Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Switching from points+miles to points+points

Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Say I'm going to be staying at Hilton#1 on a Tuesday night, and Hilton#2 on a Wednesday night.

I want to earn points+miles on the first stay, and points+points on the second stay.

When should i change my earnings preference? After checking out of property#1 but before checking in at property#2?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:40 pm

All I can say is...good luck. I tried to do the same but HH seems incapable of making a change from what was chosen at the time of booking. I think somewhere on the website it says you must make the change at least 24 hours in advance of check-in - which I did but it made no difference.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:46 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
After 2400 Tuesday=0000 Wednesday but prepare for it to go wrong
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I recently did this as i signed up for the BA Avios 2000 miles offer. I had one stay at the Hilton Colyumbridge which I wanted to earn Points and Miles for : My last of 5x 2000 miles and then a stay at the Hilton Aberdeen which i wanted points and points for the next night.

On check out from the Colyumbridge my bill clearly stated the correct points and miles including the 2000. I left it until just before check in to the Aberdeen to swap preferences. Aberdeen correctly gave me the points and points but when the Colymbridge posted it gave me points and points as well ; but the 2000 bonus miles oddly posted with no normal miles. needless to say although the bonus miles show in my HH account they have not transferred to my BA account. 9 emails on and I am no further forward other than being sent some complicated rules about CST time which is of little use when checking in and out in the UK.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
HH Rep has kindly tried to clarify this for me.

Apparantly the T and C say that the points earning style that is applied is the one on your account at 23.59.59 CST on the day of check out. For those in the UK I think this is 17:59:59 on day of check out. Hence you may have to change your style after this time and after check in at your next hotel.

Its all a bit confusing as when I change my earning style on line I get a pop up box that does not mention this , but instead says my earning style will be updated within 3 hrs, which is clearly not the case. It is also odd that the check out invoice does not reflect the points and miles actually earned.

i have kindly suggested that Hiltons IT systems need tweaking....
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Apparantly the T and C say that the points earning style that is applied is the one on your account at 23.59.59 CST on the day of check out. For those in the UK I think this is 17:59:59 on day of check out. Hence you may have to change your style after this time and after check in at your next hotel.
I think you messed up your time zones. 23:59:59 CST is now (August) 06:59:59 +1 day in the UK. The UK is 7hrs ahead of CST in the summer.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by simonsmith
HH Rep has kindly tried to clarify this for me.

Its all a bit confusing as when I change my earning style on line I get a pop up box that does not mention this , but instead says my earning style will be updated within 3 hrs, which is clearly not the case. It is also odd that the check out invoice does not reflect the points and miles actually earned.

i have kindly suggested that Hiltons IT systems need tweaking....
Did you manage to get this resolved as i'm in the same boat as you, i wondered if a changing the preference back to points and miles before either a reward/brief stay would help move the miles from my account to BAEC...

Also have you seen that there's the same offer with Iberia apparently?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.