Wiki Posts
Search

Credit card expiration

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Credit card expiration

Something is really wrong with the online reservation. I always plan way ahead, and now I have started looking at hotels for a USA trip in June 2018.
First I booked 3 hotels. I was surprised when all 3 came back with the message "The credit card will expire before your arrival date"! That is NOT true. The arrival dates are June 16, 21 and 22. All 3 for one night. And my credit card expires June 30 2018.
I contacted the Diamond desk, and received a short reply "We do NOT help with billing questions. You must contact the hotels"! What? I'm going to book about 20 hotels in June and I have to contact all of them? This has nothing to do with the hotel, it's an error in the Hilton reservation system.
Today I booked a new hotel and I used another credit card. But that also expires June 30 2018. And I got the same message there. And the message is wrong!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:45 pm

I would never suggest you do anything other than be on the up and up, of course, but the Hilton website does not check to see if a card's expiration date is actually correct - just that it isn't expired on the stay.

So if your card number's expiration date were to be different on the reservation than in real life, that reservation will go through.

Be aware, though, that if it's a property that pre-authorizes day of arrival you may get a call to confirm your reservation, and if you don't respond to that call your reservation may get cancelled.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
The problem is that they say that may credit card will be expired on check-in, and that's NOT true! And they don't want to do anything to help!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Just insert a different exp. date - say 06/2019. It will be fine.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
that reservation will go through.

Be aware, though, that if it's a property that pre-authorizes day of arrival you may get a call to confirm your reservation, and if you don't respond to that call your reservation may get cancelled.
If your card expires at the end of June, you will likely have a new card by the date of your stay. Figure out how many years cards from your bank are valid for (e.g. 4 years for many issuers) and add that to the expiration. By the time you check in, it will be correct.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by runarbg
And they don't want to do anything to help!
In a Contact Center (the updated term for Call Center) environment, an agent doesn't have much time to read and respond to each email. It's not unusual for the agent to skim and end up answering a question that wasn't actually asked. It's frustrating and it shouldn't happen. But, the set-up isn't likely to change any time soon.

You have a couple of options. First, you can try manually changing your expiration date on your Hilton profile. That will likely work, but may run into the problem muzthe42nd describes if you forget to enter the correct expiration date once you get a new card.

The second option is to try replying to the email. Clarify that the answer didn't match your question. Be as brief as possible. You may get lucky and find an agent that will try to fix the problem.

The final option is to call Hilton. Calling is the way to get focused attention. The agent will only be working with you...not multiple people like emails or online chat.

As this doesn't seem urgent, I'd avoid spending money on an international call. Try emailing back, first. Or, perhaps you can call the toll-free Reservations line in Norway. This isn't really a Hilton Honors issue, it's more of a general IT problem. Maybe the Reservations line can help.

Link to Hilton regional toll-free numbers: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/support/index.html
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
In a Contact Center (the updated term for Call Center) environment, an agent doesn't have much time to read and respond to each email. It's not unusual for the agent to skim and end up answering a question that wasn't actually asked. It's frustrating and it shouldn't happen. But, the set-up isn't likely to change any time soon.

You have a couple of options. First, you can try manually changing your expiration date on your Hilton profile. That will likely work, but may run into the problem muzthe42nd describes if you forget to enter the correct expiration date once you get a new card.

The second option is to try replying to the email. Clarify that the answer didn't match your question. Be as brief as possible. You may get lucky and find an agent that will try to fix the problem.

The final option is to call Hilton. Calling is the way to get focused attention. The agent will only be working with you...not multiple people like emails or online chat.

As this doesn't seem urgent, I'd avoid spending money on an international call. Try emailing back, first. Or, perhaps you can call the toll-free Reservations line in Norway. This isn't really a Hilton Honors issue, it's more of a general IT problem. Maybe the Reservations line can help.

Link to Hilton regional toll-free numbers: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/support/index.html
Why on earth make a big deal out of this? Let alone spending time and getting frustrated about finding someone to deal with this?

The OP can insert ANY exp. date - and the reservation will be completed. Or as suggested by _kurt insert the anticipated exp. date of the new card that the OP is going to receive. This is really no issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.