Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Originally Posted by hugolover
Are you sure the MOD wasn't Irish?

Senior management team here is Simon Olle -GM (AU) and Gearoid Lyons -Ops (IE).

Emails in the usual format, if you want to express your concerns.
Could be Irish now that you mention it! I think he was trying to make his accent a little less obvious so people could understand him
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Stayed here two Amex weekend award nights from 12/29 to new year eve, low floor regular room no upgrade and room is not spacious. Breakfast is good quality while the food spread is not that extensive like Athenee, I used 2 x 500/guest 1000 baht diamond credit to order one afternoon tea set to hotel room, the set net price just got increased from 950 baht per perspon to 1,050 baht and total is around 1250 baht. We even can’t finish one set as nothing to write home about and not worth 1250 baht per person, with such price you can find much better value and taste else where in Bangkok.

After checkin I’m a little disappointed to find that ShangHai Tang amenity set provided in stead of Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo, you have to call them to get Ferragamo set, was told due to supply issues. I think higher category rooms may get Ferragamo set by default and basic rooms get ShangHai Tang.

Only got half hour late checkout even not one hour, overall a not bad stay but like what shocky has witnessed elite recognition is weak. I will have another 5 nights points stay in March which I booked 4 months ago with 208k points versus 320k or 7125 baht non-cancel rate if I book now.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by shocky
We cut short our stay and moved to the Intercontinental hotel where they know how to treat their guests.
Good call. Nothing I've read about this place makes me want to stay. Building looks cool from the outside though.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Stayed here two Amex weekend award nights from 12/29 to new year eve, low floor regular room no upgrade and room is not spacious. Breakfast is good quality while the food spread is not that extensive like Athenee, I used 2 x 500/guest 1000 baht diamond credit to order one afternoon tea set to hotel room, the set net price just got increased from 950 baht per perspon to 1,050 baht and total is around 1250 baht. ...
- I am considering where to use 1 AmEx free night certificate which would otherwise expire. My understanding is that as HHonors Diamond:
1) chances for an upgraded room are slim
2) free full breakfast for 2 people
3) and the only other amenity is 1,000 baht=31 USD diamond credit for hotel services if two people staying?
Please clarify.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- I am considering where to use 1 AmEx free night certificate which would otherwise expire. My understanding is that as HHonors Diamond:
1) chances for an upgraded room are slim
2) free full breakfast for 2 people
3) and the only other amenity is 1,000 baht=31 USD diamond credit for hotel services if two people staying?
Please clarify.
Correct.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT

Correct.
Thanks! May be I will give it a try. At least location is convenient and Conrad is sold out on that day.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:34 pm

Thanks! May be I will give it a try. At least location is convenient and Conrad is sold out on that day.
Actually nothing bad except elite recognition and it’s a good use of your weekend award. I did enjoy its location, breakfast and smart toilet. As mentioned I will have another 5N award stay in March.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Based on the review here I am thinking of cancelling my award here and just go with the Anantara Siam next door instead.
harri likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:15 pm
mtn

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Pool temperature?

I have an upcoming reward reservation (standard room) for five nights in March. I am travelling with my family (wife + two small kids). I understand there are zero possibilities to get a space-available upgrade as Gold VIP. If the standard room is too small to accommodate an extra bed it might be wise to stay elsewhere, especially if the hotel still has issues like slow check-in for half an hour.

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok claims to have ”temperature-controlled” swimming pool. Does anyone know what does this mean? I don’t like to swimm in cold water. How cold is the pool water?

I guess majority of the guests at Waldorf Astoria are Diamond Vips. This means they can’t offer any benefits for Gold Vips. My reward rate already includes breakfast. I guess I would get more benefits at Marriott?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mtn
...Waldorf Astoria Bangkok claims to have ”temperature-controlled” swimming pool. Does anyone know what does this mean? I don’t like to swimm in cold water. How cold is the pool water?
It must mean they have a heated swimming pool, which is not the norm in Bangkok. Most swimming pools are not heated, as it is usually not necessary in the hotter months. However, it is good to have in the winter months.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Disappointing to hear all the negative reviews, particularly an apparent lack of HH Diamond treatment. I’m Diamond (need to update my profile on FT), but I have WA Bangkok booked for this summer.

I’ve stayed at Park Hyatt Bangkok, and while it was a gorgeous property, I wanted to give WA a try. For those of you who have stayed at PH and WA- any comments?

I’ve also stayed at the old Four Seasons (now Anantara Siam), and at the time was quite pleased. While not the newest property on the block, I loved the “resort” feel, stunning lobby/outdoor courtyard spaces and authentic feel.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
This place is leaps and bounds better than the Conrad. I just stayed the Waldorf, after staying at the Conrad Bangkok, Hilton Sukhumvit, and Hilton Millennium, and I would rate the Conrad last among the rooms and hotel itself, though the staff is nice and the EL has a nice spread, and the elephant is nice, but other than that, our future stays will definitely be at the Waldorf, Iris treated us great our entire stay.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by craig44485
This place is leaps and bounds better than the Conrad. I just stayed the Waldorf, after staying at the Conrad Bangkok, Hilton Sukhumvit, and Hilton Millennium, and I would rate the Conrad last among the rooms and hotel itself, though the staff is nice and the EL has a nice spread, and the elephant is nice, but other than that, our future stays will definitely be at the Waldorf, Iris treated us great our entire stay.
Just curious did you get room upgrade and late check out?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years

Actually nothing bad except elite recognition and it’s a good use of your weekend award. I did enjoy its location, breakfast and smart toilet. As mentioned I will have another 5N award stay in March.
"Nothing bad except elite recognition", unless you get a room with rooftop view of a bank of noisy air conditioning units. Part of elite recognition is room assignment. The process of assigning rooms is a deliberate process, which the hotel has the most flexibility in room assignments.

I'm in the process making arrangements for my next trip to Bangkok. I will not consider the WA because of shocky's photo/report.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by craig44485

Trouble is, the rates at WA are much much higher than any other. Would you say the high rate is still worth it?
IndyHoosier and tomwhom like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.