Wiki Posts
Search

Breakfast Perks, or Lack Thereof

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Breakfast Perks, or Lack Thereof

I've noticed quite a few posts recently (typically under specific hotels), as well as noticed in my recent travels, that many of the Hilton family hotels are short-changing the breakfast perks for Gold/Diamond members. There's been several times I've received a 'Voucher' for money toward the cost of breakfast, or even toward a sandwich/coffee at the lobby Starbucks.

I know others have noted this, so my question is how do each of you approach this at check-in, and how should (can) we collectively approach Hilton about this? The T&Cs for Gold/Diamond clearly state: "a complimentary continental breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay."

What do you all typically hear from staff if you bring it up? To me it seems at their prices you can barely get a coffee and a yogurt with their $10 voucher.

Just wondering what you all have experienced!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Coffee + yogurt IS (their idea of) a continental breakfast! Often the co-pay fee kicks in for "hot" items only at buffets.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Coffee + yogurt IS (their idea of) a continental breakfast! Often the co-pay fee kicks in for "hot" items only at buffets.
While I dislike the upcharge/copay for hot buffet items, it's hard to argue that since it's not guaranteed. Only can thank the hotels that offer it free!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
I am lucky to be staying in Europe and Asia only where you (mostly) get a decent breakfast buffet and executive lounge access (which is often quiet good food-and drink-wise) as a Diamond and that is the most important reason for me to stay loyal to Hilton.
If they would start offering me a 'bagel and coffee voucher' for breakfast and an executive lounge that only gives me a free coke or biscuit that would make me think about leaving Hilton...
We only use Hilton for leisure stays (earning Diamond out of our own pocket) and a decent breakfast and executive lounge definitely is a must for us.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:22 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
What I do: look in the gold/diamond breakfast sticky at the wiki, and choose hotels that offer the breakfast benefit I expect. Sometimes I will contact the hotel in advance and ask. Or if a HGI is in the mix, I just pick it.

I agree that a bagel and a coffee from a "grab and go" stand is hardly breakfast. I wish Hilton would do something about that, or require hot breakfast for diamonds. Therefore I vote with my feet and wallet: the last 3 work trips I've not bothered to get an exception from my travel department to stay in one of the downtown San Francisco properties (who are very stingy on the breakfasts). I've just stayed in the company's preferred hotels with nicer rooms that are closer to the office. I'd love to send my receipts for those stays to the GMs or Hilton corporate, but don't bother because I honestly doubt they'd care.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Delectatio
I am lucky to be staying in Europe [...] where you (mostly) get a decent breakfast buffet [...]
Isn't a continental breakfast an allusion to Europe? Or at least, wasn't it an allusion to Europe until the marketing folks got hold of the expression and deprived it of all meaning?

The first dictionary I consulted agreed with my memory that a continental breakfast is "a light breakfast, typically consisting of coffee and rolls with butter and jam."

I don't mean to detract from the argument that Hilton should provide a decent breakfast, nor do I mean to imply that any phrase that comes from a marketing department has any meaning in the common world. I believe kpbadger has presented the only reasonable courses of action, with the possible addition of letting a hotel know why it didn't get selected.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by kpbadger
the last 3 work trips I've not bothered to get an exception from my travel department to stay in one of the downtown San Francisco properties
Interesting. My theory is that the hilton powers that be are cutting these breakfast benefits (almost entirely in business travel locations) figuring that their target customers will just expense breakfast. But in your case, it's clearly backfiring on them.

I'd presume that you have the means to expense breakfast - are you doing this simply on principle? (If so, commendable)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by serpens
Isn't a continental breakfast an allusion to Europe? Or at least, wasn't it an allusion to Europe until the marketing folks got hold of the expression and deprived it of all meaning?

The first dictionary I consulted agreed with my memory that a continental breakfast is "a light breakfast, typically consisting of coffee and rolls with butter and jam."

I don't mean to detract from the argument that Hilton should provide a decent breakfast, nor do I mean to imply that any phrase that comes from a marketing department has any meaning in the common world. I believe kpbadger has presented the only reasonable courses of action, with the possible addition of letting a hotel know why it didn't get selected.
You're absolutely right! Funny enough you get a 'full American breakfast' in most Hiltons in 'Continental Europe' 😁😁 as a Gold or Diamond...
I have been in the US only a few times and when I was there I choose not to stay in any Hiltons as there are plenty of cheaper hotels (even motels) that serve a decent -free- breakfast...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:35 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'd presume that you have the means to expense breakfast - are you doing this simply on principle? (If so, commendable)
It's at least somewhat on principle.

For my company's reimbursement it's a per diem arrangement. The overall amount provided per day is insufficient to afford decent meals in San Francisco. Behind one layer of math, the breakfast cost is effectively coming out of my own pocket, so I make my choices accordingly. I'm in a different situation from people who can expense a $35 hotel buffet, a $10 diamond co-pay, or not eat at all, and end up in exactly the same place.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Delectatio
I am lucky to be staying in Europe and Asia only where you (mostly) get a decent breakfast buffet and executive lounge access (which is often quiet good food-and drink-wise) as a Diamond and that is the most important reason for me to stay loyal to Hilton.
Yup. In London I invariably get access to a full hot / English breakfast buffet, usually in the exec lounge. In the US I may get that, or a chit good for coffee and cereal and nothing else, or a blank state. The inconsistency across the Hilton empire is infuriating.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by kpbadger
For my company's reimbursement it's a per diem arrangement. The overall amount provided per day is insufficient to afford decent meals in San Francisco. Behind one layer of math, the breakfast cost is effectively coming out of my own pocket, so I make my choices accordingly. I'm in a different situation from people who can expense a $35 hotel buffet, a $10 diamond co-pay, or not eat at all, and end up in exactly the same place.
Gotcha - been there.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
This got me thinking - what exactly is a continental breakfast?

According to New Oxford American Dictionary, a continental breakfast is "a light breakfast, typically consisting of coffee and rolls with butter and jam." Merriam-Webster defines it as "a light breakfast (as of rolls or toast and coffee)". So I'm guessing coffee and one item is considered a continental breakfast.

That being said - I hardly see a $10 voucher at Starbucks proper breakfast and avoid those properties at all costs. Starbucks is what you get when you're late for class, not when traveling for leisure.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:31 pm

I wish Hilton would differentiate between Diamond and Gold for breakfasts. Everyone and their brother is Gold these days. The hotels must be struggling under the burden of providing all those breakfasts.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by UKOK
Everyone and their brother is Gold these days. The hotels must be struggling under the burden of providing all those breakfasts.
You imply that an increased number of Golds means an increased number of breakfasts. Fair. But in order to get those breakfasts, said Golds (and Diamonds) must be paying rates.

I'll let you in on a little secret: benefits aren't really "free" - they're baked into the system.

If Hilton is "struggling under the burden" of a $2 plate cost (my estimate) for some eggs, sausage, and toast, then they have operational and pricing issues, not breakfast issues.
ceebee100 and dmarge18 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I have seen both sides of the spectrum and it is one thing I think Hilton really needs to nail down.

The worst offender is the Hilton Miami. In, even for a diamond you get a VERY specific platted breakfast of fruit and yogourt from their buffet. It was the most narrow minded 'comp' breakfast I have ever seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.