Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Tipping question at an HGI for free breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL -DM / 2MM, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum

This may seem like a dumb question, but when I get a free breakfast coupon for being a diamond at an HGI, how much of a tip is expected?
The real cost for the breakfast is $15.

I typically just fix my own plate and beverage and never even use the server for anything.

Is a buck okay, or should I be tipping 15% on what the total cost would be?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I try to figure out what the cash cost of the meal is and leave a standard 20% tip. Maybe a bit less if it's a buffet, but $2-3 seems reasonable.

Sort of same thing as an airport lounge where the drinks are included.

You can way over-complicate the analysis, but in the end, you are getting a breakfast for $3.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
It depends for me. Did they actually do something? Did they "serve" me? If so, I leave a few dollars. If they slapped a plate on the table and called it a day, then I give no tip.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by trlaura
This may seem like a dumb question, but when I get a free breakfast coupon for being a diamond at an HGI, how much of a tip is expected?
The real cost for the breakfast is $15.

I typically just fix my own plate and beverage and never even use the server for anything.

Is a buck okay, or should I be tipping 15% on what the total cost would be?
The server is still going to make sure your table is prepared and clean, and to take your plates away. Tips are sometimes pooled with those preparing the food as well.

It's a buffet...$2 would be fine. Some tip more, some tip less, some don't tip at all.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME the overwhelming majority of people do not tip for hotel buffet breakfasts, especially in limited service or extended stay properties. Nor do the majority of people tip for lounge breakfasts.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
What does the coupon say? Some say that gratuity is included, others say that it is not included. If it says the latter (or nothing), a couple of bucks is in order for a pleasant morning smile.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL -DM / 2MM, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
The server is still going to make sure your table is prepared and clean, and to take your plates away. Tips are sometimes pooled with those preparing the food as well.

It's a buffet...$2 would be fine. Some tip more, some tip less, some don't tip at all.
Yeah, that makes sense. Even though I 100% serve myself, I am sitting at a prepared table and at the HGI I don't clear my dishes. 2 bucks it is!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME the overwhelming majority of people do not tip for hotel buffet breakfasts, especially in limited service or extended stay properties. Nor do the majority of people tip for lounge breakfasts.
IME - Most people do tip in exactly these sorts of places.

I suppose that if you set your table, bus it at the end and then clean it so that it is ready for the next customer, perhaps not.

Almost all of these places pool tips so you can easily overthink this stuff.

If it's going to cause you to have your mortgage foreclosed, skip it. Otherwise, walk a few feet in the other guy's shoes.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
For HGI breakfasts I always leave $4 or $5 with my voucher as its a restaurant environment and salary structure which is different from a lounge (where I rarely tip)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Often1
IME - Most people do tip in exactly these sorts of places.

I suppose that if you set your table, bus it at the end and then clean it so that it is ready for the next customer, perhaps not.

Almost all of these places pool tips so you can easily overthink this stuff.

If it's going to cause you to have your mortgage foreclosed, skip it. Otherwise, walk a few feet in the other guy's shoes.
It depends where the property is, IME. I rarely see tips at left at the average road trip HGI by the interstate. At more business oriented property in cities I would expect to see more tipping.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
It depends for me. Did they actually do something? Did they "serve" me? If so, I leave a few dollars. If they slapped a plate on the table and called it a day, then I give no tip.
We're starting to feel this way after our experience at an HGI in NY. We received no service - we got our own food and coffee and noticed that the servers didn't clean the tables until new guests arrived. Mostly they stood around watching the TV.

We planned to leave a dollar or two but forgot to bring cash the first day so we planned to leave extra the next day. The server made a point of telling us we had to sign the bill even with a voucher and I swear he was pointing to the tip line when showed us where to sign. So we did as asked and left. The server followed us to the lobby and asked us if there was a problem "with the service"? We were shocked speechless so he repeated it. My husband told him something and we turned away.

Unfortunately for the server DH had an appt with the manager to discuss some maintenance issues we had with the room so he brought this up also. The manager comped us for one night. And we didn't leave any tip at all the next day.

Also - for those who mention them cleaning and preparing the tables - I realize the minimum wage is less for wait staff because of tipping but it isn't like they are paid nothing. They do receive a base hourly rate. We still plan to tip in the future but not for people who just stand around, doing as little as possible.

Last edited by MellieAZ; Jul 19, 2017 at 8:58 am Reason: added the last paragraph
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I can't recall the last time I had to sign for a zero balance tab; the name and room number are on the HGI voucher! I think he may have indeed been angling for a tip. Usually, in these circumstances I leave a $2 tip as I haven't paid anything out of pocket in the first place
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Over the years I have stayed at few HGIs with bad morning waiter service and that usually makes enough of an impression on my that I it has made me less likely to stay there again. Might seem like a petty point its one of the few staff interactions you have.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trlaura
Yeah, that makes sense. Even though I 100% serve myself, I am sitting at a prepared table and at the HGI I don't clear my dishes. 2 bucks it is!
I think people forget that the server is still actually paid to work there in the first place. If I've served myself I won't bother tipping, if I've ordered something then I'll generally tip.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:18 am
jrx
Hilton Contributor Badge

My policy is to tip nothing if I have to order and retrieve my own hot food items, and there is any sort of issue with dirty tables or missing silverware.

If I have to order my own food but the server brings it when it is ready, I will tip $1.

If the server greets me, takes my order, and brings the food, I will tip $2. If they are especially attentive in asking how things are, clearing my plates, and volunteering to bring drink refills, then I will tip in excess of $2. I do appreciate good service.

Recent data points; HGI Des Moines, IA North - ho hum service, had to ask for water, order and pick up my own food. HGI Sioux City, SD South - good service, ordered my own food but it was delivered to the table and the server was attentive. HGI Billings, MY - excellent service, with the server taking the order and bringing food and beverage to the table. HGI Perrysville, OH - excellent service. HGI Wallingford/Meriden, CT - awful service with dirty tables and delays getting food. HGI Shelton, CT - excellent service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.