Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You can understand where they're coming from. As they note, Twin beds are not available in the category you booked. It wouldn't be unreasonable for them to offer an upgrade early for Diamond customers, but it's also not unreasonable if they pointed out that upgrades are space available only. Presumably there's a reason why you booked a King bed room when you wanted a Twin?
For a Diamond at a luxury property, in Asia no less, it would definitely put me off if they responded as they did. (The poster clarified why only the King room could be booked)
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by stargold
For a Diamond at a luxury property, in Asia no less, it would definitely put me off if they responded as they did. (The poster clarified why only the King room could be booked)
I would be OK if they just acknowledge my request and say that IF a twin room is available, they would give it to me.
Agree 100% regarding luxury properties in Asia. I am currently at IC Danang Sun Peninsula right now, and staying on points too. We got upgraded to Club Suite Panoramic Oceanview without asking.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Q: What are the benefits for Diamonds?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Q: What are the benefits for Diamonds?
In this case, a welcome gift, free breakfast, space available upgrades.

In the past I've received bonus points, credits and discounts on services and f&b
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ghoulish

In the past I've received bonus points, credits and discounts on services and f&b
Thank you. This is tempting. I am very familiar with Bangkok. Trying to decide if this area would be on par with T21 (I.e. the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit). Both of those locations are arguably better than the Conrad.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:11 am
Suspended

Thank you. This is tempting. I am very familiar with Bangkok. Trying to decide if this area would be on par with T21 (I.e. the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit). Both of those locations are arguably better than the Conrad.
The location is nice enough that I'm seriously considering one of the condos above the hotel floors, given the access residents have to the Waldorf's amenities.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:19 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
I would be OK if they just acknowledge my request and say that IF a twin room is available, they would give it to me.
Agree 100% regarding luxury properties in Asia. I am currently at IC Danang Sun Peninsula right now, and staying on points too. We got upgraded to Club Suite Panoramic Oceanview without asking.
They are entirely entitled to not give an upgrade way ahead of arrival date. However it's a luxury hotel, this is exactly the kind of penny-pinching behavior that does not lend itself to luxury level and which I have observed in the last few months from their part. They are shooting themselves in the foot and many times behaving like a DoubleTree.

Like you said, it would be better to say they will do their utmost to meet your needs at time of check-in, and not talk about money in their response to you. But no, they cannot help but try to get 1k THB more per night. This is how this hotel has become and I am not surprised how they responded.
asdfghjk and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:46 am

The location is nice enough that I'm seriously considering one of the condos above the hotel floors, given the access residents have to the Waldorf's amenities.
Thanks. I just booked 7 nights there for the first part of the stay. I didn't know they had condos on top ... very interesting. Unfortunately, the Ritz condos are at Mahanakorn, which is not a location that we like.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

You should also get 500THB F&B spend per person, something like 1,000THB off a certain spend at the spa and 25% off F&B for cash spend on top of bonuses. I always book via FHR or similar to additionally get $100USD credit.
Roger Lococco likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:34 pm

You should also get 500THB F&B spend per person, something like 1,000THB off a certain spend at the spa and 25% off F&B for cash spend on top of bonuses. I always book via FHR or similar to additionally get $100USD credit.
Is the 500 baht per person or per room?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Is the 500 baht per person or per room?
Per person.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:38 pm

Per person.
Thats awesome. Thanks for all the help today. Ive booked 3 weeks at this property now. Should be a lot of fun
EuropeanPete and Ghoulish like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I prefer the SGS location, or if Ratchaprasong, directly on Sukhumvit (e.g., GH Erawan). Everything's a bit longer walk from W/A, which as you know can be meaningful when it's really hot or really wet.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:36 pm

I think location is a matter of opinion. The downside with the SGS and hotels around there are 1. The road is now almost permanently blocked and 2. The copious amounts of hookers and their johns.

At the WA you miss the convenience of an attached BTS stop, but youre 2 hotels down from the one at the St Regis in one direction or 4 minutes walk from CentralWorld (and from there the other major dept stores) in the other direction.

I think that the Park Hyatt has the best location of any bangkok hotel, but Id definitely rather be closer to Chit Lom than Asok as far as locations go.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Just stayed there a couple of days ago and be advised that the large building next door is being demolished. It’s being done floor by floor, by hand… so non-stop big drills and jack-hammers.

It’s loud… really loud… all day from around 9am until after 5. Even through the double glazing in the bedrooms the noise is very noticeable. The pool? Well, you can imagine.

All rooms overlooking the golf course/racecourse are affected. I think it’s going to take them several weeks to complete the works, so anyone thinking of staying might want to look for alternatives.
The _Banking_Scot and Dave510 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.