Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Why am I have hard time letting go of my AMEX Hilton Surpass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why am I have hard time letting go of my AMEX Hilton Surpass

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
They have not waived the actual fee. They give me a credit in the same amount. Classify it as customer appreciation or something.

I have a $50k line on the card, don't care a balance and run TON through it, so I guess they value that for a $75 trade
Well the reason is the value of the points. For many years at The Arizona Biltmore or Grand Wailea I have been able to get good redemptions from knowing or reaching out to the GM.
Now the redemption value is so bad that it is making it hard to stay.. CSR is pretty awesome as a replacement
From what I understand from your comments the better value is still in the Surpass IMHO with all the spending at HH in spite of the devaluations, even more so since you are not having to pay the AF for the card. But based on what you wrote from your spending habits, you may have more HH points banked then you will ever use for good value?

What do you want to collect more of going forward - HH points or UR points? That seems to be the answer you are looking for and only you know this answer based on what you care to use the points for.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Free weekend night on $10k spend is benefit on the soon-to-be-gone Citi Hilton Reserve credit card. Is this a new benefit for Surpass in 2018? I just got a Surpass yesterday on the 100k point offer, but that only promised a free night on renewal a year from now. (No mention of the free night being an annual recurring benefit.)

All my Hilton stays are overseas. If Amex doesn't end the forex fees, that new shiny new Surpass card is going into my sock drawer after meeting the minimum spend on the sign-up bonus. 12x point earnings aren't particularly good with a 2.7% forex charge tacked-on.
I have yet to hear what the 2018 product will be. I think a lot of us are hoping for the best aspects of both of the existing cards today, but that may be wishful thinking.

If the $10k free night is dropped, then I'm most likely to carry the base version of the HH Amex. It'll depend on whether I want to chase Diamond status via spend.

Every year, Diamond seems like it's worth less and less. Running $40k through this card gets more expensive as HH points are devalued vs. the other best-possible places to spend $40k.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
HAving just come back from Koh Samui and the Maldives, I can't imagine doing that trip without HH Gold/Diamond. For $75 it's a no brainer.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Just was approved for this card. Why does this portfolio still have a foreign transaction fee? I like the bonus points offer and will certainly try for the credit on the annual fee,but we stay mostly in international Hilton's so we wouldn't use it there..all the other banks have dropped the foreign transaction fee, so anyone have a theory about why not..

The previous poster mentioned using it at Maldives and koi samui..interested to hear your thoughts given the extra cost to use overseas. Was the value getting diamond benefits..we already have that ..so just trying to figure out strategy

Also, any limitations on the free weekend night stay..location .how you book,.price and how long do you have to use it..just thinking ahead. We had a big redemption year of 15 nights in various places so the kitty is being built up again..
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:33 am

Oh that part has been easy. Call in each year, ask them to look at my account and the fact they have done it the last several years and to review my spend which is high. Has really not been any issue at all getting $75 credit

Thank you for this. I guess it just takes a little gumption. I will start to do this with the Amex Hilton Ascend next year. Interesting article here:

http://travelinpoints.com/upcoming-a...s-probably-it/
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mnredfox
HAving just come back from Koh Samui and the Maldives, I can't imagine doing that trip without HH Gold/Diamond. For $75 it's a no brainer.
Yes but I have Lifetime Diamond and the CSR does not have foreign transaction fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.