Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Duniway Portland, a Hilton Hotel {US-OR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Duniway Portland, a Hilton Hotel {US-OR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Arrived here and checked in, decided to park in the contiguous lot. We have too much stuff to schlep from 4th and Yamhill. I'll pay the confiscatory fee! Assigned a small and hip room on floor 19. Hotel is in a great location and we are within walking distance of excellent food, drink, and shopping. But I'm sure that's not news!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:45 pm

I have to admit I'm a little jealous. I'd love to just walk across the street and get an Extra Mile smoothie from Kure right now. Of course I'm on the other side of the country right now.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:18 pm

Had a nice two night stay here a few weeks ago. Received a follow-up text message on the day after check-in to see how things were going. That was a nice gesture. Breakfast was tasty. My only gripe was with valet parking. They ask you to call down 15 minutes before you're ready to go but every time I called, no one answered the phone. Ended up going downstairs to the valet and getting my car in just a matter of minutes.

Overall I really enjoyed the hotel. I'd definitely go back.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chang11
It is my opinion that violent crime in Portland is not that low and awareness/caution should exercised at all times.
I've never felt physically unsafe around this hotel. If there are dangerous parts in downtown Portland, I don't believe most normal hotel guests would wander into them if they're just going out to nearby restaurants.

Loitering appears to be permitted downtown, so that's possibly a concern for someone coming from a place that prohibits it. But I've never been bothered by the loiterers - panhandlers in Chicago and New York are more vocal/aggressive.

Awareness/caution make sense in any city, I suppose...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've never felt physically unsafe around this hotel. If there are dangerous parts in downtown Portland, I don't believe most normal hotel guests would wander into them if they're just going out to nearby restaurants.

Loitering appears to be permitted downtown, so that's possibly a concern for someone coming from a place that prohibits it. But I've never been bothered by the loiterers - panhandlers in Chicago and New York are more vocal/aggressive.

Awareness/caution make sense in any city, I suppose...
The night we stayed at that Hilton Towers (now the Duniway) we had a very scary encounter with a person on the street. He was young, vocal, and said some very threatening things that probably would have caused his arrest had we not been so terrified to find someone. We were so happy to just be rid of him.

We live in Eugene and going up to Portland used to be a many times a year event to go to the "big city" . That night was so awful we're lucky if we now go up once a year, and take taxis when we need to. Yes it was that bad. Not painting all Portland panhandlers with the same brush, but when you encounter a truly terrifying person it stays with you.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Regarding Safety Issues Downtown Portland

Columbia Sportswear considers closing downtown office (Portland) citing safety concerns.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...considers.html
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hmm. Perhaps a bigger problem than I've observed in my relatively-few stays downtown.

Wonder if the city will revisit its loitering laws (or enforcement of whatever is on the books today)? Often not an easy problem for cities to solve...
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Hmm. Perhaps a bigger problem than I've observed in my relatively-few stays downtown.

Wonder if the city will revisit its loitering laws (or enforcement of whatever is on the books today)? Often not an easy problem for cities to solve...
Yes, you do seem to minimize it. In our incident while I don't like to say our lives were threatened, the words used could have been construed as that, and were very frightening.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Stayed here for two nights over the Memorial Day weekend. Can't say I was as smitten with the hotel as everyone else in this thread. The whole stay just had a number of minor annoyances that added up to a barely average Hilton stay.

Check-in at 4pm was a mess. They had two people working at two of three terminals to check people in with a line down the lobby. Took around 10 minutes to get to the front. No upgrades, which isn't entirely surprising considering the long weekend.

We were also warned the parking garage doesn't reliably take the room key to exit so we should stop by the front desk to get our ticket "validated" (written on in a gold Sharpie). This turned out to be an ongoing annoyance since we were in and out of the parking garage 6-8 times over the course of the stay, each time requiring another stop at the front desk to get the ticket validated.

The room was fine. Nice big TV that works with Chromecast on the phone. The walls, however, are thin and we could hear the family in the room next to us the entire stay.

I'd say our biggest disappointment was Jackrabbit. We had brunch one day and breakfast the next. As others have mentioned they charge for the coffee, and the price isn't listed on the menu. $15 per person per day credit seems like a good deal but you really can't get any food + drink for that price. My wife splurged and got the hash which was $19, and came with a whole bunch of potatoes and six tiny cubes of meat. Service ignored us for a good ten minutes after we sat down too. Totally unimpressive.

This morning was the regular breakfast and I had the breakfast sandwich. Bland and no better than a sausage and egg McMuffin. We were sat next to the window and the window sill was covered in crumbs from dinner the night before.

We tried going for happy hour once and were ignored. Went to the bar to get a menu, which I was given, and then went to sit and think about what to eat. No sign of any service at all so we gave up and left.

Overall it's amazing how much the experiences at breakfast and the bar colour the whole stay. The rooms are nice, but when you add in thin walls and poor restaurant service it's tough to justify the extra money to stay here instead of any of the many other hotels in the area.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Are upgrades given when better rooms (including suites) are available ? Or is this property just miserly?

we are renting a car and wondering if street parking overnight is any worse than garage. Assuming no valuables of course. As it turns out July 4th is a parking holiday I believe so it would be free to park July 3 night through July 4. Thoughts?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:54 am

Yes, parking is free in Portland on holidays. Just empty the car of everything, valuable or not. Be aware of events going on like the fireworks. Portland does a pretty good display so a ton of people come into the city to watch. Check the schedule on the Blues Festival too. It's a big event.
izzik likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Recently had a 3 night stay. Overall, a good experience, but a few things could be better or clarified

1. I have Gold Status and was offered a $15 credit for breakfast, which I declined and was offered 1000 points per night Still no points credited. Just as happy to go for a walk and find my own breakfast choices.
2. Coffee machine in the room did not provide any tea options
3. 11th floor outdoor space is great, but closes at 10:00 PM

Would I stay again? Probably
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flying chef
3. 11th floor outdoor space is great, but closes at 10:00 PM
As someone who had a room facing the 11th floor outdoor space I'm very glad it closes at 10:00 PM
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Finished up a 2 night stay here.
As a Diamond, I was offered the choice between a $15 credit at Jackrabbit or the breakfast buffet at the Hilton Portland (Hopcity). Seeing as $15 doesn't get you very far ala carte, we took the buffet option. It was fine, nothing special.. the bacon was crisp - perfect - not soggy. In terms of late checkout, they could only offer 2pm.. 3pm would have been an extra charge (nothing terrible, $10-$20 I don't recall exactly).. but it was annoying because I'm used to Hyatt offering 4pm w/o a question.

Room was nice, very stylish in a mid century modern way.. the shower is extremely low ceiling height.. I can't imagine how one would handle if they were > 6 ft.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
I'd say our biggest disappointment was Jackrabbit. We had brunch one day and breakfast the next. As others have mentioned they charge for the coffee, and the price isn't listed on the menu. $15 per person per day credit seems like a good deal but you really can't get any food + drink for that price. My wife splurged and got the hash which was $19, and came with a whole bunch of potatoes and six tiny cubes of meat. Service ignored us for a good ten minutes after we sat down too. Totally unimpressive.

This morning was the regular breakfast and I had the breakfast sandwich. Bland and no better than a sausage and egg McMuffin. We were sat next to the window and the window sill was covered in crumbs from dinner the night before.
I also question why posters have said Jack Rabbit is so great. $15 credit means $1 after you order the breakfast sandwich. Coffee drinks are $4-5, juice $7. I was also ignored by waiter for at least 5 minutes, while he cleared away the table of another man who had just left and went to chat with another table (that had already gotten their food). Waiters should at least acknowledge you are there, they are busy and will come back to you.
Food isn't great. Nothing special.

It is supposed to be more boutique but obviously has many many rooms, is an older place and they tried to make it new and cool but fell short. Try looking at a Kimpton to see what that means (Kimpton Alexis Seattle). Diamond benefits means 2pm late checkout. Compared to diamond with Hyatt, which at Olive 8 in Seattle gets you $26 for breakfast (which is more than sufficient), meh.

Downtown Portland is very small. Many nice hotels are nearby. Unless you are with Hilton and trying to gain nights no point staying here.
missamo80 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.