Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Duniway Portland, a Hilton Hotel {US-OR}

The Duniway Portland, a Hilton Hotel {US-OR}

Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Nice hotel, agreed on the coffee. Especially when they don't refill it frequently enough to get your money's worth.
Normally that wouldn't be too much of a problem, but they use smaller demitasse-like cups. Fortunately, there was only one other party dining, and the manager, acting as server, was diligent. The other party was discussing their suite, which I envied, but I just assumed that they had actually booked one.

Shower was fine.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Looks marvelous. Glad to have another good option in Portland. ^
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Any more information about alternative parking options? I'll be there on a Saturday night and would love to avoid the hefty parking fee if possible.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
No we haven't Coincidentally, we had booked the Hi-Lo on our Memorial Day Trip and our reservation got canceled as the hotel opening was pushed back. That's how we ended up at The Duniway (which I had been seeing a lot of positive feedback about).

We walked by the Hi-Lo and it looked great. I would say The Duniway has a better centralized location though. The one perk of the Hi-Lo is that it is only like a block or two away from Mother's Bistro
I just like the fact that Portland has quite a few hotel options with character. If you like your MR, HH, or SPG points, you don't have to settle for a soulless hotel. I love Kimptons, but in a lot of places where there is one, it feels like a trade-off: cool hotel vs. points. Portland doesn't force you to choose. (Disclaimer: I know little about Kimpton post-IHG-acquisition, nor whether the Portland Kimptons are in their own level of coolness. )

Only thing I can't think of is a cool downtown Hyatt, but that's like my 4th option anyway, so I don't really care.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by pinniped
I just like the fact that Portland has quite a few hotel options with character. If you like your MR, HH, or SPG points, you don't have to settle for a soulless hotel. I love Kimptons, but in a lot of places where there is one, it feels like a trade-off: cool hotel vs. points. Portland doesn't force you to choose. (Disclaimer: I know little about Kimpton post-IHG-acquisition, nor whether the Portland Kimptons are in their own level of coolness. )

Only thing I can't think of is a cool downtown Hyatt, but that's like my 4th option anyway, so I don't really care.
I agree 100% with this statement -- but that's fitting for a place like Portland right?

The Kimptons rank very, very highly in the Portland area among locals and visitors as some of the best properties around. It's also a market where I feel like there are more Kimpton properties, and rooms, available when thinking about the amount of traffic Portland gets compared to other cities.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Thanks for the photos. As a "native" have only stayed there for conferences and occasions, but looks fantastic. Never liked the regular Hilton that is kitty-corner from the tower.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by jeebus
Any more information about alternative parking options? I'll be there on a Saturday night and would love to avoid the hefty parking fee if possible.
+1, will be staying here in a few weeks for a night and would like to do the same.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013
+1, will be staying here in a few weeks for a night and would like to do the same.
The city-owned Smart Park garages are a pretty good option if you don't mind dragging your luggage a couple of blocks. There is one at 4th & Yamhill, which is about 2 blocks away. According to their website, the max daily rate is $14 during the week and $5 for weekend days.

I have never parked overnight, but their website says they are open 24/7
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Stayed for two nights the weekend before THE ECLIPSE. Had a wedding so booked well in advance but there was a good amount of guests. Hotel is very nice and modern compared to it's white counterpart across the street. Almost hard to notice with the dark colors. Rooms are well appointed but not above Hilton standards. 65in TV a nice touch but never turned it on. Breakfast in the lobby is a decent value for $15 credit pp. When we ate I noticed a couple asking about cereal and other generic options and I think they were sent to the Hilton. The restaurant is definitely trying to cater to locals as well, unsure if it is going to succeed in that effort. Food was pretty spectacular though and easily can be under $15 but you can also quickly go over with coffee or fancier options. Overall the best option in town until the Curio/Hampton opens IMO.

Last edited by BLazarus22; Aug 22, 2017 at 6:53 pm Reason: Title already fixed
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:33 pm

Stayed here this past weekend and parked at the garage mentioned above (4th & Yamhill). It was indeed $10 for a Saturday overnight. The only issue is that the lower floors are reserved for short-term parking (<4 hours), which were very full, whereas the upper floors for longer-term parking were nearly empty and made the few cars there prime targets for thieves. I wouldn't hesitate parking there again, as long as I could empty my car of any valuables.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:19 pm

Just a word of advice...ALWAYS empty your car of everything when parking in Portland. While violence in the city is very low, property crime is by far the highest of any place I've ever seen. On the street, in the garages, your own driveways, not safe. Lock cars, remove everything. I even know of break ins in the Duniway garage but which feels very secure.

This is not a reflection of this lovely property, it's just how the city is these days.

Last edited by MissJ; Aug 26, 2017 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I think it is best to always empty the car of everything when traveling when you are parking overnight...
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:37 am

So do I, I always empty my personal car and rental cars. But I still constantly hear about break ins and people losing items and wanted to put out a reminder. I imagine a break in while traveling would be difficult to deal with. Portland is pretty and smaller and some people get complacent.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:04 pm

Hence my post about not parking in the city-owned garage unless you can empty the car. Parking 3 blocks away will limit your ability to move everything over to the hotel, as it did for me. Definitely a trade-off if you're thinking about parking off-site but carrying a lot of stuff.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by MissJ
While violence in the city is very low, property crime is by far the highest of any place I've ever seen.
It is my opinion that violent crime in Portland is not that low and awareness/caution should exercised at all times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.