Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How much do you appreciate a welcome gift/ amenity...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much do you appreciate a welcome gift/ amenity...?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm with you. More space and dual vanities conquers all.
As someone who often travles alone I would take gift over space everytime ( at least the carepackages with wine and nuts or choclates).
It must be impossible to please all
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I can probably count on one hand the number of times I received a special gift at any Hilton property due to status. I was diamond for several years and was sometimes lucky to get a room that wasn't a broom closet
I did get a bottle of wine in Europe once or twice. Never anything special in Asia. I think some fruit here/there...I think something at the Hilton Waikoloa Village.
I remember when checking in at the Hampton Inn in Flagstaff, AZ, they had a little board welcoming people...and I saw my name on it. That cost them next to nothing (just time to do it really) and yet it is something I still remember.

As part of my job I help put on work events. When I stay at properties for that, I often get upgraded to suites, get a bottle of wine, basket of food, tray of cheese, fruit, etc. The sad thing is that quite often this is delivered to my room after I leave to work the event, so I see it much later that night, after having eaten dinner and being worn out. I rarely even touch it.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Just came back from 4 different hotels, in 3 of them I am a very regular guest. In only 1 out of 4 I got something... a postcard in the room with my name on it saying 'with compliments' for being a loyal guest... Nice that the postcard was 'complimentary' indeed :-))

Last month in Istanbul we experienced the opposite:
During check-in the agent insisted on getting us a glass of wine, she gave us 2 nicely packed local welcome gifts and she also gave us a voucher for a complimentary afternoon tea in the lobby bar for 2 and a voucher for 2 drinks in their skybar on the 35th floor. Later that night she also sent me an email asking if we liked the suite upgrade. During checkout 4 days later she insisted again on getting us a 'goodbye drink' but we had a flight to catch...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I miss that frequently delivered small bottle of red wine, the fruit plate along with the hand written welcome card that must have been standard several years ago at some Hilton hotels.
Of course, a nice room is worth much more than that but for me it is the gesture that counts, too.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:42 am

Can't even remember the last time I got a welcome gift. Most of my stays are US based but last summer - nothing in 7 UK hotels. This past Saturday the DoubleTree Orlando UCF gave me the gift of a room next to both the elevator and the ice machine..
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like it but I very rarely see it. In fact the last time I got anything from Hilton that I can recall was at the Hilton Budapest City in 2014 and I was only Gold then.

It would be the kind of thing I'd mention in my TA review and would enjoy, it just doesn't seem to happen to me.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by kb9522
It's nice when I'm on personal travel. When I'm working, it's very inconsequential... sometimes I don't even notice until I'm getting ready to check out. A good room is far more important to me.
Me too, don't even see it most of the time.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jumbooze
As someone who often travles alone I would take gift over space everytime ( at least the carepackages with wine and nuts or choclates).
It must be impossible to please all
Some hotels give them all in my experience? ^
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
Some hotels give them all in my experience? ^
you mean theyre all nuts or just that you can get all I mentioned at a location? ( sorry not following)
I
in my "goto" hilton in the UK I get wine,water ( sparkling and still) and sweets and nuts

uk or asia has been best for this in us of a I have had nothing, the only time I got something there it was part of service recovery
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jumbooze
you mean theyre all nuts or just that you can get all I mentioned at a location? ( sorry not following)
I
in my "goto" hilton in the UK I get wine,water ( sparkling and still) and sweets and nuts

uk or asia has been best for this in us of a I have had nothing, the only time I got something there it was part of service recovery
Yeah I meant some hotels will give space, amenities and the bears. Primarily ones in Asia.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
It's a nice touch, but I much prefer an upgrade.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Given how rare it is I do appreciate it. Hand written notes are huge, nice snacks are nice as well.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by chrism20
When we used to get the jars of beans and nuts in the rooms in the UK I mentioned that I really like the jelly beans at checkout. On the next stay a few weeks later there was a gift bag in the room with a dozen jars of them in it.

Nowadays you don't seem to get much although when there is something there its a nice little surprise.
While I do appreciate the welcome gifts I prefer them to be already in the room. I had a delivery once when I'd just got in the room hadn't put the do not disturb on the door and was on the toilet when the unfortunate employee delivered a very nice welcome amenity of chocolates fruits and a bottle of wine
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
While I do appreciate the welcome gifts I prefer them to be already in the room. I had a delivery once when I'd just got in the room hadn't put the do not disturb on the door and was on the toilet when the unfortunate employee delivered a very nice welcome amenity of chocolates fruits and a bottle of wine
Everybody got a treat
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Europe Hiltons

I really appreciate welcome gifts too, even though any alcohloic liquids over 100ml are no good as I don't drink on work travels and obviously won't male airport security.

on my recent stays in Europe I had Welcome Gifts at these: Vienna Plaza, Tallinn Park, Düsseldorf (1 on 3 stays), Munich Park, London Bankside, London Park Lane, (DT) London Greenwich, Vilamoura, (Conrad) Algarve, (Curio) Hamburg Reichshof, (DT) Zagreb, Bucharest, Cologne (good exercise to try and remember where one has been!).

I think I had none in Vienna Danube, Birmingham Metropole, London Wembley, London Heathrow T4, (DT) London Kensington, Waldorf London.

So overall Welcome Gifts seem pretty standard for locations I frequent, and I appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.