FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza {US-NY} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1856975-millennium-hilton-new-york-one-un-plaza-us-ny.html)

bcosinteno Jul 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza {US-NY}

Figured I would start a thread for the Millennium One UN Plaza, since it is joining the Hilton Portfolio of properties in August of 2017.

Will be nice to have another Hilton property on the East side of Midtown.

The property does have an executive lounge and is just finishing up a remodel.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new...PHH/index.html

Miesque Jul 27, 2017 12:32 pm

So there will be two Millennium Hiltons in New York... I am sure that won't create any confusion.

lixiaojuventus Jul 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 28615804)
So there will be two Millennium Hiltons in New York... I am sure that won't create any confusion.

But there is only one that has a spelling error in its name:o

Miesque Jul 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus (Post 28615949)
But there is only one that has a spelling error in its name:o

LOL - I too bad only us Hilton experts will recognize that :D

They are not even close and its going to take a while for the taxi drivers to ask which Millenium Hilton. For a while those asking the taxi to go to the Millenium Hilton from Penn Station/LGA/JFK will be sent sorely out of their way

Eujeanie Jul 27, 2017 2:24 pm

When you go to the link in Post #1 their own website says they are on WEST 44th street. :rolleyes:

Miesque Jul 27, 2017 3:55 pm

By the way, a friend of mine stayed here back in June and said it was nice, they had a room on the 38th floor with what they said was an amazing view. It was also mentioned that I was right when I mentioned it was a bit of a walk to the subway and a lot of other activities.

Miesque Jul 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 28616256)
When you go to the link in Post #1 their own website says they are on WEST 44th street. :rolleyes:

Just "slightly" off, just the whole width of Manhattan :D

BrlDsguise Jul 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 28616635)
Just "slightly" off, just the whole width of Manhattan :D

Hilton now wants Times Square to encapsulate the UN.

bcosinteno Jul 27, 2017 8:22 pm

It looks like this hotel will soon be accepting reservations for dates from August 31st and beyond.

corporate-wage-slave Sep 7, 2017 5:04 pm

I had a short one night stay last week, 2 days after it went under Hilton management. As I wasn't there long I will only make a few pointers here, but suffice to say I would be very happy to stay here again.

Not to be confused with the "Millennium Hilton New York Downtown", near the World Trade Center, which has its own incorrectly titled thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ton-us-ny.html
Both hotels belong to the same owner, this thread is for the one by the United Nations building and entered into the Hilton brand at the end of August 2017.

Overview: Despite appearances, it's not a big hotel, it has a lobby, restaurant and bar on the ground floor, rooms from 29th floor through to 40th floor inclusive, and the Executive Lounge on the 30th floor. Check-in and out was reasonably fast, staff friendly and welcoming through out

Location: It was handy for my purposes but it is not brilliant for the subway, it's a good 12 - 15 minute walk from Grand Central or 53/Lexington. The latter is on the E line from Jamaica, so it's reasonably convenient for both JFK and LGA. It is right in front of the UN building, there is a reasonable residential area around the hotel, so shops and restaurants close by. Obviously the whole area is crawling with police for the UN building so for anyone a bit nervous about going to New York (which is actually a safe city now) this aspect may allay any concerns.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...922/7mg04W.jpg
[Note, this is a homemade plan, it may not be accurate!]

Rooms: The unique USP is that every room has either a fantastic view or an amazing one! There isn't currently a floor plan on the App or Hilton.com, here is my stab at one, based on the 40th floor (top floor). But you can't really go wrong here, there is something to look at. In my case it was of lower East River towards Brooklyn Bridge, but I could see down to Battery Park and New Jersey. Other rooms either look northwards towards Roosevelt Island, or mid town.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...924/L3Dent.jpg

My room was clean, a reasonable size though not generous, with a first rate and spacious bathroom. I selected this at the last moment via the App, no upgrade offered, sought or desired. The A/C was very noisy, and there was a slight hum from some machinery on the roof, but the weather was fairly mild while I was there so it wasn't an issue. The room carpet was slightly frayed and the room seems to have been renovated a year or two back, but overall I was happy with the room and its great view.

Executive Lounge: Open 06:30 to 20:00 hrs. Drinks and hot snacks from 17:30 hrs to 20:00 hrs - cheese, sushi, vegetable rolls territory.

Breakfast: As a Diamond I get a "continental breakfast" for free in Hiltons and here I was unexpectedly impressed! A good range of items to choose from including cereals, fresh and cut fruit, toast, bagels, Danish, viennoiseries, plus two items: scrambled eggs and frittata. The staff refreshed the items rapidly too. Coffee and tea is self serve. This is all in the Executive lounge, there is no arrangement in the restaurant for Diamonds, but I certainly wasn't bothered by that.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...923/0rcwUz.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...923/w1qR8y.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...923/tXH9V6.jpg

beachfan Sep 8, 2017 3:13 pm

Wow, this is great news for me. This hotel used to be a Hyatt MANY years ago when I first started traveling.

i remember the views, I think I could see 5 bridges (counting the Kosciuczko and Goethal's bridges).

While it is a schlep to the subway, it is the safest neighborhood in NYC and better located than the Conrad.

flyme2 Nov 21, 2017 7:20 am

Fond Memories

I've been visiting NYC since I was 16, 45 years ago. During that timeframe, I, as a single traveler, and in the past 36 years, with my late wife, have stayed at 30 different Manhattan properties, ranging from the Yotel to the Mandarin Oriental. The Hilton Millennium at One UN Plaza is always a safe bet when you want consistency in both the quality of accommodation, service and access to a halfway decent Executive Lounge, not a small feat in Manhattan. We first stayed here on the 80,'s, when it was owned by the city of New York and managed by Hyatt. I still have photos of my wife and I lounging by the 'pool in the sky' on the 27'th floor (now inexplicably closed). In those days, the Ambassador Grill was a really great dining venue, with arguably the best Sunday brunch in town. Today, unfortunately, it is a shadow of its former self. Apart from these two negative points, this property suits my needs perfectly. All rooms are fairly large, nicely furnished and offer fantastic views either over the East River or the Chrysler Building. Staying at other Manhattan properties can be a real crapshoot as your experience will so often be determined by the room you are assigned, and that can vary immensely in so many NYC hotels, especially the older ones. I'm 61, and can easily walk to The Capital Grille on 42'nd, near Grand Central, in 12 minutes. Other dining options are plentiful on either 2'nd or 3'td Avenues that encompass all budgets. The neighborhood is quiet, which is important when one wants to avoid the constant blaring horns and frequent sirens that seem to be heard at all hours. I really see no downside to staying here, especially if you hold HH status. It has always proven to be a reliable choice, at least in my experience.

OhDoctor Nov 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyme2 (Post 29084890)
I've been visiting NYC since I was 16, 45 years ago. During that timeframe, I, as a single traveler, and in the past 36 years, with my late wife, have stayed at 30 different Manhattan properties, ranging from the Yotel to the Mandarin Oriental. The Hilton Millennium at One UN Plaza is always a safe bet when you want consistency in both the quality of accommodation, service and access to a halfway decent Executive Lounge, not a small feat in Manhattan. We first stayed here on the 80,'s, when it was owned by the city of New York and managed by Hyatt. I still have photos of my wife and I lounging by the 'pool in the sky' on the 27'th floor (now inexplicably closed). In those days, the Ambassador Grill was a really great dining venue, with arguably the best Sunday brunch in town. Today, unfortunately, it is a shadow of its former self. Apart from these two negative points, this property suits my needs perfectly. All rooms are fairly large, nicely furnished and offer fantastic views either over the East River or the Chrysler Building. Staying at other Manhattan properties can be a real crapshoot as your experience will so often be determined by the room you are assigned, and that can vary immensely in so many NYC hotels, especially the older ones. I'm 61, and can easily walk to The Capital Grille on 42'nd, near Grand Central, in 12 minutes. Other dining options are plentiful on either 2'nd or 3'td Avenues that encompass all budgets. The neighborhood is quiet, which is important when one wants to avoid the constant blaring horns and frequent sirens that seem to be heard at all hours. I really see no downside to staying here, especially if you hold HH status. It has always proven to be a reliable choice, at least in my experience.

Thanks for this great summary and historic perspective. Very sorry about your wife.

ptownca Jan 1, 2018 10:29 pm

Just a short note to say, I booked two rooms for my wife and her sister here on points for three nights between Christmas and New Years at a reasonable 50k per night per room. They were very very pleased with the stay. They were both upgraded to high floors with corner views, which were spectacular. They loved the lounge and the breakfast and evening options were above average for a Hilton. Getting this level of hotel during peak season was a bonus, but I did book them in early fall.

flyupfrnt Jan 31, 2018 12:08 am

Just booked a one night reward stay for a Saturday a few weeks from now. Looking forward to it. Thanks, to Corp Wage Slave for the layout of rooms.