Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:27 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by craig44485
This place is leaps and bounds better than the Conrad.
Obviously, yes, if money is not an issue. But the price at WA is 2x more than Conrad so if you consider value for what you get, as a Diamond I have a hard time pulling the trigger for WA as much as I would like to try, given all the reports here.
JJeffrey, IndyHoosier and tomwhom like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by shocky
Btw the view from the best room they were willing to give a diamond member in case anyone is interested.. (again no upgrade though website showing every room type available)
Thanks. Do you have a photo that also shows the view with the interior (eg. windows)?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Disappointing to hear all the negative reviews, particularly an apparent lack of HH Diamond treatment. I’m Diamond (need to update my profile on FT), but I have WA Bangkok booked for this summer.

I’ve stayed at Park Hyatt Bangkok, and while it was a gorgeous property, I wanted to give WA a try. For those of you who have stayed at PH and WA- any comments?

I’ve also stayed at the old Four Seasons (now Anantara Siam), and at the time was quite pleased. While not the newest property on the block, I loved the “resort” feel, stunning lobby/outdoor courtyard spaces and authentic feel.
Many people are a bit down on the park hyatt but its easily my favorite hotel in BKK and I have tried the Waldorf. The St Regis would be number 2 for me, then probably the waldorf..
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by escape4
Obviously, yes, if money is not an issue. But the price at WA is 2x more than Conrad so if you consider value for what you get, as a Diamond I have a hard time pulling the trigger for WA as much as I would like to try, given all the reports here.
Exactly, I don't think anyone will argue the hard product at the WA beats the Conrad hands down (will be interesting to see how the Conrad compares post renovations). But for twice the price, with no lounge and reportedly limited elite recognition...Conrad it is.
more4less, IndyHoosier and tomwhom like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for", after 2 nights at the Conrad it was enough for me, the rooms themselves would barely rate 3 stars, lounge was nice, staff was great. FWIW, I would rank the Hilton Sukhumvit and the Hilton Millenium above the Conrad, and the price difference is not all that much.
NoY likes this.

Last edited by craig44485; Jan 12, 2019 at 9:31 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by gav0106
Trouble is, the rates at WA are much much higher than any other. Would you say the high rate is still worth it?
For me yes, and that goes for my wife and elderly parents also. We stayed at each for 2 nights, The Conrad, Hilton Sukhumvit, Hilton Millennium, and the WA. We all ranked the Conrad last in our poll. 1 WA, 2 Hilton Millennium, 3 Hilton Sukumvit, 4 Conrad.
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Originally Posted by Troopers
Thanks. Do you have a photo that also shows the view with the interior (eg. windows)?
I don't unfortunately, the view is what you see from the room entrance/the bed/desk/shower
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by craig44485
For me yes, and that goes for my wife and elderly parents also. We stayed at each for 2 nights, The Conrad, Hilton Sukhumvit, Hilton Millennium, and the WA. We all ranked the Conrad last in our poll. 1 WA, 2 Hilton Millennium, 3 Hilton Sukumvit, 4 Conrad.
I have stayed countless times at Millenium Hilton. I can often get the panoramic suite overlooking the river (guaranteed Diamond upgrade at time of booking for 1k THB) 80+ square meters, 1.5 bath, lounge access, all that for less than 4k THB for some dates. At WA you would pay twice as much for the basic room, maybe no suite upgrade (and if you do, it's smaller than MH with lesser views), and no lounge. In return you get a far superior hard product at WA - in a completely different league. I think it all depends what you value but for me if I consider what you get for the money, Millenium Hilton beats WA although I have not seen WA myself (just relying on reports here) so my opinion is not rock solid.

For the rest of your rankings for value, I agree that MH > Hilton Suk > Conrad.
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I have stayed countless times at Millenium Hilton. I can often get the panoramic suite overlooking the river (guaranteed Diamond upgrade at time of booking for 1k THB) 80+ square meters, 1.5 bath, lounge access, all that for less than 4k THB for some dates. At WA you would pay twice as much for the basic room, maybe no suite upgrade (and if you do, it's smaller than MH with lesser views), and no lounge. In return you get a far superior hard product at WA - in a completely different league. I think it all depends what you value but for me if I consider what you get for the money, Millenium Hilton beats WA although I have not seen WA myself (just relying on reports here) so my opinion is not rock solid.

For the rest of your rankings for value, I agree that MH > Hilton Suk > Conrad.
For many though the south of the river location in suboptimal. For my needs in town even the other side of the river is a pain, so there is a certain amount of location pricing too. The Millennium Hilton can be great value but the travel pain is too great for it to be where many will want to base themselves. Whereas Rajadamri is a great and quite central location for both Business and key shopping/entertainment districts.

Whilst I really quite dislike the IC Bangkok it tends to be my go to place given the relatively good value suites plus recognition package as a RA. The WA and St Regis come next for me followed by the SGS.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Can't comment on the WA, yet, but Conrad beats the other HL options - hands down.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
For many though the south of the river location in suboptimal. For my needs in town even the other side of the river is a pain, so there is a certain amount of location pricing too. The Millennium Hilton can be great value but the travel pain is too great for it to be where many will want to base themselves. Whereas Rajadamri is a great and quite central location for both Business and key shopping/entertainment districts.

Whilst I really quite dislike the IC Bangkok it tends to be my go to place given the relatively good value suites plus recognition package as a RA. The WA and St Regis come next for me followed by the SGS.
Correct, Bangkok is a city where I am quite location agnostic unlike some other destinations, so the location pricing of Millenium Hilton works in my favor and that is not for everyone (same for Marriott Surawong). WA's location will work better for many folks especially if you are not there on vacation to enjoy river views.

IC is your go-to place despite the fact that you dislike it, several people have some concerns about WA, St.Regis is ok but not great, Park Hyatt is not loved.... bottom line I think a lot of us are still in search of a great hotel in Bangkok that level of luxury and WA is not the answer at this time. A step below I find good value in properties like Millenium Hilton, SGS, Athenee, Grand Hyatt, Meridien, and a couple of Marriotts. I think we'll have to add Hyatt Regency to that list but I need to try it first. However the issue is if you want more upscale, I am still in search for answers - I was hopeful WA could be it, but unfortunately it does not seem to be. If they had better Diamond treatment for room upgrades and if they had happy hour it would go a long way.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Correct, Bangkok is a city where I am quite location agnostic unlike some other destinations, so the location pricing of Millenium Hilton works in my favor and that is not for everyone (same for Marriott Surawong). WA's location will work better for many folks especially if you are not there on vacation to enjoy river views.

IC is your go-to place despite the fact that you dislike it, several people have some concerns about WA, St.Regis is ok but not great, Park Hyatt is not loved.... bottom line I think a lot of us are still in search of a great hotel in Bangkok that level of luxury and WA is not the answer at this time. A step below I find good value in properties like Millenium Hilton, SGS, Athenee, Grand Hyatt, Meridien, and a couple of Marriotts. I think we'll have to add Hyatt Regency to that list but I need to try it first. However the issue is if you want more upscale, I am still in search for answers - I was hopeful WA could be it, but unfortunately it does not seem to be. If they had better Diamond treatment for room upgrades and if they had happy hour it would go a long way.
Not tried the PH but Hyatt isn't really generally part of the option set I would consider.

For me the IC is a trade off between somewhat tired offering vs. a decent club, good location and cheapest guaranteed suite. I would love to be able to guarantee a suite at a similar price point to what I would pay at the IC but I generally can't find that anywhere with an acceptable (to me) location. So I can get a good rate at the Millennium Hilton but not a location I find acceptable and there is always the RA renewal treadmill to consider lol.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Diamond benefits as of Feb 2019:

- Complementary upgrade
- 1,000 THB spa credit
- 500 THB dining credit
- 50% bonus on base points
- Late checkout
- Breakfast for two at the Brasserie
- 1,000 bonus points per stay

Currently staying here and got a Park View room, upgraded from base room - double checked and there were no suites available at the time of check-in.

Very impressed so far. This hotel is far beyond anything Hilton has offered previously in BKK. F&B is excellent.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thbe
Here you find a couple of pictures of the King Deluxe Suite at the Waldorf Astoria Bangkok:
Thanks for the photos; I honestly don't think I'd call that a King Deluxe Suite compared to some of the other Asia properties. The suites at the Hilton BKK are significantly more spacious, for example, based on those shots. This is more akin to the regular king rooms I've had in BKK and TYO and SIN, among others.

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
They're calling a Junior Suite A DELUXE SUITE now? Hmmm
Bingo.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Personally, I'm a fan of the VIP pick-up where they meet you at the gate with a buggy and then walk you through immigration. Really nice after 20 hours of travel.
Had that one time via a booking with IIRC the Millennium Hilton BKK. I still don't know that it was worth the extra. I've had better luck with NH having closer gates than UA used to have (though mixed luck on that), and haven't needed the cart ride. UA always seemed to have gates which were a mile away from immigration.

My BKK taxi issues have only been a small overcharge here or there (typically $5 or less), which I don't sweat, although the guy who asked for a tip after charging 600 thb for the ride from the Hilton at 4:30am (no traffic or tolls as he avoided the expressway) really galled me a bit just on the principle of the thing. I told him the 600 thb included the tip and that it was more than he should have expected...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
I still don't know that it was worth the extra. I've had better luck with NH having closer gates than UA used to have (though mixed luck on that), and haven't needed the cart ride. UA always seemed to have gates which were a mile away from immigration.
It's only worth it on a relative, not an absolute basis. Much cheaper at BKK than anywhere else I regularly go.

TG typically parks way, way out. Except sometimes you get a remote stand, and then the pick-up is worthless. I've been flying CX lately, and they tend to park reasonably close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.