BA DL AA
As a Diamond I can't remember my last upgrade. I think I got upgraded in Vienna Austria to club floor access on two rooms I had booked on awards I think. The hotel was fairly slow and the lounge service was super limited.
So I guess if you got lucky with a friendly front desk person you might get an upgrade as a gold but unlikely. Free breakfast at some properties is about the best you can do but check your "My Way" settings in your account to make sure you get what is due.
Old Aug 28, 17, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA *G, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
No, even as a Diamond, in the 100 odd stays so far in 2017, I've probably received 3 or 4 upgrades, all outside the US and all at high-end Hiltons such as the Conrad in Istanbul, Hilton Ankara, Hilton Tel Aviv and Conrad London. Hilton is really starting to grind me down with their total lack of attention on their supposed most valuable customers.
Old Aug 28, 17, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
It's a stated benefit, but I wouldn't count on it. As a diamond upgrades are becoming harder and harder to get, so I imagine it's a lot worse for golds seeing how freely Hilton gives out the status.

I can't remember the last decent US upgrade I've received and the only suite upgrade I've received in the last year was at a Hilton outside the US.
Old Aug 29, 17, 2:40 am

Programs: United Gold, AAdvantage Plat Pro, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
My experience:
North America & Europe: Usually upgraded to a "club" room, if anything.
Asia: Almost always upgraded to a suite.
Old Aug 29, 17, 3:49 am
Original Poster

I'm kinda hoping of just being upgraded to a corner room or Universal Studios view... I don't care about either enough to pay the extra nightly cost, but it would be nice to get them for free. I hit the ground running pretty hard and don't stop, so I'm not really hanging out in the room. I figure I'm doing two days at Disney again (yes I know it's a drive but I hate shuffling from hotel to hotel and I really would only "suffer" that if I could snag a Disney hotel... but the $350+/night rates are just too damn much) and a Universal Studios and Halloween Horror Nights visit. So Disney days I'm not back to the hotel until ~10 or 11pm and up at like 7am to head to Disney. Universal Studios will be a ~8:30am till almost 2am day, so again not much hotel time.... still, having a nice view to wake up to is nice

My "normal stay" (last two years I've basically done the same trip) is over at the Universal Sheraton, usually club level since it's a super convenient quick morning bite, but they're still doing huge remodeling there this year so I'm thinking it's better to book something else, hence the shifting focus to the Hilton this year.
Old Aug 29, 17, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Spire, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Cant say I've ever had a genuine 'upgrade' as a Gold. I was told last week I was upgraded at the London Waldorf but the room didn't see to be any different to a standard. To be honest I appreciate the other bonuses like the free breakfast than a supposed room upgrade. Im slowly moving away from IHG due to the perks like that.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 17, 5:27 am

I basically never receive an upgrade as a diamond on US stays. I don't even expect it any more.
Old Aug 29, 17, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Only if you ask nicely.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: