Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

This is so strange! Hotel Billed Me for Stay Last Night — But My Stay is Next Month

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is so strange! Hotel Billed Me for Stay Last Night — But My Stay is Next Month

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Questions to the OP - Did they charge _your_ credit card for the stay? And...is your reservation for next month still intact? If not, the <foul>up could be that your HH account was assigned to another guest's stay. This has actually happened to me with brand "M" in the past. In this case, I let sleeping dogs lie and simply took the points/nights credit

If you were billed as a no-show, you would NOT have gotten points for the stay.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by keeton
Questions to the OP - Did they charge _your_ credit card for the stay? And...is your reservation for next month still intact? If not, the <foul>up could be that your HH account was assigned to another guest's stay. This has actually happened to me with brand "M" in the past. In this case, I let sleeping dogs lie and simply took the points/nights credit

yes my card was charged and my next stay is intact. the folio is as if I checked in and stayed the night.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I will even mention the hotel. Hampton Inn, Shakopee. If you don't know the state you probably have no need to be there.

I try to check in and and find I have no reservation. I have my paperwork and found that it was for a different week, I was dinged as a no-show and had not yet learned it. The manager was called, and he allowed a check in on the previously booked rate and credited the no-show payment to the current stay. He also said it was a one time courtesy. Understood.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I will even mention the hotel. Hampton Inn, Shakopee. If you don't know the state you probably have no need to be there.

I try to check in and and find I have no reservation. I have my paperwork and found that it was for a different week, I was dinged as a no-show and had not yet learned it. The manager was called, and he allowed a check in on the previously booked rate and credited the no-show payment to the current stay. He also said it was a one time courtesy. Understood.
MN nice.

Did you make the mistake in the reservation or did some corporate travel agent/department do it?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Step through the standard process:

* You arrive at the front desk to check in, you give the FDC your name.
* They type what they think is the proper spelling for your name and a list of hits is presented.
* They select the one they think is you (sometimes without checking dates) and check in that reservation.
* The guest presents a credit card and they either swipe it to replace what was used for the reservation or quickly (if at all) check last four digits to charge the card on file.
* No one looks any further.

I've had something like this happen to me where I had two reservations about a week apart at the same property. When I checked in for the first stay, no apparent issues. Following the stay I was billed for the stay and a no show! Turned out the FDC picked the future stay without saying a thing about being days early. Had to escalate to the FDM to get the no-show reversed and the future reservation reinstated at the rate booked.

Just to show issues are not as rare as one might think: I was travelling with a friend and we both had reservations at a property. I checked in fine, but when they pulled up his reservation, that said a co-worker checked in earlier saying he was not going to be showing up so they cancelled his rez. Turned out they had similar names and the FDC picked the wrong Mr. CoWorker. Fortunately they were able to reinstate the correct reservation and get my friend checked in. Heaven only knows if they cancelled the other person and did not charge a no-show.

Mistakes will happen. How they recover from service failures is the true measure of the property.

Last edited by RogerD408; Aug 7, 2017 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:05 am

I thought when I read this that it could be an issue of the date format... i.e. dd/mm/yyyy vs mm/dd/yyyy - this can sometimes throw me when I'm booking hotels in the USA as I was brought up in the UK with the dd/mm/yyyy system - and I regularly have to deal with both formats on a daily basis.

This date format might be an issue if, for example, somebody who is used to booking in dd/mm/yyyy was booking a hotel using a website that expects mm/dd/yyyy (or vice versa). I could envisage this issue coming up in a variety of scenarios including booking by myself, through a corporate travel agent, or whilst travelling (I sometimes have issues with the BA website whereby it occasionally swaps the date format between the dd/mm and mm/dd options; though perhaps this is moot if the hotel and the person booking the hotel operated in the same date format).

Either way, assuming you have confirmation of the date in your email then I'm sure the hotel will sort it out Good luck and keep us updated
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS, HH, UA, IHG
I've had this happen in Feb for a March reservation. Might not have been the property's fault...
Fortunately after being awakened in the middle of the night with a call asking if I was going to show up, the NZ hotel was able to resell the room and give me the same rate for the following month.
and friends ask why we keep going back to New Zealand, this is just one example...
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Interesting. No idea front desk can check future reservations in.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Step through the standard process:

* You arrive at the front desk to check in, you give the FDC your name.
* They type what they think is the proper spelling for your name and a list of hits is presented.
* They select the one they think is you (sometimes without checking dates) and check in that reservation.
* The guest presents a credit card and they either swipe it to replace what was used for the reservation or quickly (if at all) check last four digits to charge the card on file.
* No one looks any further.

I've had something like this happen to me where I had two reservations about a week apart at the same property. When I checked in for the first stay, no apparent issues. Following the stay I was billed for the stay and a no show! Turned out the FDC picked the future stay without saying a thing about being days early. Had to escalate to the FDM to get the no-show reversed and the future reservation reinstated at the rate booked.

Just to show issues are not as rare as one might think: I was travelling with a friend and we both had reservations at a property. I checked in fine, but when they pulled up his reservation, that said a co-worker checked in earlier saying he was not going to be showing up so they cancelled his rez. Turned out they had similar names and the FDC picked the wrong Mr. CoWorker. Fortunately they were able to reinstate the correct reservation and get my friend checked in. Heaven only knows if they cancelled the other person and did not charge a no-show.

Mistakes will happen. How they recover from service failures is the true measure of the property.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Happened to me at a Marriott that I used to stay regularly at, a couple of years ago. I see a credit of about $250 on my bank statement that I do not understand. Apparently, this Marriott gave me a refund for a night I did not stay there.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Interesting. No idea front desk can check future reservations in.
My guess is they changed the date and proceeded from there. viola!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by keeton

I was a no-show at a Hilton (cancelled flight), did not receive points or stay credit. I called the hotel and was promptly issued the credit and appropriate points for the hotel rate.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I was charged and need to check and see if I was given credit--I cannot expense a nite in tampa when Im in North carolina!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.