Wiki Posts
Search

Promise not kept, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Promise not kept, what to do?

Hey I had an unpleasant stay at an hotel of the Hilton Group, I contacted them on Facebook, they came back to me fast and told me they will refund the rate - that was more then fine with me. Now more then 2 weeks later there is no refund on my CC, so I ask the FB team whats going on, they came back to me and told me "Sorry" but they will send me 10.000 points nstead.

I also send a few messages to the HH rep at FT, asking for a contact and never get this information too.

Is this what I have to accept as customer service?

I don t care about the point nor the money I m just not OK with how my problem was handled in the whole process. At the hotel they just ignored it (it was about an non working AC and a room with closed windows with temperatures of 77Fahrenheit at nighttime), then they promised me to refund me and finally give me 10000points - come on thats not a good way to communicate.

What would you do?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:29 am
jxd

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Hey I had an unpleasant stay at an hotel of the Hilton Group, I contacted them on Facebook, they came back to me fast and told me they will refund the rate - that was more then fine with me. Now more then 2 weeks later there is no refund on my CC, so I ask the FB team whats going on, they came back to me and told me "Sorry" but they will send me 10.000 points nstead.

I also send a few messages to the HH rep at FT, asking for a contact and never get this information too.

Is this what I have to accept as customer service?

I don t care about the point nor the money I m just not OK with how my problem was handled in the whole process. At the hotel they just ignored it (it was about an non working AC and a room with closed windows with temperatures of 77Fahrenheit at nighttime), then they promised me to refund me and finally give me 10000points - come on thats not a good way to communicate.

What would you do?
If you have it in black and white as per the facebook chat, you can send in a complain to HH official channels.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
What would you do?
Well first I would stop pretending that it isn't about the money. Wanting a full refund because the temperature was 5 degrees too warm is a bit much.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Well first I would stop pretending that it isn't about the money. Wanting a full refund because the temperature was 5 degrees too warm is a bit much.
All I wanted was a cool room thats it. I was never asking for money, I was just complaining, they offered me the full refund. So thats where this issue starts.

If you feel comfortable with 72 degrees - thats fine, my comfort level is more around is more around 64 degrees.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Totally uncalled for and worthless commentary.

I would be complaining too, b/c 77 degrees means I didn't sleep well and that's the whole point of a hotel room.

I also relate to OP's frustration with the response and that being more important than the comp that was promised. I have been in exactly the same situation several times. Stuff happens, but don't lie to me about what you're going to do and/or blow me off.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
I am not that hard to please as a hotel guest (I think...) but one of the things I really need to be able sleep well is a cool room. If hotels don't give their guests the option to open a window, they have to make sure that the room can be cooled down to a level that the guest finds comfortable (64 F is not that much to ask for and also my perfect sleeping temperature).

I think a full refund is definitely what the hotel should give you.

I personally hate it when hotels present themselves as 'eco-friendly' (especially in winter) but at the same time heat their rooms to 78 F...
I also tend to avoid hotels where the windows can't be opened (and I would go for 'lower quality' hotels if I know that their rooms are nice and cool).
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Dont think this thread is about the ideal room temperature but abt what the hilton committed and then renegade on op.As suggested upthread pls take screen shots and send to the honors rep here.All the best OP!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Delectatio
I am not that hard to please as a hotel guest (I think...) but one of the things I really need to be able sleep well is a cool room. If hotels don't give their guests the option to open a window, they have to make sure that the room can be cooled down to a level that the guest finds comfortable (64 F is not that much to ask for and also my perfect sleeping temperature).

I think a full refund is definitely what the hotel should give you.

I personally hate it when hotels present themselves as 'eco-friendly' (especially in winter) but at the same time heat their rooms to 78 F...
I also tend to avoid hotels where the windows can't be opened (and I would go for 'lower quality' hotels if I know that their rooms are nice and cool).
64F, cant remember the last time I was even able to get a hotel near that,most wont go below 67 if that @ 64F Id cramp up like crazy

That said Im not sure a full refund is in order. It would be if the OP called the FD and was told it will get there just wait or if say 72 was the lowest it gets and the OP asked or told them since you cant get my room to atemp that I want/need Im leaving and actually checked out.

If the OP actually stayed the whole night then I dont see a full refund in place, unless it was one of the brands that says all over the place;If youre not satisfied and we cant fix the problem then you dont pay. eg Hampton sor DTs etc But thats only after notifying the FD of said problem and then either doing nothing or not able to fix what ever it is thats wrong in the guests mind
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by craz
64F, cant remember the last time I was even able to get a hotel near that,most wont go below 67 if that @ 64F Id cramp up like crazy

That said Im not sure a full refund is in order. It would be if the OP called the FD and was told it will get there just wait or if say 72 was the lowest it gets and the OP asked or told them since you cant get my room to atemp that I want/need Im leaving and actually checked out.

If the OP actually stayed the whole night then I dont see a full refund in place, unless it was one of the brands that says all over the place;If youre not satisfied and we cant fix the problem then you dont pay. eg Hampton sor DTs etc But thats only after notifying the FD of said problem and then either doing nothing or not able to fix what ever it is thats wrong in the guests mind
Working ac is part of what you pay for. I stay at Homewood suites because they have fans. Cool air isn't enough, circulation is needed. I'd expect a working fan brought in, or refund if not.

Point is, OP expected, reasonably, a room where the ac would work.

OP, If paid by credit card, it's dispute time. Note they didnt provide the product as expected. Also note they agreed to refund, then have tried to go back on that.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:58 pm

How much is your time worth

How far you take it at this point is really dependent on how much you value your time. While they made a promise and did not keep it, they did give you 10,000 points to make up for it. If you feel like investing more time to get them to live up to their original promise, keep pushing it. If it were me, I would take the points an move on. I value my time to much to dwell in the past. Not saying that is what you should do, but that is the thought process I would take in determining how to move forward.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:22 pm

I don't think the issue here is the reason for the refund, which is debatable. The issue is that Hilton promised one thing and delivered another. I'd call CS and ask for an explanation; if a good one isn't given, escalate.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The time to have solved this was while you were at the hotel. You should have requested a new, cooler room.

What happened with the promised "full refund?" I'd bet some low level customer service rep overpromised and got overruled by a supervisor.

OP can decide if it's worth his time to push for more compensation. I'd probably just take the 10k points and let it go.

Safe Travels!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Did you contact Hilton Honors Rep here?

Honorsrepresentative

There may be a delay but she always gets back to people ...
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by squeakr
Honorsrepresentative

There may be a delay but she always gets back to people ...
From the OP:

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The time to have solved this was while you were at the hotel. You should have requested a new, cooler room.
Also from the OP:

At the hotel they just ignored it ...

Last edited by gengar; Jul 1, 2017 at 4:21 am Reason: fixed messed up quote tag
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:22 pm

Is a room here redeemable at 10,000 points per night (ex-Cat 2)?
How much did you pay for the room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.