Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do Hilton Golds still get upgrades?

Do Hilton Golds still get upgrades?

Old Aug 31, 17, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Evo40 View Post
Gold members are eligible for upgrades. It's still a stated space-available benefit (http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...its/index.html). My upgrade success rate as a Gold was about 15% (only 5% if you only count upgrades to suites).

I stayed twice at the Hilton Universal City about 10 months ago and was upgraded pre-arrival both times to a larger corner room on a high floor (as a Gold member with no previous stays at that particular hotel). This was, admittedly, during some major renovations, and I don't think the hotel was especially full.

A good continental breakfast (which can be your MyWay Gold benefit) or you can upgrade to the full breakfast buffet (which has delicious dim sum options). Also a great seafood dinner buffet on weekends; reservations recommended.
Thats pretty much all I'm hoping for, high floor, view, or corner room, or some combination of those. How do you ask for it when making the reservation? Just put in the notes "upgrade to corner or high floor please" or something? Think I would have any better luck having Amex Plat concierge make the booking for me... or wait, do you not get gold benefits then? I always forget if concierge still gets hotel status but Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts don't... also, do you happen to remember your room numbers? View of Universal? Maybe I could directly politely ask for a specific room in my notes when booking

I'm curious what the Hilton will be like, normally I stay next door at the Sheraton but they're doing massive renovations to the point where water to guest rooms will be shut off for a couple hours each day, and rates are still the same! Normally I go for club level with Sheraton to make it a quick breakfast before heading off to theme parks so I'll certainly go with Hilton's free breakfast but hopefully it's not too slow down in the restaurant.
Old Sep 1, 17, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My experience in Gold years is that I typically get a good room - high floor, decent view, etc. My experience in Diamond years is pretty much the same, but with more Exec floors and the occasional suite outside the U.S.

HHonors isn't really an upgrade-centric program. It hasn't been for at least 8-10 years. Prior to that, I had a long string of fantastic Gold upgrades (full suites, various parts of the world) going back to 2000.

Send 'em a note, ask for a corner room, seems like a good chance you'll get that assuming the corners aren't all suites or something.
Old Sep 1, 17, 2:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Disc., National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
Thats pretty much all I'm hoping for, high floor, view, or corner room, or some combination of those. How do you ask for it when making the reservation? Just put in the notes "upgrade to corner or high floor please" or something? Think I would have any better luck having Amex Plat concierge make the booking for me... or wait, do you not get gold benefits then? I always forget if concierge still gets hotel status but Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts don't... also, do you happen to remember your room numbers? View of Universal? Maybe I could directly politely ask for a specific room in my notes when booking

I'm curious what the Hilton will be like, normally I stay next door at the Sheraton but they're doing massive renovations to the point where water to guest rooms will be shut off for a couple hours each day, and rates are still the same! Normally I go for club level with Sheraton to make it a quick breakfast before heading off to theme parks so I'll certainly go with Hilton's free breakfast but hopefully it's not too slow down in the restaurant.
I think I was somewhere on the 15th or 16th floors. Alas, I don't remember the room numbers, but I had a view of the highway and the In-N-Out. I didn't hear any traffic noise.

I would encourage including the high-level corner room request in the reservation notes. Also, if you haven't already, you can set your preference to high floor in your Hilton profile (for all your Hilton bookings), along with your non-smoking and elevator proximity preference. I usually find that most locations try to honor the requests.

I doubt third-party services would be any improvement over directly booking a room yourself, in terms of upgrade chances (well, AMEX Fine Hotels & Resorts might, but this Hilton isn't in that collection).

I liked my stays at this Hilton. It's not the fanciest or most updated Hilton (maybe more updated now after renovations), but the staff was helpful and nobody tried to play any games with benefits. The corner room is pretty large as is its bathroom. Other than the LAX Hilton, the only other Los Angeles-area Hilton I've stayed at is the Hilton Checkers. Leaving aside location, I prefer the Hilton Universal City of the three.

Breakfast has a big spread in a nice atrium-style restaurant (I think the name was Cafe Sierra). As a Gold, you get the continental breakfast buffet for free (basically everything that isn't hot on the buffet), or you can use the voucher as an $18 credit towards menu items. You can also pay a $10 upcharge to get access to the full hot breakfast buffet.

It's a pretty solid continental breakfast, even without the hot items.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: