Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Our experiences at LQ have always been top-notch. It's another place we've used the free weekend night certificates and never regretted it. It's a very well-run property with excellent staff, in addition to having all of the hard and soft product you'd expect of W=A. Super relaxing, comfortable place to stay. For those concerned about the coronavirus, the spread-out casitas and uncrowded small pools might be preferable to a large hotel building.

With the Del, you're getting history and location. I still love it (and Coronado in general) for what it is, but it's definitely not the most efficiently run or friendly hotel I've ever stayed in. Even the act of getting on or off the property can be stressful and disorganized, so it's certainly not for everyone. But for a great beach in the Continental US that's pretty easily accessible to us for a weekend getaway, I'm sure we'll be back.

In additional to the WA Beverly Hills suggestion, you might consider the Waterfront in Huntington Beach. It's not a WA but it's still an excellent hotel and is walking distance to the beach and town. Not an identical vibe to Coronado, but worth a look if you really want to be right on the ocean.
Just had my first experience at the Del since it became a Hilton property. I used an AMEX free night certificate. I can't recommend staying here. The property is more a tourist attraction, and guests feel like an afterthought. They are monetizing everything, and there are few perks for guests. On a pre-Xmas weekend, the hotel is packed with sightseers, who they try to sell food and activities to. If you're on Coronado, I recommend walking over and taking a look at the historical public areas, which are interesting, and staying elsewhere. The La Quinta is a MUCH better property to use your certificate at. There, the experience is about the guests, not the sightseers. At the Del, ou will never get upgraded to anything that's worthwhile to stay at, like the Beach Village.
SanDiego1K and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:11 am

$75 a night to valet? Crazy money grab!

Old Feb 22, 2022, 2:59 pm

Actually surprised that you can self park, it didn't used to be an option. If you can get it, self park is a good idea, valet service was an absolute mess when we were there.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

free street parking all over the peninsula, no homeless, lovely Southern California weather. enjoy stretching your legs.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Actually surprised that you can self park, it didn't used to be an option. If you can get it, self park is a good idea, valet service was an absolute mess when we were there.
I have used it in the past. Unless they have changed it the self parking lot is right next to the hotel entrance. 30 second walk max.

TD
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Just finished a stay here. The property is historic and popular, but as a luxury hotel (or a regular hotel), it is nothing to write home about. Service is non-existent, everything is transactional, $15 per person daily credit can get you next to nothing when the sandwiches are almost $30 before tax and tips. Some rooms were renovated roughly a year ago, but it feels cheap.

Standard check in at 4pm and out at 11am. Requested late check out and was given one extra hour. If any longer there would have been a charge.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Just finished a stay here. The property is historic and popular, but as a luxury hotel (or a regular hotel), it is nothing to write home about. Service is non-existent, everything is transactional, $15 per person daily credit can get you next to nothing when the sandwiches are almost $30 before tax and tips. Some rooms were renovated roughly a year ago, but it feels cheap.

Standard check in at 4pm and out at 11am. Requested late check out and was given one extra hour. If any longer there would have been a charge.
you go because it’s Coronado, it’s oceanfront, and it’s affordable on points. it’s pretty cool to just exist on Coronado for a few days.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:48 pm

Must say I am pleasantly surprised. Just automatically upgrade for a stay this weekend….

Old Mar 13, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Stayed past weekend, just one night - upgraded to Views 1King on points - room was huge, and view was awesome.

Restaurant on site was very good, breakfast was especially nice.

Be aware everything is spendy at this property, but if your looking for a beautiful view and a amazing property, it was very that.
DC9 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:16 am

Stayed last week for 4 nights on points. Victorian garden view (was told this was my upgrade). Didn't really expect a better upgrade since staying multiple nights. Room was small and smelly.

Breakfast was $42 a person before the credit. Very decent choice of items and nice views. Never got crowded although we were there usually around 730am.

Their convenience store downstairs is such a ripoff...I got myself a 20 oz bottle of Coke one night. It was $7 and they want you to tip on top of that. Their CC terminal doesn't have a "no tip" button. You actually have to go and type 0.00.
SPN Lifer and BigFishDave like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
Be aware everything is spendy at this property, but if your looking for a beautiful view and a amazing property, it was very that.
Originally Posted by sopel
Their convenience store downstairs is such a ripoff...I got myself a 20 oz bottle of Coke one night. It was $7 and they want you to tip on top of that. Their CC terminal doesn't have a "no tip" button. You actually have to go and type 0.00.
Thanks for the warning.

While attending the Surface Warfare Officer School at the Naval Amphibious Base Coronado from November 1979 to February 1980, I used to jog up the beach past the Hotel del Coronado regularly.

It is indeed a beautiful property.
​​​​
Old May 28, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, Lifetime UA Silver
Has anyone stayed at the Beach Village on Points recently? Curious about the experience.

About to book two nights there on AMEX certificates.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | GHA Titanium | Omni Black | IHG Platinum | I Prefer Elite
Originally Posted by HedgeFundie
Has anyone stayed at the Beach Village on Points recently? Curious about the experience.

About to book two nights there on AMEX certificates.
How did you manage to find standard room rewards availability at the Beach Village at the Del, and, since I never came across any, may I know what was the room type that was able to be booked by standard room rewards?

TIA
bobofoosh and Traveler Dave like this.

Last edited by ParkAve; May 28, 2022 at 9:52 pm
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:36 am

Planning to stay here next month on a Friday night to use my aspire weekend cert and was hoping to get dinner and breakfast.
Is the only option for breakfast at the hotel the weekend brunch for $65? Seems waaay too expensive.
As for dinner, what's the best things to try?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randomasian
Planning to stay here next month on a Friday night to use my aspire weekend cert and was hoping to get dinner and breakfast.
Is the only option for breakfast at the hotel the weekend brunch for $65? Seems waaay too expensive.
https://hoteldel.com/dine/eno-market-pizzeria/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.