Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Duniway Portland, a Hilton Hotel {US-OR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Duniway Portland, a Hilton Hotel {US-OR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I dunno, I felt the chicken and waffles was fairly unique in preparation. The demitasse coffee cups are, indeed, a minus.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Try looking at a Kimpton to see what that means (Kimpton Alexis Seattle). Diamond benefits means 2pm late checkout. Compared to diamond with Hyatt, which at Olive 8 in Seattle gets you $26 for breakfast (which is more than sufficient), meh.
I assume you meant IHG Platinum/Spire rather than Hilton Diamond?

As I understand it, these Kimptons have a resort (destination) fee now. They are pretty good about upgrading IHG elites, but bear in mind that incidental spending at this brand does not​​​​ earn IHG points.

Not sure whether the $10 Raid the Bar voucher applies to breakfast or not, but assuming it does, you will need to queue at checkout to have it manually applied.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Sep 11, 2018 at 10:22 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I dunno, I felt the chicken and waffles was fairly unique in preparation. The demitasse coffee cups are, indeed, a minus.

I assume you meant IHG Platinum/Spire rather than Hilton Diamond?

As I understand it, these Kimptons have a resort (destination) fee now. They are pretty good about upgrading IHG elites, but bear in mind that incidental spending at this brand does not​​​​ earn IHG points.

Not sure whether the $10 Raid the Bar voucher applies to breakfast or not, but assuming it does, you will need to queue at checkout to have it manually applied.
Yes, Kimptons have a stupid fee. But they are pretty cool. Just put it in with the room rate, just like all these other stupid fees/taxes.
$10 Raid the Bar is for bar as well as minibar, but checkout was still very quick (I didn't have to wait in line though).

I meant Hyatt Diamond, or Globalist as people know it nowadays. For the Olive 8 in Seattle.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Early ceck-in fee charged to Diamond

Last time we stayed here, they charged us the $25 early check-in fee. I realize that it's not a listed Diamond perk (although I think it should be official ), but is certainly something that I think should be waived. I wrote as much in the survey I got. I received an apology abd full refund.

We're staying again in April (we really do like the place).Does anyone know if they're still pulling the same shenanigan?

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have never heard of this fee before. How far in advance of the official time did you check in?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never heard of this fee before. How far in advance of the official time did you check in?
This was like 8 or 9AM, so quite a bit before. In fact "Early check In" is even listed as one of my Available Upgrades, with a $25 fee (and my regular Diamond upgrades are listed for a feww).
Contrast this with the Helsinki Strand where upgrade to a higher level of room was shown as a free-to-request option.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would contact the same person who arranged the apology and refund for further information.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:56 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would contact the same person who arranged the apology and refund for further information.
It was a year or two back and I didn't save it. We can always have breakfast at Capers Market at PDX with Priority Pass, head in a little later and have it not be too early Push comes to shove, $25 is worth it. Just seems petty for top tier for a perk that, in the end, costs them nothing.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I stayed here in January. Overall happy with the room and the location. The restaurant was fine - nothing all that special - but the $15 credit they gave me was enough to get breakfast and a coffee. The room had a hipster AM/FM radio made by Tivoli that sounded so good that I ordered one for myself.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
I stayed here in January. Overall happy with the room and the location. The restaurant was fine - nothing all that special - but the $15 credit they gave me was enough to get breakfast and a coffee. The room had a hipster AM/FM radio made by Tivoli that sounded so good that I ordered one for myself.
When you mention "the $15 credit" does that mean that they no longer offer breakfast at either the Duniway or the Hilton Portland (full buffet price - $4, so $4 upcharge so $19 or $21 these days, as they used to)? That would represent a downgrade to me as I found the Duniway a la carte menu somewhat limited compared to the buffet at the Hilton Portland.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Feb 25, 2019 at 6:38 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Duniway and Hilton Portland have been completely separate properties for a while.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Duniway and Hilton Portland have been completely separate properties for a while.
indeed they have. And they have been allowing breakfast at either location for a good amount of time after the split. Certainly into mid last year. Hoping that it is still the case.

Edit: I did happen to call, and the option to use the voucher toward breakfast at the Executive Towers is still there (for anyone interested).

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Mar 11, 2019 at 2:16 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duniwa - improved benefits

We just stayed at the Duniway this pas weekend, and they have improved things a bit.

Gone is the up-charge for the full buffet at the nearby Hilton Portland and Executive Towers breakfast can be taken at either). This applies both to Diamond and Gold. For a la carte they apply $15 in value (seems low as the full buffet is $25, and does not cover all items).

They have a "night cap" program where I was given two wooden chits for a whiskey or Frenet tasting at the bar. Each chit was good for a 1 oz. pour. The whiskey (Frenet is a waste of a good drink chit ) was from Rogue. 2 chits got me a proper 2 oz. pour. Not sure if this would have been per-night as we stayed only one night, but I would expect not. Still a nice add-on.

Early (11AM check-in was no problem into an upgraded corner room). Late check-out was given until 2PM gratis, 3 OM was available for a perfectly reasonable $25.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looking for some an advice for a 5 night stay for our family of 4 coming up shortly. We will be driving, so will have a car. My options are:
  1. a 2-queen suite at the Embassy Suites - free breakfast for all included, which is particularly useful with the kids.
  2. a 2-queen room at the Duniway via Amex FHR. This costs $120 more for the 5 days, but comes with $100 in food and beverage credit, and free breakfast for two.

I guess my questions are:
  1. Is one of the hotels in a markedly better location?
  2. It looks like self-parking is going to be $10 a night cheaper at the Duniway. Does that seem right? Any insight on in and out privileges with parking? Any better options for parking near each hotel?
  3. As a Hilton Gold, will I be able to get 2 additional breakfasts at the Duniway in conjunction with the 2 provided by the FHR booking?
  4. Any reason one of the two will be a markedly better experience for the family? e.g. just having more space at the Embassy Suites?

thanks a ton in advance.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:00 pm

What do you plan to do while in the city? Are you going to be walking and taking public transit or mostly grabbing the car each day and just heading out to do things?

I cannot remember how they do the in and out of parking there. I parked in that garage for years but as a monthly parker.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MissJ
What do you plan to do while in the city? Are you going to be walking and taking public transit or mostly grabbing the car each day and just heading out to do things?

I cannot remember how they do the in and out of parking there. I parked in that garage for years but as a monthly parker.
It will likely be a mix. We enjoy being able to walk/wander around, so that's always a big plus - but I imagine with 5 days, there'll be at least a couple of drive-somewhere days. Weather is likely a big factor.

Also, definitely open for tips on fun things to do in the winter in and around Portland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.