Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:51 pm

Just checked in for a weekend stay on FNCs and just echoing what everybody else has said so far. We were upgraded to Victorian Ocean View 2 Queen, I believe due to the fact that the booking agent put in the notes that we would prefer a room with 2 Queens with our son. Prior to arrival, got the typical pre-arrival message in the app about requests. Didn't think we'd get anything but I mentioned we were celebrating my son's birthday, my birthday, and our wedding anniversary. Was told it would be noted so that the front desk would be aware, but when I checked in I got no acknowledgement of anything, just a thanks for being a Diamond and then handed room keys - no explanation of any benefits or the property, which seemed odd.

The room itself is pretty big, the beds are separated like a suite, with a separate door and room for the 2nd bed (which is decidedly not a Queen, but that's fine). The room does feel quite old and rickety though. Having looked at the food prices, it seems like we won't be spending much time at the dining outlets on property. Unlikely to return as it is not luxurious in the slightest (other than the prices).
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Did 1 night here last weekend with a FNC. Also had $250 in resort credit to burn so we went ahead and had breakfast at the hotel.

Breakfast was fine, but nowhere near worth $79 plus tax/tip per person. The main hallmarks I'd expect of a breakfast that expensive - oysters and sparkling wine - are not included. (They do have shrimp and mussels.) We received a $30 Diamond credit - total net bill of $175.

It was not a bad breakfast - just not a luxurious one. Should have been $30-40. By contrast, we spent the next night at the US Grant, Marriott's top offering in San Diego, and had a fantastic full plated breakfast with juice and coffee for $30 per person plus tax and tip, before $21 per person Titanium credit.

I'm a sucker for San Diego so I'm sure I'll continue to blow FNC's at this hotel. We love the beach. But my future play will be to not eat on property....or if I have to blow through the $250 again, do it for lunch/dinner at the pizzeria or taco shack.

Room itself was fine - standard Victorian king. I wanted to check-in online and use digital key and not deal with the front desk, so I didn't pursue upgrades. Digital Key worked successfully.

Last edited by pinniped; Mar 7, 2023 at 7:45 am
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by pinniped
Breakfast was fine, but nowhere near worth $79 plus tax/tip per person. The main hallmarks I'd expect of a breakfast that expensive - oysters and sparkling wine - are not included. (They do have shrimp and mussels.) We received a $30 Diamond credit - total net bill of $175 per person.
$175 per person?

When we stayed, precovid, our Diamond benefits at the time covered the basic breakfast for two. We upgraded one breakfast to try out the crab eggs Benedict, maybe a $10 upcharge. I dont think we would have spent $80 a person.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
$175 per person?

When we stayed, precovid, our Diamond benefits at the time covered the basic breakfast for two. We upgraded one breakfast to try out the crab eggs Benedict, maybe a $10 upcharge. I dont think we would have spent $80 a person.
My bad - it was $175 total. I'll edit.

That was my recollection as well from a 2018 stay. The Diamond benefit covered a nice continental buffet that had a wide variety of choices. That part of the buffet is still there, and would make a nice breakfast, but there is no option to purchase it separately.
SPN Lifer and Jaimito Cartero like this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
So the rooms are crap and we won't stay there. The cancellation policy alone had me scared you know what (lose your points AND pay the going rate - $700 or so - if you cancel within 7 days).

We're staying at a much more friendly Hilton, but wondering if we should go over to the Del as lookie-loos? Is there any security that stops you from wandering around? Is it just the lobby and the beach (I'm sure we can't get into the pool area or near the rooms), or is there anything else to see? Has anyone ever taken the tours they offer?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:38 am

Nothing to stop you from looking around, enjoying the beach and having an ice cream.
Eujeanie likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
2 nights here in Feb, on points and an FNC. A modest upgrade to a courtyard view. And yes the place is open to the public, during the day nothing to stop you from strolling right in to the sleeping rooms (in the main building at least.)
Old Mar 26, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks, we'll see what else we have planned.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin
you go because its Coronado, its oceanfront, and its affordable on points. its pretty cool to just exist on Coronado for a few days.
this is why one goes to the Del!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 2:59 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Anyone with experience of the new Ocean Concierge Club yet? I have another stay coming up in a few weeks (With a couple of teenagers), and it sounds as thought it may be nice/interesting, especially and including the bonfire.

I see some rates where that is baked in; and appears to be cheaper than adding it on after the fact.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
Anyone with experience of the new Ocean Concierge Club yet? I have another stay coming up in a few weeks (With a couple of teenagers), and it sounds as thought it may be nice/interesting, especially and including the bonfire.

I see some rates where that is baked in; and appears to be cheaper than adding it on after the fact.
Interesting. Looks like a fun experience that, for the Del, isn't priced as exorbitantly as I might have expected. In a room rate, it looks like around $190-200 for Guest 1 and $150 for guests beyond that. Varies a little by room type...although the $150 for Guest 2 seems pretty fixed.

Wonder what the cost is to tack it on to an award stay.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
Interesting. Looks like a fun experience that, for the Del, isn't priced as exorbitantly as I might have expected. In a room rate, it looks like around $190-200 for Guest 1 and $150 for guests beyond that. Varies a little by room type...although the $150 for Guest 2 seems pretty fixed.

Wonder what the cost is to tack it on to an award stay.
I am here now, in the middle of my stay (4 nights) now. I can't answer the cost wrt tacking onto an award stay - i booked a rate with this included, and then upgrade rooms (Cabana Fire pit room).

I will say so far (Especially on Saturday) that the OC Club is good, and probably worth it and am thinking especially for shorter stays (Less likely to get bored with food at the same place). Breakfast and lunch is included, but it also is a great place to just grab a drink or a seat to hang out - as it can get busy in the rest of the property. Breakfast has a buffet as well as a menu to order off of. Lunch is a nice buffet with a few choices. The kids loved the bonfire and SMores - so that was good too.

I still struggle coming to grips with the cost of this place (I knew it coming in) but it really is lovely property with lots of options and great service.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 7:28 pm

I enjoyed my stay, mostly. Booked a standard Victorian room with points. Offered no upgrades via the app (I was immediately at Conrad DC which was cool) so checked in with an agent who upgraded me to a partial ocean view. I arrived at 11am so didnt expect it to be ready and was told Id get a text when ready.

skip ahead to 4pm and I was annoyed considering the cost of this place that I still
didnt receive a text with my room. I went back to the same agent and he offered to call for me. In the end said itd still be like 20 minutes but he could give me a room in the renovated area if Id like to now. He really undersold the difference lol. Basically I got another upgrade to the views. Less charm but an amazing view of Coronado that made me feel like a king every morning.

Besides that hickup everyone was awesome who worked there and property is beautiful. I was pretty disappointed the beach had bacteria warnings though. Didnt know to expect that in Coronado.

Also only got the $15 credit for the buffet and not $30. I guess thats technically correct since I was solo but compared to how generous Conrad DC was it felt stingy.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by stcbus
I was pretty disappointed the beach had bacteria warnings though. Didn’t know to expect that in Coronado.
This generally happens a few times a year, usually in the summer as the water from TJ is pushed north by storms. It can also happen in the winter during heavy rains, but winter storms usually push coastal waters south.

Now, if you're looking to stay down the coast in Imperial Beach, that's a different story.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

when there's a bacteria warning along the California coast, don't get in the water.
https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/ca...-from-tilapia/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.