Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Thread summary:

• A housekeeper at the Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder (New Mexico) mistook OP's clothing for trash
  • OP previously spent hundreds of nights at this property; nonetheless, the manager's initial offer was to refund only a single night ($91)
  • After much back-and-forth initiated by OP, the manager's final offer was to refund three nights
  • Hilton Corporate sent OP an additional $125 check and two unrestricted free nights anywhere, at any price
Print Wikipost

Hotel throws out all my clothes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
I realize that this has been essentially resolved. However, I still thought it might be beneficial to someone else for me to share my experience. Several years ago, at the Sheraton Dallas, I was in the midst of a stay where I had declined housekeeping and didn't expect anyone to enter (yes, I had the Green Choice tag on the door). I was trying to reorganize all of my possessions while on an extended trip (not all in Dallas), and temporarily put a number of things, including my Garmin watch and about a dozen pieces of costume jewelry, into a paper Whole Foods grocery bag, left on top of the coffee table in the suite. Came back to find the bag gone, and I immediately contacted the front desk. I couldn't imagine it would have been stolen, as I had many *actual* valuables still in the room, but I knew I had left it in the room and it was now gone.

It took a long time for them to check out the security tapes and uncover what had happened, but it seemed that housekeeping had inexplicably come and thrown out the bag thinking it was trash. The hotel was incredibly gracious and asked me to write up an inventory of what I had lost and the approximate value, then issued me a check for everything - around $700. Although it took a while to resolve, I was very happy with how they handled the incident.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
A big problem I can see in the future for the OP is they say they stay there A LOT. Something like this could cause the hotel to have bad blood towards the OP, through no fault of the OP, and make any future stays even more uncomfortable.
Originally Posted by Amicus
Here is a very strange twist to this thread.

Just now, looked at this property's reviews on another very well-known travel site/forum.

Four days ago, somebody posted a nearly identical "review" of this Hilton on that site. This is definitely NOT me. Yet, the incident he describes is virtually the same.

I'm thinking this guy read this thread and then copied my post. NO WAY could this have happened twice at this property . . . it's way too coincidental.

Anyone ever have their posts "plagiarized"?

Am I allowed to mention that other travel site here? Look at that review . . ..
Once I establish the relationship, I tend to be more tolerant of the hotels that is my "home away from home" but also expect problems to be handled much better. While the mistake is understandable given the circumstance, the hotel certainly screwed up handling the problem.

I think OP disclosed the name of the property out of frustration a few posts into the thread. If OP did not, I am sure there will be people here giving him a hard time for not disclosing.

In my book, if it is something very specific and you want to stay at the hotel in the future, it is better to not name the property (and not write about it on review sites).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
Once I establish the relationship, I tend to be more tolerant of the hotels that is my "home away from home" but also expect problems to be handled much better. While the mistake is understandable given the circumstance, the hotel certainly screwed up handling the problem.

I think OP disclosed the name of the property out of frustration a few posts into the thread. If OP did not, I am sure there will be people here giving him a hard time for not disclosing.

In my book, if it is something very specific and you want to stay at the hotel in the future, it is better to not name the property (and not write about it on review sites).
I agree completely with all of the above.
Lots of little events arose in the course of my 300+ nights at this property last year . . . no hot water, sometimes no water at all, clogged shower, fire alarms going off multiple nights in a row, and so on.
I overlooked all of this, because it was my home away from home.
So, realizing that management knew I never complained made this incident with my clothes all that more bothersome to me.
Fortunately, there are other Hilton choices in Santa Fe.
DiverDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.