Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated “Digital Key” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated “Digital Key” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Is it a given that (heavy) glass bottles are more environmentally friendly than plastic bottles?

Local is definitely the way to go. There's a secret method that even works without a bottle:

• pick up empty glass
  • place under nearest (local!) tap
  • fill glass
  • raise to mouth
  • drink

Success!
How did that work out for Flint, MI?

But I do see more and more hotels using water coolers with cups in the workout rooms. They use to have mini-fridges with bottled water.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kklems
But I do see more and more hotels using water coolers with cups in the workout rooms. They use to have mini-fridges with bottled water.
I assume that change is driven by cost savings rather than environmental friendliness.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
The water bottles are great and easy to take on the go for a traveler. Giving out a couple of water bottles is a great convenience for me, especially after a long day of travel. I count on those two water bottles at the hotel to save me from having to stop somewhere else between the airport and hotel.

I also often will refill the bottles to take out the next day.

It is very easy to recycle the bottles when disposing them also. There is nothing wrong with proper use of the bottles.

As much as I like the idea of communal water refill stations, etc., these are still not all that common. The one I was going to use recently at PDX was so filthy that I turned around and did not use it.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by xp2000
We should ALL be cutting back on drinking water from disposable plastic bottles -- this created unnecessary waste AND is doubly sinful in the US where the tap water is drinkable (well, most places in the US). Hilton and other hotel chains might be, and should be, trying to cut back on unecessary waste in their rooms in order to be more sustainable, and guests have to do their part . I wish they would stop giving out these cheap wasteful bottles of water completely.
Pick your poison, I guess ...

https://www.ktoo.org/2017/09/27/your...ic-pollutants/

If you’re drinking tap water, you’re consuming plastic pollutants

Microscopic plastic fibers are pouring out of household faucets from New York to Delhi, according to original research by Orb Media, a nonprofit digital newsroom in Washington, DC.

Working with researchers at the State University of New York and the University of Minnesota, Orb tested 159 drinking water samples from cities and towns on five continents.

Eighty-three percent of those samples, including tap water from the US Capitol complex, Environmental Protection Agency headquarters in Washington, DC, and the Trump Grill in New York, contained microscopic plastic fibers.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by dave1013
Pick your poison, I guess ...

https://www.ktoo.org/2017/09/27/your...ic-pollutants/

If you’re drinking tap water, you’re consuming plastic pollutants

Microscopic plastic fibers are pouring out of household faucets from New York to Delhi, according to original research by Orb Media, a nonprofit digital newsroom in Washington, DC.

Working with researchers at the State University of New York and the University of Minnesota, Orb tested 159 drinking water samples from cities and towns on five continents.

Eighty-three percent of those samples, including tap water from the US Capitol complex, Environmental Protection Agency headquarters in Washington, DC, and the Trump Grill in New York, contained microscopic plastic fibers.
What makes you assume that bottled water does NOT also have microscopic plastic fibers in it?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is it a given that (heavy) glass bottles are more environmentally friendly than plastic bottles?

Local is definitely the way to go. There's a secret method that even works without a bottle:
  • pick up empty glass
  • fill glass
  • raise to mouth
  • drink

Success!
Correct on both fronts!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Correct on both fronts!
Yeah, see I have this niggle about the melting point of glass being so high.

If you're re-using glass containers, great. Most of the water bottles I see seem to get chucked into glass recycling containers (and smashed) which seems to set you back quite a long way...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:59 pm

• pick up empty glass
  • fill glass
  • raise to mouth
  • drink

Success!
Depends on which country... unless the goal is to get Montezuma's revenge.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Shake! Shake! Shake your phone to open your digital key

Has anyone used this new update? I guess you're suppose to be able to shake your phone to get the digital key to open. Do you still have to be in the Hilton app?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

• pick up empty glass
  • fill glass
  • raise to mouth
  • drink

Success!
Oh, that does NOT work in Phoenix. Still remember my first night here when we were put up in a hotel as part of my interview. I keep water at the bedside, no HHonors status, so I filled a glass from the tap. When I took a sip part way through the night it was so bad it wrenched me out of my hazy-half-sleep.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by adambrock
...Usually I fire up the app when I'm getting on the elevator, and it's ready to unlock my door as I'm walking up.
Am thinking about using digital key for the first time. Your post got me thinking about how it works. I know that I can select digital key when I do OLCI on my Samsung phone but what is required after that? I assume I need to have Bluetooth on when I get to my hotel room door, correct? Do I have to have an active Wifi signal at that time? Sorry for the deadhead questions but we all have to learn sometime. Thanks!

Last edited by Westcoaster; Apr 30, 2018 at 6:48 pm Reason: to clarify
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I think the way it works at the NYC fashion district is absurd. If you chose the digital key option and on an OLCI, they still require you to go to the front desk and show your ID and credit card before it works. Seeing there really aren't any upgrades at this hotel outside of getting a room with a king when reserving a queen, I am normally happy with my selected room and would rather just use the digital key to go str8 up to my room than wait in line at the front desk.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Am thinking about using digital key for the first time. Your post got me thinking about how it works. I know that I can select digital key when I do OLCI on my Samsung phone but what is required after that? I assume I need to have Bluetooth on when I get to my hotel room door, correct? Do I have to have an active Wifi signal at that time? Sorry for the deadhead questions but we all have to learn sometime. Thanks!
I think they answer all of your questions here: Hilton Digital Key
Old May 1, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Yes, Bluetooth on, the app will prompt you if it isn't enabled. You don't need a wifi or cell signal since there is a token inside the App which talks to key mechanism over BT, and that keeps working during your stay. So at the time you get the Notification that the digital key and room is ready for you you would need to be online (at some point) in order to pick up the updated token. This could be several hours before your arrival. However I would tend to switch on the signal at the hotel as well, just in case there's a problem with the room (and the hotel has shifted you) or some such. The hotel would then send you an updated token. Also sometimes you need it for the lifts (elevators), car park and what not, so best have Bluetooth on some time before you get to the door. As you approach the door (etc) the relevant screen turns green to indicate all is well, and you can tap to open. The other tip is that there is sometimes a half second delay before the door handle actually unlocks, with time you will develop an inbuilt slight delay. And if you don't normally have BT constantly on, be prepared for the battery to drain rather faster than normal.
wizla likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
==

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, Bluetooth on, the app will prompt you if it isn't enabled. You don't need a wifi or cell signal since there is a token inside the App which talks to key mechanism over BT, and that keeps working during your stay. So at the time you get the Notification that the digital key and room is ready for you you would need to be online (at some point) in order to pick up the updated token. This could be several hours before your arrival. However I would tend to switch on the signal at the hotel as well, just in case there's a problem with the room (and the hotel has shifted you) or some such. The hotel would then send you an updated token. Also sometimes you need it for the lifts (elevators), car park and what not, so best have Bluetooth on some time before you get to the door. As you approach the door (etc) the relevant screen turns green to indicate all is well, and you can tap to open. The other tip is that there is sometimes a half second delay before the door handle actually unlocks, with time you will develop an inbuilt slight delay. And if you don't normally have BT constantly on, be prepared for the battery to drain rather faster than normal.
Wow, what a great response! I had been most unsure about precisely when in the process I'd need a wifi/cell signal (I don't leave data and Bluetooth on by default) and you answered that question very well. The Hilton website doesn't go into enough detail on that. I didn't want to be at my hotel door and having to figure it all out then. I've read enough stories about problems people were having so hadn't tried it yet. But I have a couple of stays coming up where it may come in handy.

Thank you !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.