Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
That pool looks awfully small... Is it?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
What are the diamond benefits besides breakfast? Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:41 am

I am interested in checking out the F&B at this hotel. Particularly the Nordic-Thai fusion cuisine at Front Room.

By the way, at Hilton group properties like this one, will points be awarded for dining as a non-staying guest?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
By the way, at Hilton group properties like this one, will points be awarded for dining as a non-staying guest?
No.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:31 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by l380
What are the diamond benefits besides breakfast? Thanks!
See # 23 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29998654-post23.html
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Any thoughts on WA vs Park Hyatt? I’ve stayed at park Hyatt and it’s gorgeous but debating on trying something new.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Would be great to hear first-hand experiences from Diamonds at this property. What are the upgrade changes? Is the breakfast the same as the standard breakfast or a limited 'continental option'?
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
November stay (3 nights)

I'm in Bangkok pretty regularly and have stayed at a lot of the business hotels. During my last trip, due to availability, I had to switch between St Regis, Waldorf, and Park Hyatt (never stayed at the Waldorf previously, the others many times). Straight to the point - I wouldn't recommend the Waldorf. Requesting an upgrade to a suite was a hassle at reception, although they did eventually (reluctantly) extend it...the suite itself was nothing to write home about, it essentially looked over a car park and power-plant, and the surrounding buildings are close, so you need to keep the drapes closed anyway. The suite is really just a large room, there is no separate living area. The pool area is also too small.

Plus points...the food was good (in particular the Michelin restaurant, Front Room), the Spa treatment was good (the Spa facilities are so-so, and were out of action during some of my stay for repairs), the 55-57th floor bars are excellent, and the location is good enough.

Diamond breakfast benefit was I think full buffet from what I can remember.

I'd eat and drink at the hotel, but I'd stay elsewhere. Park Hyatt is often same price point, sometimes St Regis is too (and on a good deal Mandarin Oriental can be)...all are much nicer / better hotels in my opinion.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by EGW1
I'm in Bangkok pretty regularly and have stayed at a lot of the business hotels. During my last trip, due to availability, I had to switch between St Regis, Waldorf, and Park Hyatt (never stayed at the Waldorf previously, the others many times). Straight to the point - I wouldn't recommend the Waldorf. Requesting an upgrade to a suite was a hassle at reception, although they did eventually (reluctantly) extend it...the suite itself was nothing to write home about, it essentially looked over a car park and power-plant, and the surrounding buildings are close, so you need to keep the drapes closed anyway. The suite is really just a large room, there is no separate living area. The pool area is also too small.

Plus points...the food was good (in particular the Michelin restaurant, Front Room), the Spa treatment was good (the Spa facilities are so-so, and were out of action during some of my stay for repairs), the 55-57th floor bars are excellent, and the location is good enough.

Diamond breakfast benefit was I think full buffet from what I can remember.

I'd eat and drink at the hotel, but I'd stay elsewhere. Park Hyatt is often same price point, sometimes St Regis is too (and on a good deal Mandarin Oriental can be)...all are much nicer / better hotels in my opinion.
Thanks for your insights. Your thoughts on WA seem pretty similar to what I've experienced at the Park Hyatt. Good food overall (I especially enjoy the breakfast here) but the rooms are quite small - although suites are de facto suites with a separate living room area. Pool is small (but even smaller at WA?).

I'm finding the St Regis to show its age already. Perhaps it's the bad construction quality you generally see in Thailand.

OT:
How do I find rates at the MO similar to PH/WA/StR? When I have checked they always seem to be at least double of what you'd normally pay at the others. Been wanting to stay here for a while.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
St Regis for me nabs it in terms of useful benefits (through Platinum membership) on a longer work trip (butler service, which I do find useful for coffee in the morning / afternoon), the laundry benefit, and drinks vouchers. Generally I've found the St Regis to be pretty good with upgrades to suites, and the desk area is comfy and practical for working, with the separate living area for meetings.

Park Hyatt, I find the service to be very good (such as the list of amenities they can provide if you forget your bathroom essentials), air purifier, humidifier, and being connected to the mall is very convenient. The pool itself is small, but I like the overall pool area (the tiered seating area with loungers etc). The "Penthouse" bar is also good (but the WA bars are better). The WA pool is probably marginally bigger, but the total pool area is small (and most of it is shaded by the roof design). I was also very happy with the upgrade and breakfast this time as a new Hyatt Explorist. If there's one niggle, it's that the traffic noise can be bothersome on lower floors / corner rooms.

Mandarin, they often have 4 nights for price of 3 deals in the low season which can bring it down to something like THB11k a night, and you can usually book via AMEX FHR, so you also get upgrades and resort credits, which makes it a great deal in my opinion (unfortunately not for 2019 as it's due to close for renovation March to November 2019!).
Kilian Zoll and Kalboz like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Looks like Conrad will continue to be my #1 choice.
PaulH1 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Mediocre, zero diamond recognition

From check-in to room the entire experience was stressful and underwhelming. The check-in was under staffed and staff looked very stressed. It took 30minutes wait to get the booking processed and finally receive a room. In addition the check in person continued taking calls during check in which was rude and delayed the process even more. The room we received faced noisy and ugly roof with AC units on the 8th floor, that's after we were assured that this was the best room available for a diamond member although all room types were showing available on the website they said they were 100% booked so can't change room or upgrade. The entire experience and service felt like a mediocre Best Western motel. Zero Thai hospitality. We asked to speak with the manager on duty, a Scottish guy, that offered nothing but insincere apology. We cut short our stay and moved to the Intercontinental hotel where they know how to treat their guests. Save your money for a better place.
IndyHoosier and fvn1312 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:22 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Several disappointing reports about WA here. I do not think Park Hyatt is good value for the money, St.Regis is good but not great relative to other St.Regis in the world, so if WA cannot fill the gap I continue to believe that the best value in Bangkok lies a step below at properties such as Athenee, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a couple of Marriotts, Grand Hyatt and now Hyatt Regency.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shocky
From check-in to room the entire experience was stressful and underwhelming. The check-in was under staffed and staff looked very stressed. It took 30minutes wait to get the booking processed and finally receive a room. In addition the check in person continued taking calls during check in which was rude and delayed the process even more. The room we received faced noisy and ugly roof with AC units on the 8th floor, that's after we were assured that this was the best room available for a diamond member although all room types were showing available on the website they said they were 100% booked so can't change room or upgrade. The entire experience and service felt like a mediocre Best Western motel. Zero Thai hospitality. We asked to speak with the manager on duty, a Scottish guy, that offered nothing but insincere apology. We cut short our stay and moved to the Intercontinental hotel where they know how to treat their guests. Save your money for a better place.
Are you sure the MOD wasn't Irish?

Senior management team here is Simon Olle -GM (AU) and Gearoid Lyons -Ops (IE).

Emails in the usual format, if you want to express your concerns.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
The views

Btw the view from the best room they were willing to give a diamond member in case anyone is interested.. (again no upgrade though website showing every room type available)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.