Hilton special rate for seniors

What age do you qualify for seniors?
Do you need special id?
Are all Hilton use this age ?
Old Jul 29, 17, 10:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
In my experience Hilton usually goes with an AARP rate

In my experience Hilton usually goes with an AARP rate– we've been members for years and never been asked for the card or challenged about our age. We have been using it since before we turned 60.

Most Hiltons have an AARP (or Canadian equivalent rate), and my guess is if you look appreciably over 40 there won't be an issue. I don't know about outside the USA – they may be more sticklers for an age related ID.
Old Jul 29, 17, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Since you'll be required to produce your passport upon checkin, which has ones DOB, the answer here should be obvious

Originally Posted by squeakr View Post

Most Hiltons have an AARP (or Canadian equivalent rate), and my guess is if you look appreciably over 40 there won't be an issue. I don't know about outside the USA – they may be more sticklers for an age related ID.
Old Jul 29, 17, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Anyone can be an AARP member.
Old Jul 30, 17, 2:01 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Even young foreigners can be AARP members ( I'm a member )
Old Jul 30, 17, 4:53 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Spire, AC E50K, AA, AM-Gold, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Do you need special id?
To be eligible for the Seniors rate at Hilton portfolio properties, the age is 65.

One can join AARP at the age of 50. Membership rates for AARP non-USA members is:

Canada/Mexico - $ 17 USD/year
Other countries - $ 28 USD/year

mxm135
Old Jul 30, 17, 6:40 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Srisarin View Post
Since you'll be required to produce your passport upon checkin, which has ones DOB, the answer here should be obvious
What happens to you may not happen to everyone everywhere.

Over several hundred stays I have only been asked for my passport (or ID) on rare occasions, notably in the US.

On the other occasions I have never been asked to prove my age when using a senior rate.
Old Jul 30, 17, 7:17 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Platinum. United Silver. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MXM135 View Post
To be eligible for the Seniors rate at Hilton portfolio properties, the age is 65.

One can join AARP at the age of 50. Membership rates for AARP non-USA members is:

mxm135
in the US there is not a requirement to be 50 to join. My wife signed up as a primary and added me as a second card and We are in our early 40s. We also joined for something like $12 a year by choosing a three year term.
Old Jul 30, 17, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Seniors rate

Originally Posted by kklems View Post
in the US there is not a requirement to be 50 to join. My wife signed up as a primary and added me as a second card and We are in our early 40s. We also joined for something like $12 a year by choosing a three year term.
So you got the seniors rate while in the early 40''s ?
When it should be 65?
Old Jul 30, 17, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Do you need special id?
You may be able to find better rates, see for example the thread on the MVP rate.

Also, providing an ID at check in is often a local legal requirement.

Bob H
Old Jul 30, 17, 8:20 am
cjd

Do you need special id?
From an old guide (2003) to the Seniors Hhonors T & C, it states:

Members must be 60 years of age or older. In the case of married couples,
only one spouse must be 60 years of age or older. Proof of age may be
required upon check-in.

Reading the old guide to the scheme, it looks like it was originally a paid scheme. I would now assume that anyone over 60 can use the Senior rates and the good thing is that they aren't normally pre-paid rates.
Old Jul 30, 17, 8:59 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MXM135 View Post

mxm135
do you have a source claiming 50yrs?
Old Jul 30, 17, 9:32 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
http://www.aarp.org/members/join-aarp-membership/

Originally Posted by jumbooze View Post
do you have a source claiming 50yrs?
If you join it under 50 you get what's called an associate membership. But only one person have a couple needs to be over 50 to join.

There's also confusion hear about joining AARP versus an AARP rate. We've never been asked to show age proof or AARP cards one claiming this rate, but I'm guessing at some very uptight hotels my question you if you look under 40 and produce an AARP rate. No personal experience, but just guessing that it might occasionally happen.
Old Jul 30, 17, 11:23 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Platinum. United Silver. HHonors Diamond
So you got the seniors rate while in the early 40''s ?
When it should be 65?
It would be the Aarp rate not the senior rate. I usually book the AAA rate since it is the same or less as the aarp rate and the app stores my info for AAA. However I would have no problem booking an AARP rate since I am a
Member and have membership card as does my wife. I would not book a "senior" rate since I am not eligible .
Old Jul 30, 17, 1:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
If you join it under 50 you get what's called an associate membership. But only one person have a couple needs to be over 50 to join.

There's also confusion hear about joining AARP versus an AARP rate. We've never been asked to show age proof or AARP cards one claiming this rate, but I'm guessing at some very uptight hotels my question you if you look under 40 and produce an AARP rate. No personal experience, but just guessing that it might occasionally happen.
You're exactly right. Evidently AARP was sued for age discrimination and lost, so they have the associate membership now. And the membership covers a +1.

As for using it... I put the AARP number into the Honors system once and it saved to my account. It does validate something; perhaps not the whole number, but at least the number of digits.
I've never been asked for the card when I've stayed but always have it handy just in case.

The rates are rather good. Similar to the prepaid rates, but you don't need to prepay. Most have a 24 or 48 hour cancel, and yes I'm guilty of making multiple reservations before I decide which to keep. I haven't checked MVP rates for a while, but AARP was similar (less than $5 difference) last I checked.

And OT, but since we're talking about AARP. They do have a nice discount with BA, if you happen to fly them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: