Hotel throws out all my clothes

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 1, 17, 4:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: davie355
Wiki Link
Thread summary:

• A housekeeper at the Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder (New Mexico) mistook OP's clothing for trash
  • OP previously spent hundreds of nights at this property; nonetheless, the manager's initial offer was to refund only a single night ($91)
  • After much back-and-forth initiated by OP, the manager's final offer was to refund three nights
  • Hilton Corporate sent OP an additional $125 check and two unrestricted free nights anywhere, at any price
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 17, 17, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Hotel throws out all my clothes

Diamond member, over 300 nights in a Hilton hotel in last year.

Three night stay at a Hilton resort property . . . booked on two separate, back to back reservations, one for one night, the other for two nights.

Confirmed at check-in that my reservations were linked, clerk issued key that would be valid the entire 3 night stay.

Returned to hotel after work, on the second day. Key worked. Room empty. Not one item left. Fortunately, I had packed my laptop, phone charger in my bag, so it was all my clothes that were gone.

Talked to front desk, and the operations manager at this Hilton. They promised to look for my clothes.

Result: Nothing. It was a new "house man", manager says, who went too quickly emptying trash in rooms, following the housekeeper. He admits he tossed all my clothes (which were in Hilton laundry bags on a table).

Manager offered to comp one night of the three, but would not reimburse for clothing because he said that required him going through Corporate (Tennessee? he said). He said hotels do not have "petty cash" drawers to pay out for guests' missing items.

What is reasonable expectation here for a guest? (me)
Old Jul 17, 17, 11:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Reasonable expectation? They replace your clothes. The items aren't missing, they threw them out. Talk to the GM.

Neil
Old Jul 17, 17, 12:44 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I have to ask, why was every single item of clothing in a Hilton Laundry bag?

Was anything else in the room to show it was occupied? Personal toiletries, for example
Old Jul 17, 17, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would guess the computer told housekeeping the room should have been empty after the first night as it was a 1 night reservation. If you had gone to the front desk in the morning after the first night , checked out and immediately back in it probably would not have happened as now the housekeeping computer would show it as occupied. Linking the reservations does not preclude you from needing to do this. As you didn't check out and back in again right away, once checkout time arrives housekeeping assumed the room would have been checked out of and when they went to clean it for a new arrival they took everything out. Just my guess. I have done back to back reservations before and have always gone to the front desk in the morning when the first reservation ends, checked out and right back in again into the same room. I would guess all the linking did was tell them don't assign the room to anyone else after the first reservation ends.
Old Jul 17, 17, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
What is reasonable expectation here for a guest? (me)
Full reimbursement for the value of the clothes. That is their legal obligation. Throwing away your clothes was conversion and trespass to chattels.
Old Jul 17, 17, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Baze View Post
I would guess the computer told housekeeping the room should have been empty after the first night as it was a 1 night reservation. If you had gone to the front desk in the morning after the first night , checked out and immediately back in it probably would not have happened as now the housekeeping computer would show it as occupied. Linking the reservations does not preclude you from needing to do this. As you didn't check out and back in again right away, once checkout time arrives housekeeping assumed the room would have been checked out of and when they went to clean it for a new arrival they took everything out. Just my guess. I have done back to back reservations before and have always gone to the front desk in the morning when the first reservation ends, checked out and right back in again into the same room. I would guess all the linking did was tell them don't assign the room to anyone else after the first reservation ends.
I'm sorry but are you trying to say telling the staff that you have two reservations, and them linking them and giving you a key for the entire stay isn't enough and it's still OPs fault for not understanding Hilton is staffed by people without reading comprehension?

No, it isn't. He should be paid back in full and then some.
Old Jul 17, 17, 1:25 pm

Programs: JMB Crystal; Delta Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
The manager's response was absurd. I imagine the value of the clothes is more than what would be allowed under "petty cash" anyway. Assuming what he said is true, what is his aversion to contacting corporate to rectify the situation? Does this happen often?

You are entitled to full reimbursement.
Old Jul 17, 17, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theddo View Post
I'm sorry but are you trying to say telling the staff that you have two reservations, and them linking them and giving you a key for the entire stay isn't enough and it's still OPs fault for not understanding Hilton is staffed by people without reading comprehension?

I did not address compensation at all in my post and you should not read into it what is not there. Of course they should either be compensated or get their clothes back.

If OP was not checked into the second reservation, which you can't until that day or day before on the app/web. Then how would housekeeping know the room was to be occupied by the same person. And even if checked in on the app/web it may not click that it is the same name and housekeeping may just think the new person was coming and they better clean the room for new guest. Going down to the front desk in the morning probably would have alleviated the whole situation. As far as housekeeping probably knew, someone was checking out and someone was going to check in.
Old Jul 17, 17, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I would have taken the clothes off of the back of the hotel clerk. You should be comped the entire stay and given a reasonable sum for your clothes. Just threaten to take your 300 nights somewhere else... and do that direct to corporate!
Old Jul 17, 17, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by theddo View Post

+1.

It is almost ridiculous to even try to blame the OP here.

Agreeing with the rest that OP should receive full compensation, and some extra for inconvenience without his/her other clothings. I am sure the hotel will be able to do something at their level.

That said, weigh the cost of 1-night vs the loss of clothings. If 1-night does not add up, then 2-nights or 3-nights comped?

Or will OP also be willing to consider additional HH courtesy points, if this option is available at the hotel level? Or OP can stick to cash compensation (and if the hotel insist they must invoke Corporate, then OP must weigh the hassle of chasing it after he leaves the hotel).
Old Jul 17, 17, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The management of this hotel sounds like they are really bad news!

Not long ago I stayed at the Crowne Plaza, where I came home the second day to find that all of my belongings were missing. In a panic, I assumed that a thief had broken-in and reported the issue to management, who took it incredibly seriously. All of my belongings were located in a large bag in the housekeeping area where the housekeeper who had mistakenly assumed I was a Check-out had left them. They ended up sending up a bottle of champagne and a huge fruit and cheese plate, as well as comping me the night's stay.
Old Jul 17, 17, 3:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ZenWorld View Post
Or will OP also be willing to consider additional HH courtesy points, if this option is available at the hotel level? Or OP can stick to cash compensation (and if the hotel insist they must invoke Corporate, then OP must weigh the hassle of chasing it after he leaves the hotel).
You can't buy clothes with Honors points. Get cash for the clothes. Escalate to the GM.

Neil
Old Jul 17, 17, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
So... at this property, if I were to forget something in my room upon checkout, they would immediately file it in the dumpster?

What property is this?
Old Jul 17, 17, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Reasonable expectation? They replace your clothes. The items aren't missing, they threw them out. Talk to the GM.

Neil

Hiya Neil (Neil also here, but go by QuesoDeCan)-

Talk to the GM ....tweet, snapchat....etc....make sure that CORPORATE hears about this!
Old Jul 17, 17, 5:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I'd suggest the OP go buy a set of replacement clothing. And replacement of anything else (toiletry, bag, etc.) Then ask corporate (cc. GM) for full reimbursement, indicating the GM's original response.

We all agree the OP should be compensated fully missing items. For Hilton to have a basis to work with, the receipt of the replacement clothing/items, gives them something to work with.

Corporate should want to compensate the OP, a diamond member with 300+ nights, and with full apology. If possible, the OP can find the frontdesk staff's name(s) where he was told his reservations were linked, and the same key would work for all 3 nights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: