Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gav0106
The reply from the GM regarding a complaint is poor, and very short and almost rude:
Dear LLSullivan,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, in large cities, there are often ongoing developments and these are not within our control.
We apologize that the Wifi did not work well and thank you for sharing that, as we have not experienced challenges with this previously.
His replies to the noise issues are not very reassuring. But a GM is too busy to be posting on Trip Advisor anyway. He should outsource the replies to Ghoulish. Then we could at least get some comedic relief when the Hotel's response is ... "Liar!" ... "I don't hear anyone else complaining." ... "My god, you must have some very sensitive ears!" ... "Shrug. The noise doesn't bother me."
gav0106 and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Wow. This noise conversation is really getting riveting. I will be walking by on my way to pick up my laundry this afternoon, maybe I should get some decibel measurements! I do remember some construction when we were out at the pool last November. Never heard anything from the room but faced the other direction I think. I will say, that building is long overdue to come down. It looked pretty sad and was just taking up valuable space. Surprised it hasn't been taken down already. I know it used to be a pretty prestigious place but didn't see much to it myself. Looks like construction is not expected to be completed until 2026. I think that means the noise discussion will not end for a while.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Wow. This noise conversation is really getting riveting. I will be walking by on my way to pick up my laundry this afternoon, maybe I should get some decibel measurements! I do remember some construction when we were out at the pool last November. Never heard anything from the room but faced the other direction I think. I will say, that building is long overdue to come down. It looked pretty sad and was just taking up valuable space. Surprised it hasn't been taken down already. I know it used to be a pretty prestigious place but didn't see much to it myself. Looks like construction is not expected to be completed until 2026. I think that means the noise discussion will not end for a while.
In April I think the building across the street was under construction (on the other side of the BTS rail), but now I think the building directly next to the hotel is being torn down as well, is that correct? Is the one next door the one that’ll take until 2026 to finish?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by gav0106
The reply from the GM regarding a complaint is poor, and very short and almost rude:
Dear LLSullivan,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, in large cities, there are often ongoing developments and these are not within our control.
We apologize that the Wifi did not work well and thank you for sharing that, as we have not experienced challenges with this previously.
Exactly. Plenty of other properties have a note on their website saying construction is taking place or the pool or gym is closed for whatever reason. A similar message could be posted by the WA so people can make up their own mind whether to stay or maybe choose a different room
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:02 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Dave510
In April I think the building across the street was under construction (on the other side of the BTS rail), but now I think the building directly next to the hotel is being torn down as well, is that correct? Is the one next door the one that’ll take until 2026 to finish?
Yes, the old Peninsula Shopping Plaza (or something like that). They are building a Centre Point Hotel. I read that the lease expires on their current location right next door to the Peninsula Plaza and are apparently moving there. That building across the street from the Waldorf is still under construction. The shopping arcade connected to the Hyatt and the Amarin Plaza have construction going on now as well.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Exactly. Plenty of other properties have a note on their website saying construction is taking place or the pool or gym is closed for whatever reason. A similar message could be posted by the WA so people can make up their own mind whether to stay or maybe choose a different room
Yikes. This type of GM response does not really bode well; since the GM is such a strong force in setting the 'tone' of the service at the hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Yikes. This type of GM response does not really bode well; since the GM is such a strong force in setting the 'tone' of the service at the hotel.
It would explain why they're not disclosing the construction on the website or booking page. Short term revenue takes precedence over guest satisfaction.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
Short term revenue takes precedence over guest satisfaction.
It would also explain their behavior in how they account for various F&B credits and pick small fights which irritate customers (including issues noted more than once on LL blog) rather than ensure guests leave happy and will be looking forward to come back. Sure they earn marginal extra income in the short-term when someone is denied F&B credits on room service when the restaurant is fully booked, or denied credits when customers did not spend exactly on the day of their Amex FHR reservation when combined with another adjoining reservation done on Hilton's website. But then don't be surprised if some of these customers look the other way more often in the future.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by escape4
It would also explain their behavior in how they account for various F&B credits and pick small fights which irritate customers (including issues noted more than once on LL blog) rather than ensure guests leave happy and will be looking forward to come back. Sure they earn marginal extra income in the short-term when someone is denied F&B credits on room service when the restaurant is fully booked, or denied credits when customers did not spend exactly on the day of their Amex FHR reservation when combined with another adjoining reservation done on Hilton's website. But then don't be surprised if some of these customers look the other way more often in the future.
Agree. Food and beverage credits and discounts are applied in the manner benefiting the hotel, not the customer. For example a credit is applied first, before a 25% discount. That may be their rules, but it leaves a sour taste.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Agree. Food and beverage credits and discounts are applied in the manner benefiting the hotel, not the customer. For example a credit is applied first, before a 25% discount. That may be their rules, but it leaves a sour taste.
They are definitely free to implement rules as they see fit, and to insist on them being applied to the letter if they think it's in their best interest. However I would expect this behavior more from a select service hotel with tight margins, not from a luxury hotel. They put themselves into arguments with customers that I do not think benefit them in the long run in my humble opinion. Hence the bad press they had on LL for example, they only have themselves to blame for it and their inflexible policies which expose what their priorities are. Instead they could have wow'ed the guests with their other strong features and possibly gotten good reviews from bloggers. Oh well.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
They put themselves into arguments with customers that I do not think benefit them in the long run in my humble opinion.
And now there's a new wave of 5* hotels in Bangkok, plus W/A has the construction issue for at least the next year. This is a time to build loyalty, not discourage it.
escape4 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:25 pm

Walked over for breakfast this morning (staying next door at GH Erawan). As non-hotel guests, we were treated very well, including being given a table with prime Sports Club view. Superb service and exquisite food. The iberico and gorgonzola may well haunt my dreams. This has to be one of the world's great breakfast bargains at 1000 THB per person.
mcgahat, EuropeanPete and Cynicor like this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:47 pm

For all the (newly) negative points about WA BKK, breakfast is surely not one of them. They have not made notable cutbacks to the offering, service in the restaurant remains stellar, and the venue nearly unbeatable for non-riverside hotels.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Walked over for breakfast this morning (staying next door at GH Erawan). As non-hotel guests, we were treated very well, including being given a table with prime Sports Club view. Superb service and exquisite food. The iberico and gorgonzola may well haunt my dreams. This has to be one of the world's great breakfast bargains at 1000 THB per person.
If you liked their iberico you need to drop by their bar (the Loft) in the evening where you can get Joselito pata negra. Next level to what they serve for brekkie.

As far as the breakfast goes, I consider myself a bit of a yogurt connoisseur and the WA’s greek yogurt is the nicest I’ve ever had.
Cynicor and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
The hotel is no longer putting guests in park view rooms due to the construction noise issue. Which in my view answers the question of whether there was a noise issue to begin with …
escape4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.