Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Shower drains very slowly-still not fixed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles

We checked in Friday night, for a 3 night stay. Saturday morning we go to take showers, in the tub, but the water does not drain very quickly. Within a minute you are standing a couple of inches of water. Take a normal shower, and you're looking at 5 minutes before it drains completely after you stop. Checked the plug, and there is no way to have it be open more than it is right now.

Stuff happens, so I mention at the front desk as we head out for the day, and they said they'll send someone up. OK, fine. Wake up this morning, shower is the same, so nothing was done. I'm pretty annoyed at this point. On our way out again, I tell them again(it's the same people), and the fellow is dumbstruck because he recalled specifically having the conversation. He offered to move us rooms, but we have a fair bit of stuff and have settled in, and my wife won't want to move. So he says he will speak to them again. Get back later and check it, still hasn't been addressed.

We're at a Hilton suites, so I don't believe there is a 100% guarantee. Is this a compensation-worthy issue? What is fair? I don't know if I'm being too sensitive, or if there is a beef? We're checking out tomorrow, so will either need to deal with a manager tomorrow or after the fact.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bluefan75
We're at a Hilton suites, so I don't believe there is a 100% guarantee. Is this a compensation-worthy issue? What is fair? I don't know if I'm being too sensitive, or if there is a beef?
Some people here will insist you are due a lavish service recovery offer. Other people (myself included) will say that since you declined a room change, you really aren't due anything. You'll need to decide what you feel is right because there's no definitive answer.

That said, I see nothing wrong with asking for some small gesture because the hotel tried to fixed the issue, failed, and didn't follow up to let you know the result.

Also, the thought of anyone trying to invoke a 100% satisfaction guarantee over a slow drain (after declining to change rooms) is disappointing.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Some people here will insist you are due a lavish service recovery offer. Other people (myself included) will say that since you declined a room change, you really aren't due anything. You'll need to decide what you feel is right because there's no definitive answer.

That said, I see nothing wrong with asking for some small gesture because the hotel tried to fixed the issue, failed, and didn't follow up to let you know the result.

Also, the thought of anyone trying to invoke a 100% satisfaction guarantee over a slow drain (after declining to change rooms) is disappointing.
Well we weren't offered a room change until after we told them they hadn't addressed it the previous day. Had that offer been made when I first brought the issue to their attention, and declined, then I would be on your train of thought as well. There is also nothing that suggests to me the attempt was even made to fix it. I feel pretty solid in this because while waiting for my wife to meet me in the lobby, another guest came down and stated a problem he notified them about with the whirlpool tub in his room was not fixed either.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:44 pm

Why not: (a) identify the property; and (b) post your complaint in an existing thread for that property?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
This is one of my pet peeves

But I'll be honest, the times I've complained and asked engineering to come fix it, most of the time they can't really do anything. As you can imagine with people staying night after night after night hair and whatever gets into the drain and there's really no way to fix it easily. I think if you didn't take the room change you're out of luck – it's certainly not something I would ask for some serious compensation about, especially if I've been offered a different route. It may be just at the plumbing there doesn't work very well until they do some kind of overhaul it's not going to change.
I also wouldn't assume that no one went to try to address it – it's just if they can't just pull a lot of crud out easily they won't do much else.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by squeakr
it's certainly not something I would ask for some serious compensation about
+1

This is so common, there's no way I'd expect (or ask for) comp for a slow drain.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:21 am
cjd

Yes, have had this problem with slow drainage in showers numerous times. End up standing in 6 inches of water by the end of the shower!! As a lot of our stays are one-nighters, I always inform the front desk upon check-out. Never ask for any compensation, even when staying several nights.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is so common, there's no way I'd expect (or ask for) comp for a slow drain.
That seem a strange correspondence. Just because it's common doesn't make it right.

In the scheme of things, it is minor enough that I have never asked for any consideration (other than having it fixed), so we agree on the conclusion but take a different path to get there.

If I had some way to tell that previous occupants had notified the hotel that the drain is clogged, I might well ask for compensation, because that would indicate the hotel is willing to provide a deficient service.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by serpens
That seem a strange correspondence. Just because it's common doesn't make it right.
Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it "strange."

Comp is for something serious and out of the ordinary. A slow drain is neither.

If you asked for comp every time you had a slow drain, Hilton would likely fire you as a customer.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Buy a bottle of draino, pour it in the tub, go to sleep, explain to the front desk what you did and give them the receipt so you get reimbursed. Simple. Sometimes it's better to take care of things yourself.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Ah yes my personal pet peeve.

The first time you told them, are you sure they didn't come to your room to fix? Or did they try and the hotel's just so old there's nothing they can do about it? Even if the didn't... things happen. Sometimes engineering is backed up (!) with other work. Or they just forgot. Roll with it and move on.

When you mentioned it a second time and they offered you a room change you should have taken it. Opting out of the room change means you agreed to live with the problem.

Neil
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am a maintenance guy, so I may be at an advantage. For these minor annoyances the following will usually work:

This is Ink in room 007. I have a problem with my _________. It ____________. I can fix it. I have some tools with me. I just need to know where the closest Lowe's or Home Depot is so that I can get any parts I might need.
Someone will knock on your door in under 10 minutes.

Then again, sometimes I just fix them. Should I send a bill?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kacee
Comp is for something serious and out of the ordinary. A slow drain is neither.
Compensation requests are for situations that cause you direct injury or distress, or conditions that fall short of the Hilton (or whatever) brand service promise.

A slow-running tub drain falls risibly, ridiculously short of that standard. Now towel your feet off and get on with your life.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Compensation requests are for situations that cause you direct injury or distress, or conditions that fall short of the Hilton (or whatever) brand service promise.

A slow-running tub drain falls risibly, ridiculously short of that standard. Now towel your feet off and get on with your life.
But this is Flyertalk! Everything is compensation worthy!!! Just kidding.

I've had many slow drains in my well over 1000 nights (across all brands) and think I mentioned it once. And that time was only because it was one of those showers without tub and was about to make the water run onto the floor. It was better the next day but not perfect. I took care of it myself. Have taken care of many little annoyances myself. Easier than waiting around sometimes.

And as someone said, when the OP refused the room move after the second report they basically said please try to fix but if it doesn't get fixed I can still stay in the room (then go to FT and complain). Every hotel I have ever been in where I needed to change rooms, for whatever reason, the hotel has ALWAYS helped me move my stuff.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I think that some very nominal compensation (i.e., pure goodwill gesture) is due the OP because the property failed to fix the issue at the first time of asking; if they couldn't fix the issue, they should have notified the OP at that time and offered to change rooms. I agree with others that by not accepting the offer at the second time of complaint, OP gave up anything beyond nominal compensation.

As a side note, to those who don't care about slow drains - please make a note of it to management anyway - this is generally something that management does care about and will look to rectify, especially as it is something that does annoy a lot of guests. Management can't fix what they don't know is a problem.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Buy a bottle of draino, pour it in the tub, go to sleep, explain to the front desk what you did and give them the receipt so you get reimbursed. Simple. Sometimes it's better to take care of things yourself.
Please don't do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.