Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What's the longest line you've seen at an ES manager's reception?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

I counted 36 recently with long lines most nights. All for a free drink and some pretzels.

I approached the front desk.

First, they said they had "seen the long lines" when walking by and are "constantly busy."

What did they do about it to improve guest satisfaction? Nothing I guess.

I offered the following suggestion, as I've seen this at other ES.

Since there are two bartenders, offer a diamond line or a mobile station set up for diamonds.

1) It rewards your most loyal guests.

2) It speeds up the operation. When the diamond line is empty, that bartender waves over the next person in the regular line.

3) When non-elites see the diamond line it gives them something to aspire to and say "ok, how do I get that treatment?"

4) It stops guests snapping photos of a line with 36 people and putting it on social media which harms your hotel's standing.

The front desk agents looked at me as if I had cured polio. "That's a great idea and not something we ever thought of! We'll bring that to upper management."

They could have been totally placating me, but what's the longest line you've been in at an ES and would wait in for a well drink?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I routinely saw lines 50+ people deep for free drinks at the ES South Lake Tahoe on Saturday evenings. On at least one occasion when I wanted a drink I decided I'd rather pay for it like an adult and sit peacefully in the bar like an adult, rather than queue up for a watered down freebie like an underaged college student at a fraternity party.

Sadly that property left the HH portfolio several years ago.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I don't get quite so worked up about the lines at these events, as that there's nowhere to sit.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I don't get quite so worked up about the lines at these events, as that there's nowhere to sit.
There was plenty of seating as this was a large hotel and amen to the previous poster as well. I walked out most nights.

Even worse there was there was a separate queue 10+ deep for pretzels.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, United
I recently had a job interview and the interviewer asked me "Where do you want to be in 5 years?". I said " I aspire to be a Hilton Diamond member, so when I stay at the Embassy Suites I don't have to stand in the same line as non-elites for free beer and snack"
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I routinely saw lines 50+ people deep for free drinks at the ES South Lake Tahoe on Saturday evenings. On at least one occasion when I wanted a drink I decided I'd rather pay for it like an adult and sit peacefully in the bar like an adult, rather than queue up for a watered down freebie like an underaged college student at a fraternity party.

Sadly that property left the HH portfolio several years ago.
Of course the South Lake Tahoe ES also allowed diamonds to have drinks in the Echo Lounge- including things like champagne- during the happy hour. A great benefit. Heard that was a major source of friction with Corporate.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by saaveraward

The front desk agents looked at me as if I had cured polio. "That's a great idea and not something we ever thought of! We'll bring that to upper management."

They could have been totally placating me, but what's the longest line you've been in at an ES and would wait in for a well drink?
Did they say it like the Grand Wailea clerk in "Just Go With It?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:04 pm
cjd

Why do they call it "managers reception" when I've never seen a manager at these free drinks nights at any of the Embassy Suites we've visited? Just long lines of guests for the poor quality wine, including us!!
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:27 pm

4) It stops guests snapping photos of a line with 36 people and putting it on social media which harms your hotel's standing.
Why would it stop people from snapping photos? Only Diamonds have cameras?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Couple of people at most. Never bothered to get anything though.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yllanes
huh?

if there's no line, there's no embarrassing photos to be taken and put on social media, by anyone. I literally saw people doing that and it's a bad image for the hotel.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:55 pm

huh?

if there's no line, there's no embarrassing photos to be taken and put on social media, by anyone. I literally saw people doing that and it's a bad image for the hotel.
Having a separate line for Diamonds only speeds up the line for Diamonds...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Having a separate line for Diamonds only speeds up the line for Diamonds...

Clearly you've never seen the operations of an ES that separates them and speeds up overall productivity while giving a perk to diamonds as well.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:25 pm

What if all 36 people in the line are Diamond? Who goes in the "loser" line then? Some self entitled Diamond person who thinks to himself "There is no one in that line I will go over there."
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:27 pm

Do people choose or not choose the Embassy Suites because of a photo posted on social media of the reception area. I'd rather worry about a clean, well kept room with good internet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.