Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated “Digital Key” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated “Digital Key” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I enjoy the free water benefit. I especially enjoy when the water comes in bottles subject to a local deposit. In Germany, that may end up being a free 25˘ per bottle.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Quiet a few hotels have glass bottles of water in the room.
Much more environmentally friendly I guess...?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: Hilton, IHG, JetBlue, AA, Delta, Southwest
I stayed at the Back Bay Hilton in Boston 2 weeks ago and when I checked in was informed that water bottles had already been placed in my room "but here's a couple more and a snack in case you need them"

Housekeeping also tried pushing more water bottles on me the next morning even when I told her I didn't need either room done. So we ended up with 4 bottles for each of two rooms.

BTW, as a diamond member, I never received any email about no bottles in the room. Sounds more like an internal thing with that particular hotel.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Quiet a few hotels have glass bottles of water in the room.
Much more environmentally friendly I guess...?
Indeed. And even better if it was local water rather than shipped in from across the world.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:55 pm

Necessary to notify hotel of late arrival with digital key?

Hi, apologies if this is a stupid question. I have a stay coming up on Monday and my flight doesn't get in until 9:30pm. It is an award stay. I've heard that it's a good idea to call so that your reservation isn't cancelled.

Since this hotel has the digital key function, I'm assuming there'd be no need to add this note to my reservation? Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
My experience is that once you request the digital key and it's made available to your phone, the property sees you as checked in and in the building. I found this out when I requested a digital key and then my flight that evening got cancelled and I had trouble postponing my arrival.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by adambrock
My experience is that once you request the digital key and it's made available to your phone, the property sees you as checked in and in the building. I found this out when I requested a digital key and then my flight that evening got cancelled and I had trouble postponing my arrival.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but had no idea if there was a way for them tell when someone first uses the digital key. I requested the key this morning and it did ask me what time I plan on arriving, so sounds good.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by adambrock
There certainly is a function that allows hotels to see if the digital key was used. That function is how they know if guests are checked in but fail to arrive (aka "no-show").

It's in the best interest of both the hotel and corporate to correctly mark guests as no-shows. Hotels don't have to pay for points if guests are fail to arrive. And corporate wouldn't want people finding a dirt-cheap hotel and simply booking/checking in just to get elite-level status.

Originally Posted by LAKings
Hi, apologies if this is a stupid question. I have a stay coming up on Monday and my flight doesn't get in until 9:30pm. It is an award stay. I've heard that it's a good idea to call so that your reservation isn't cancelled.

Since this hotel has the digital key function, I'm assuming there'd be no need to add this note to my reservation? Thanks!
As someone who used to work Front Desk (including the overnight shift), I'd only worry about notifying the hotel if you arrive well after midnight. Presuming this hotel is relatively close to the airport, I wouldn't be concerned...particularly if you're planning on checking in online.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond
I've noticed a fair few uk Hilton's now have this option, personally I've not had the chance to use this yet, anyone had any issues/experiences lately?.....I notice my two favourite Hilton's ( Waldorf and Canary Wharf ) now have digital key access.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:49 pm

Sheffield Park DT posted on social media a few weeks ago now that they were the seventeenth Hilton property to have digi key.

DT Aberdeen beach, HGI Aberdeen and DT Dundee are the three so far in Scotland have it so far.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Same problem that you get in the USA: some hotels, some bookings it works fine (so Hamptons and HGIs), other hotels (Doubletrees if we were to generalise) you ask for it via the App, and it turns out that they really do want you to sign something at the front desk, or provide ID. So you don't get the benefit of the key. Worst culprit so far has been DT Bath Road. After considerable pleading with them I got a traditional key, but only have multiple minutes wrestling with the computer system, getting a colleague from the back office, rebooting the computer, logging in and out and in and....
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
confused digital key

At the Doubletree San Jose, the door to the pool and the fitness centre were about 20ft apart. I could never get to the pool - only the fitness centre door would show up on the digital key.

I also noticed that the digital key was a lot slower to get into my room than just using the plastic key (they issued me the plastic after I mentioned that I couldn't get into the pool area). Firing up the app, finding the DK, waiting for it to find the door, clicking on unlock, clicking again, waiting for the door to respond...it is going to take a while for this gimmick to be particularly useful. Especially when it doesn't enable you to bypass FD ("we're having issues, please stop by FD").
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hopefully it will get faster and less buggy over time. Speed of use may have some physical limitations, but if its gets more reliable and the UX gets closer to a single press of a button, I can live with it being a *little* slower than inserting the card.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Originally Posted by DouglasKelly
I also noticed that the digital key was a lot slower to get into my room than just using the plastic key (they issued me the plastic after I mentioned that I couldn't get into the pool area). Firing up the app, finding the DK, waiting for it to find the door, clicking on unlock, clicking again, waiting for the door to respond...").

If you have an iPhone running iOS 10, you can add a widget to the widget screen (don't know the proper term, but swipe right from the home screen to get there), and it has a link that goes straight to digital key. However, it still has to launch the app, so there is a delay. Usually I fire up the app when I'm getting on the elevator, and it's ready to unlock my door as I'm walking up.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Indeed.
Is it a given that (heavy) glass bottles are more environmentally friendly than plastic bottles?

And even better if it was local water rather than shipped in from across the world.
Local is definitely the way to go. There's a secret method that even works without a bottle:

• pick up empty glass
  • place under nearest (local!) tap
  • fill glass
  • raise to mouth
  • drink

Success!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.