Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton announces HGI brand revamp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond

Via Business Traveler:

Hilton has announced a major refresh of its mid-market Garden Inn brand, aimed at “building on its commitment to anticipating and catering to the evolving needs of today’s modern traveller”.

HGI revamp coming
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
HGI where I'm somewhat of a "regular" recently renovated the dining area; bar is tiny though.
Kitchen, or (breakfast) grill at least, is already as open as it gets. They've had "craft" beer in their shop all along.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:17 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Hope they're going to revamp those properties where staff steal clothes that you leave in your room during the day if they look new.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The only 2 things I've ever seen Judy Greer in were Two and a Half Men and the Big Bang Theory, both where she played a slut. Is that the image they're going for?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If "today's modern traveler" means better beers and a more interesting/social bar/grill area, great.

If "today's modern traveler" means no closets, locker-room-style soap/shampoo, beds that are 6 inches off the ground, and staff that are going overboard trying to be faux-hipster-cool at a random suburban business hotel, then no thanks.

Hopefully this HGI makeover is just a modest touch of the former. I like HGI mostly the way it is right now. Hilton, please don't ruin a good thing.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
What I want out of a mid-tier chain is a clean room that has a place to hang things up and a place to work, a comfortable mattress, and a responsive staff. HGIs tend to have that. As long as they don't screw that up I don't care what they end up doing for this refresh.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL GM
Free marketing advice for Hilton: drop the "Inn" in your brand names.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:58 pm

So just "Hilton Garden"?

I like HGI's. Most seem similar to me with the plaid billowy curtains in the lobby, lots of natural light. I like the adjustable bed but I always stub my toe on the base.

And often after a long day of traveling it's nice to have a restaurant in-house, and the food is not bad. The salmon and pasta are often better than okay, and I like cooked to order eggs in the morning.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What's wrong with "inn"? I don't have a strong opinion about it one way or another, but why would anyone think that's bad?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I like the restaurant as well as a microwave and fridge options.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Here's Hilton's official press release.
I can't find any renderings of the "six new, customizable hotel prototype options" though.
http://news.hiltongardeninn.com/inde...odern-traveler

I hope they don't make too many changes. HGI is by far my husband's preferred chain for business travel, and we use it when traveling on our own dime, too. It's the #1 reason we've switched primarily to Hilton - HGI>Courtyard. The changes in this press release sound like Courtyard.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Yup. The food is consistently OK. They don't try to do too much from the kitchen and it works.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison
I can't find any renderings of the "six new, customizable hotel prototype options" though.

I hope they don't make too many changes. HGI is by far my husband's preferred chain for business travel, and we use it when traveling on our own dime, too. It's the #1 reason we've switched primarily to Hilton - HGI>Courtyard. The changes in this press release sound like Courtyard.
OMG, could they have possibly shoehorned any more marketing cliches and corporate spin into that press release? Seriously, did they have a PR Bot autogenerate that? It's unreadable fluff.

Still holding out hope that this is just a light touch to the lobbies as opposed to trying to make teenagers love HGI. I don't know who Judy Greer is, but from Wikipedia it appears that she's an older actress. I guess that's a good thing.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 30, 2017 at 2:59 am Reason: expletive deleted
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison

I'm really dense, but I can't see what is going to be different? It sounds like they do all those things now?

I avoid Courtyards because of the no free breakfast, I didn't see where they mentioned that in the HGI piece?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm really dense, but I can't see what is going to be different? It sounds like they do all those things now?

I avoid Courtyards because of the no free breakfast, I didn't see where they mentioned that in the HGI piece?
I would assume no change there: you'll still get the cooked-to-order breakfast at HGI. If anything, it's possible that breakfast gets upgraded a bit. I think most HGIs already do a pretty good job with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.